Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 23 [24] 25 26   Go Down

Author Topic: Royal Navy Pack - HMS Nelson - HMS Rodney - HMS Devonshire - HMS Leander - HMS Ajax - HMS Vampire - HMS Hermes - N48 Medway Queen - HMS Valiant - HMS Repulse - HMS Black Swan - HMS Dido - HMS Hood  (Read 42835 times)

stanislao

• Modder

Hans-Joachim Marseille

"United we stand against Evil." #FCKPTN. #SlavaUkraini

stanislao

• Modder

;D  Great beautiful ship! I had difficulty in visualizing the ship in the game, both in the static and in the moving form .. luckily my friend Thorsten intervened and suggested that I check the entry in Ships.ini of the entry [gun_RocketGunUP] ... I thought I had already entered it before but I was wrong .. inserted that item everything went right!
From the photos of the time it appears that the cruiser HMS Hood has never seen a battle livery .. he came into conflict with her light gray paint and was sunk with that paint. From the color photos of the time, however, it seems of a much lighter color than the one proposed by WofW .. I could lighten all the files and give it a brighter look.

asheshouse

• SAS Team

May 41 photo in Battleships, RA Burt, appears to show a darker paint finish than in all previous late 30s photos. Darker paintwork would be appropriate for Home Fleet operating out of Scapa Flow.

Peter Lynn

Thank you for one of the most tragic vessels to ever take to the high seas, Ashes. Compliments of the season!

Mick

• Modder

May 41 photo in Battleships, RA Burt, appears to show a darker paint finish than in all previous late 30s photos. Darker paintwork would be appropriate for Home Fleet operating out of Scapa Flow.

... yep, you're right, looks like the usual paint for ships operating in the Atlantic was dark grey, as it was light grey for those operating in the Med ...

The Hood for Atlantic operations (dark grey) :

Here the Hood being repainted for the Med operations (light grey) :

stanislao

• Modder

:-|   I am perplexed .. I found several vintage photos also in color of the two versions, the previous one to the 1938 restoration, which eliminated the lateral fixed guns and placed the secondary armament in the revolving turrets, both versions show a gray color clear .. so is it likely that the change in tone may have occurred at the end of the summer of 1941? Anyway I have almost finished a clearer version, the choice is yours. Mick, the photos you published refer the first to the pre-restoration version, the last two clearly show the second and last version and the repainting done in lighter gray ... (it is always painted starting from top to bottom .. )   ;)

cbradbury

That seems to be the general pattern (no pun intended) - dark grey for Home Fleet, light grey for the Med, but there was also a short period in early 1941 with an experimental mixed scheme:

http://www.hmshood.com/hoodtoday/models/tips/hoodpaint.htm

Personally I think she looks best in light grey, and I will be using that when stan completes it.

stanislao

• Modder

:D   Thanks Cbradbury! The document you published is very interesting! Now I understand the progress of the last stages of painting the Hood, apparently she was repainted in light gray in early 1940 for the Mediterranean and then moving on to Scapa Flow in 1941 repainted in dark gray.   8)

Mick

• Modder

... yep, exceptionnal site, many THX Cbradbury ...!  ;)

Let's not forget the HMS Hood took part in the (much controversial) French fleet attack, Mers el Kebir, July 1940, so she was most probably painted light grey then ...  ;)

Mick

• Modder

... from Cbradbury's link ...  :-X

One thing is for absolute certain:

"Hood never had a red bottom."

"Below Waterline: Surviving D495 Reports of Docking contained in ADM 136/13 (the ship's books) confirmed that everything under the waterline, to include the propeller shafts and rudder, was coated in Peacock & Buchan's anti-fouling paint (which was only supplied in grey and black). While there is some anecdotal evidence that Hood may have had a black underside around the time of her loss, photos taken as late as 22 May 1941 as well as footage of the wreck itself show the underside colour to be lighter than the black boot topping. This, combined with previous use, strongly suggest her bottom was coated in Peacock & Buchan's anti-fouling grey."

https://www.sovereignhobbies.co.uk/blogs/sovereign-about-us-research-and-development/hms-hoods-colour-below-the-waterline-anti-fouling-paint

Stany, looks like you've got some modifications to make (bsb010_hood_1941_a.tga) ...!  8)
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 23 [24] 25 26   Go Up

Page created in 0.08 seconds with 27 queries.