Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Increased live time for some aerial gun projectiles  (Read 1601 times)

WxTech

• Modder
Re: Increased live time for some aerial gun projectiles
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2023, 11:39:56 PM »

UPDATE: Jan 29, 2023: I noticed that I had overlooked 8 classes, all whose names begin with "MGunTs". They are Hispano404, Oerlikon and MAC1934 derivatives. Archive updated.
Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people. - Hyman Rickover (but probably predating his use.)

WxTech

• Modder
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2023, 06:24:58 AM »

Yaro,
I get nothing like that, day or night. In your images I can't tell what that dead straight, broken line is... It seems more like a very long 'richochet' effect. How long did it last? Was it moving or stationary? Details, man.  ;)
Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people. - Hyman Rickover (but probably predating his use.)

choctaw111

« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2023, 07:34:45 AM »

I just tested in my BAT 4.0, and things are working. My Spit's cannons are now reaching out to the 3 second mark. The .303 rounds formerly giving up the ghost at 1 second are now lasting the expected 1.8 seconds, as confirmed by the denser pattern of water hits. And the 110G's MG81 pink stingers are whipping past me at ranges where formerly they disappeared before even reaching me.
Awesome!  Again, I'd be remiss if I didn't point out that the developers definitely intended for lots of bullets to be calculated all at once when they introduced the 50BMG with its long flight time.  I don't see why it would be a problem to simply increase all ammo types to beyond their "effective" ranges.  Is the tracer time really the same and the live time?  I ask because we have bullets with no tracer that are calculated as well.  I know in BOS the tracer time and live time are independent numbers.

WxTech

• Modder
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2023, 07:47:51 AM »

Live times set the period of existence. If a tracer is assigned, that same time determines its interval of visibility. These can never differ.

Each individual round on the belt sequence can have its own discrete live time.

I wonder why some live times were set to be so short. Could this have been arrived at as some measure of balancing out effectiveness?

It sure seems odd to make an explosive round cease to be after just 1.5 seconds. I'm not aware of some timed deactivation of the fuse. (There can be a timed terminal burst, as far as I understand.)

I have no issue with further boosting live times where appropriate, as long as this does not introduce any other upsetting/unbalancing issues.  ;)

choctaw111

« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2023, 07:56:57 AM »

Thanks for the update!
Now what about tracer appearance?
I had actually modified the tracers in a copy of ModACT that I've had for years.
I increased their length and brightness.
Where are those files located in the BAT version?

WxTech

• Modder
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2023, 08:32:21 AM »

The 3D tracers are modeled in

3do/Effects/Tracers/

Inside the Tracers folder are a number of other folders, one each for all the tracer colors, which contains the mesh which models the 3D tracer. Also present is a TEXTURES folder containing the little .tga images that are mapped to the mesh.

There are a number of existing tracer mods that have this material present and which you can further tweak. You could obtain my v1.5 effects pack and pull out just this stuff, as a basis to build upon.

choctaw111

« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2023, 07:35:03 AM »

The 3D tracers are modeled in

3do/Effects/Tracers/

Inside the Tracers folder are a number of other folders, one each for all the tracer colors, which contains the mesh which models the 3D tracer. Also present is a TEXTURES folder containing the little .tga images that are mapped to the mesh.

There are a number of existing tracer mods that have this material present and which you can further tweak. You could obtain my v1.5 effects pack and pull out just this stuff, as a basis to build upon.

Since my mesh tracers aren't working, only the line kind, what should the file structure be?  I have your FX mod installed and I see the smoke effects but not the tracer effects?  It looks like all the mesh files and .tga files are in the mod but maybe I didn't place them correctly?

WxTech

• Modder
« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2023, 09:01:56 AM »

The tracer resources are where they're supposed to be within the context of the Effect folder contents. If other effects are working, we should expect the tracers to work also.

That there is no console warning of a failure to load resources suggests a simple conflict of some sort. Or effectively a setting which disables the drawing of the 3D meshes, which I see no way of occuring just by installing my mod pack. It's not happened for other users that I'm aware of.

What other mods lie above mine in your mods folder?

Parenthetical, I'll add that by the time one gets to grips with being comfortable about installing all kinds of mods and handling conflicts with panache, one is almost qualified to be a modder himself!  😀

choctaw111

« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2023, 09:29:03 AM »

The tracer resources are where they're supposed to be within the context of the Effect folder contents. If other effects are working, we should expect the tracers to work also.

That there is no console warning of a failure to load resources suggests a simple conflict of some sort. Or effectively a setting which disables the drawing of the 3D meshes, which I see no way of occuring just by installing my mod pack. It's not happened for other users that I'm aware of.

What other mods lie above mine in your mods folder?

Parenthetical, I'll add that by the time one gets to grips with being comfortable about installing all kinds of mods and handling conflicts with panache, one is almost qualified to be a modder himself!  😀
I have no other mods installed.  I tried 2 ways. 
First, simply placing the files into the #WAW folder.  The increased live times of the bullets is working, as are the smoke effects, etc.  Just no tracer meshes, only the simple lines. 
Second using JSGME.  The files appear in the JSGME window and I add them to the mods list but am alerted to a couple conflicts within JSGME.  Once running the sim, I don't see ANY changes that have taken effect.  The squiggly tracers are back as I believe they're part of the 4.2.2 Hotfix.
I'm currently not using the JSGME mod installer and rather, placed the files back into #WAW.  The tracer are only lines, but at least I get the extended live times and other good effects. 
I would still love to find a solution to this problem
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.074 seconds with 27 queries.