Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Increased live time for some aerial gun projectiles  (Read 1651 times)

WxTech

• Modder
Increased live time for some aerial gun projectiles
« on: January 28, 2023, 11:00:50 AM »

UPDATE: Jan 29, 2023: I noticed that I had overlooked 8 classes, all whose names begin with "MGunTs". They are Hispano404, Oerlikon and MAC1934 derivatives. Archive updated.

Get it here:

https://www.mediafire.com/file/evw38fg7vyzb6v1/%2521%2521%2521_Gun_class_timeLife_increase.7z/file

From the included and updated readme file:

A number of aerial guns have projectiles with what seem to be rather brief live times. These times set both tracer disappearance AND termination from existence. If you've wondered why no hits at longer range for certain cannons were ever possible, or why no ground/water hits could be seen inspite of other ordnance causing such hits al much longer range, now you know why. For instance, the Hispano 20mm rounds winked out of existence after merely 1.5 seconds, typically. Yet the Browning and SAFAT .50 lived for 6.5 seconds.

I have identified 36 (UPDATE: 44) weapons for treatment. You can see which ones by perusing the Java folder for the names. Any text editor will open the .java files, if you're curious to see what's there and what was changed. I keep the original values in place, REM'd out with "//" characters.

Where smaller calibre bullets had 1.0 or 1.1 second live times, I increased them to 1.8 seconds.

For 20mm+ calibres, values of less than 3 seconds were increased to 3.

These might be considered conservative. As a first stab at it, I prefer to remain cautious against the potential for unintended consequences. In future this could certainly be revisited.

These classes come from B.A.T. 4.1.3., and should be widely compatible. I did note a couple of differences from my B.A.T. 4.0 install. In particular, there were a couple the newer versions of classes which were made to implement a parent class, using that parent's various properties (instead of having those properties specified within the class).

I place the hashed classfiles in the root folder where they belong. I include also folders each for the classes and the Java files.

This work is absolutely NOT definitive, being based purely on complaints, feelings and desires! :-D

##########################################################################
UPDATE, a few hours later: I noticed that I had overlooked 8 classes, all whose names begin with "MGunTs". They are Hispano404, Oerlikon and MAC1934 derivatives.
##########################################################################

WxTech
Jan 28-29, 2023
Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people. - Hyman Rickover (but probably predating his use.)

shardana

Re: Increased live time for some aerial gun projectiles
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2023, 11:38:27 AM »

Wil it be in your next effects release? hope so. Like everything else you do.

WxTech

• Modder
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2023, 12:07:16 PM »

If no bad consequences arise, I'll certainly incorporate increased live times into the classes I include with my effects pack.
Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people. - Hyman Rickover (but probably predating his use.)

choctaw111

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2023, 01:38:43 PM »

I appreciate your quick response to my request.  It's something that's bothered me going all the back to the Il2 initial release in '02!  Did no one else besides me ever discuss it?

choctaw111

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2023, 02:33:01 PM »

I noticed that the cannons on the DH Vampire are unaffected by the mod.
How many different types of 20mm cannons are there for the allies?

WxTech

• Modder
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2023, 02:36:57 PM »

It might be that my WAW classes don't include weapons appropriate to JTW?

choctaw111

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2023, 02:54:07 PM »

Ah ok.  You know a LOT more about this stuff than I do, but I was not using the Jet Age pack.  I was still in WAW.
I was also doing some testing on the bomb effects so I figured I try out the PE8 with the 5,000 KG bomb!
The explosion was tiny so then I tried a Tall Boy and that was a big explosion!

WxTech

• Modder
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2023, 03:32:51 PM »

Don't ever think I'm some kind of guru. I'm just another chimp flinging poo! 😀

choctaw111

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2023, 04:39:39 PM »

Don't ever think I'm some kind of guru. I'm just another chimp flinging poo! 😀
maybe, but you know which poo to grab and where to fling it

choctaw111

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2023, 04:49:44 PM »

I just tested the 20mm in the P39 and it seems to be unaffected by your mod.
Same with the P38.
Is there more than 1 type of 20mm cannon for the allies in the code?

WxTech

• Modder
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2023, 05:29:50 PM »

We'd need to know with certainty which gun a plane uses, and I'm not sure how to find out. Told you I ain't no guru!  ;)

I have had strange instances from time to time where the solution was to locate the same classfiles in BAT's Classes-ObjectsWeapon folder and rename them with a preceding "-" character.

If you're 7sing a more recent version that my BAT 4.0, you can probably use either the hashed classfiles (they have 16-character hexadecimal names or the *.class files. You could try moving the .class files into this mods root folder and move the classfiles out of the game altogether. Now I have no direct experience of this at all. I hope VampirePilot will chime in.

WxTech

• Modder
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2023, 11:16:43 PM »

I just tested in my BAT 4.0, and things are working. My Spit's cannons are now reaching out to the 3 second mark. The .303 rounds formerly giving up the ghost at 1 second are now lasting the expected 1.8 seconds, as confirmed by the denser pattern of water hits. And the 110G's MG81 pink stingers are whipping past me at ranges where formerly they disappeared before even reaching me.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.068 seconds with 27 queries.