Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 51 [52] 53   Go Down

Author Topic: Andy H's miniature madness  (Read 42108 times)

Andy H

Re: Andy H's miniature madness
« Reply #612 on: May 20, 2024, 04:23:30 PM »

Thanks for kind words yet again, Shessi.  :)

Good idea about something next to models to give idea of how small they are - I'll try to slip something in on a regular basis (Oo-er missus!)

Coming soon: A quick snack between meals with a couple of wingie-thingies...!  :o

Oh yes, same scale as the ships.  ;D

Andy H

« Reply #613 on: May 21, 2024, 08:31:03 AM »

Just recieved this little feller in the post from a generous member of another forum - he's made a very good start on it, but doesn't get on with such a small scale. So now I've got seven IBG destroyers in the fleet... ;)

...dithering over whether to carry on his good work or cover his neat paint-job with my own - might be a bugger colour-matching. I could even start another IBG 'I' class to avoid going out of sequence on the part-built one...yeah, logic not my most obvious strength sometimes.  ;D

Andy H

« Reply #614 on: May 21, 2024, 01:03:02 PM »

Here comes that air cover I mentioned...

Thanks for dropping by - back soon with more long-range lunacy  ;)

Shessi

« Reply #615 on: May 22, 2024, 03:51:06 AM »

Now that's more my thang!

CC a passion of mine, and the Battle of the North Atlantic in general.

How about a diorama showing a Wimpy or Sund depth charge attack on a u-boat, or maybe a warship picking up survivors from a sinking u-boat with air cover overhead?

That's the great thing about creative hobbies, be it sim or plastic, the world is your lobster..;)

Cheers

Shessi

tomoose

• Modder
  • Iiiiiiiit's ME! Hurrah!!
    • 71 "Eagle" Squadron
« Reply #616 on: May 22, 2024, 07:29:01 AM »

Years ago I worked in a machine shop and the old fella in the tool crib was a rear-gunner on a Sunderland.  I remember he told me that immediately after landing you did not want to touch the bottom of the fuselage/hull as it was quite hot from the landing.  I found that interesting as you intuitively wouldn't expect the friction of the water to be an issue. 

Andy H

« Reply #617 on: May 24, 2024, 11:04:13 AM »

Years ago I worked in a machine shop and the old fella in the tool crib was a rear-gunner on a Sunderland.  I remember he told me that immediately after landing you did not want to touch the bottom of the fuselage/hull as it was quite hot from the landing.  I found that interesting as you intuitively wouldn't expect the friction of the water to be an issue.

Interesting stuff. I must confess it's not something I'd thought of, but once you know about such things it's hard to forget. I've just read that British battleship designers paid a lot of attention to how the wind would react to the shape of high bridge structures - not that such matters spring to mind when looking at what looks like a steel tower block fixed to the deck.

Well...yet again, what was planned as a minor distraction from the big stuff has taken up a lot of time.  ;D

Very much a work in progress, a fair bit of tidying-up and touching in to go - you know how I roll by now. Currently sifting through spare 1/72 serial number decals for suitable fuselage lettering...

Thanks for looking in - back soon with more miniature maritime madness  ;)

Andy H

« Reply #618 on: May 26, 2024, 08:54:53 AM »

I think that'll do it until I put the props on...

Meanwhile, I've started playing with the kindly donated IBG HMS Ilex. Seizing an opportunity to get to know the LifeColor RN paint sets, I matched the colour call-outs on the kit's painting guide. It brushes on nicely, but seems quite thin, needing a few coats...

Thanks for dropping by - back soon with more hairy stick happenings

Andy H

« Reply #619 on: May 27, 2024, 11:32:20 AM »

Plodding along...

I'm quite taken with the LifeColour paints, they give a very smooth finish. A happy accident with fore deck, some Tamiya gunmetal was left on the brush and floated to the top of an Army Painter Light Tone wash - it'll look quite effective when the matt varnish goes on, but don't try it at home, kids.  :-|

The kit's donor got me off to a good start. Time for a dry-fit and a ponder as to just how much of my resin upgrade kits are going into this one...

...much to do, but it should like an 'I'-Class destroyer by the time I've finished it. I've got a vested interest in making a good job of a ship named 'Ilex'.  ;D

Thanks for looking in - back soon with more plastic pandemonium  ;)

rogeroger

• Missioneer
« Reply #620 on: June 11, 2024, 03:47:05 AM »

Methinks Andy has lost the battle for the dining room table again. ;D

Andy H

« Reply #621 on: June 11, 2024, 08:52:47 AM »

Been busy over-thinking how to do replacement gun tubs and studying resin replacement parts. Not much to show for it all... :(

I have been getting in some book learnin'...

And awaiting delivery of a couple of Chinese resin kits...

Got a feeling this one might jump the queue...

;)

KingTiger503

• Legendary History Luftwaffe Elite Ace ,,,
  • Supporter
  • KT503 Elite
« Reply #622 on: June 11, 2024, 09:23:45 AM »

What a Fine Collection of Yours... Its that a Stug IV,, I really Love your Collection Andy.

Best Regards KT503
My Greatest and Best Regards KT503

Andy H

« Reply #623 on: June 11, 2024, 12:00:27 PM »

What a Fine Collection of Yours... Its that a Stug IV,, I really Love your Collection Andy.

Best Regards KT503

Thanks very much for kind words.  :)

Yes - it's the old Tamiya Stug IV, which still scrubs up very well. I've got a King Tiger in the stash, and have just obtained the last detail set I need for it before starting...it'll be some way off, though - bitten bad by the shipbuilding bug.  ;)

Pages: 1 ... 49 50 51 [52] 53   Go Up

Page created in 0.161 seconds with 27 queries.