Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: The Wastelands map - a fictional desert map  (Read 4318 times)

agracier

• Modder
    • The Great War in a Different Light
The Wastelands map - a fictional desert map
« on: March 04, 2022, 03:48:58 PM »

Here's a download link for a fictional map of a desert area. It can be a stand-in for anywhere in North Africa, the Arabian peninsula or the Horn of Africa. I used real names but assigned them to fictional villages and oases and ended up with a considerably sized actors and thus lots of objects that still seem to be lost in the immense interior wasteland. Most habitation is along the coasts where you'll also find 3 of the 4 airfields.

My main intent was to make the terrain look believable and immersive and avoid for the most part a sand desert. Instead, like many arid and desolate places, I tried for a more greyish colored landscape with rocks, stone and sparse vegetation with dusty paths across dried out fields.

I'll give my standard recommendations to fly missions low and set the weather to hazy or worse and to avoid flying around noon.

Download link
https://www.mediafire.com/file/7k06y6x2gb0rowa/ag_Wastelands.7z/file

Some screencaps which will give a better idea how the map looks:

Artiglio

• Modder
Re: The Wastelands map - a fictional desert map
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2022, 04:13:02 PM »

Wow wow wow
After downloading Syldavia-Borduria, now also comes the desert scenery with the map of the Wastelands.
I really like this direction with hypothetical alternative scenarios,
you are a mine of agracier talent.

Thank you  ;)

cgagan

• SAS Team
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2022, 01:07:53 AM »

Stunning scenery! D/loading now... many thanks (again and again...)  8)

Yaro59

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2022, 02:42:12 AM »

It looks quite interesting in the screenshots.
I will download and install it.

Thank you, good job

agracier

• Modder
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2022, 03:09:14 AM »

It looks quite interesting in the screenshots.
I will download and install it.

Thank you, good job

When you try the map, it looks best flying low with hazy or worse weather. And avoid flying around noon. Just a tip. I am often flabbergasted at how different the terrain looks with perfect/good weather. All the screenshots were made with hazy weather around 08h or 16h and with the random skies mod, which accounts for the various cloud types.

Mick

• Modder
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2022, 03:25:34 AM »

... a very nice fictitious desert map ...!  8)

Loads OK in my game (4.09), but alas, like for your recent maps, I can't save missions (my log is 1.56 Mo) because of missing objects (flame and yellow trees, Mongolya houses and horse&rider etc ...) ...  :-[

Don't get me wrong, I am not complaining, as a map builder will always build a new map using the objects he's got in his own game version, which is quite normal, not knowing these objects may not be included in other game versions ...  ::(

I wish nice flights to those who will be able to fly on this new map ...!  ;)

cbradbury

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2022, 04:33:13 AM »

Really, really, good. One thing (of many) that I particularly like about this mini masterpiece is that it is actually fairly well-populated, but most of the villages are not marked on the map. This makes recon missions very important as you essentially need to explore an unknown land. I am a big fan of recon, and it also suits my 'low and slow' style. Take a Stearman up and fly around - you'll see what I mean.

Supply missions to ground forces at an oasis with those Italian three-engined aircraft would also make great missions here.

agracier

• Modder
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2022, 05:18:40 AM »

... a very nice fictitious desert map ...!  8)

Loads OK in my game (4.09), but alas, like for your recent maps, I can't save missions (my log is 1.56 Mo) because of missing objects (flame and yellow trees, Mongolya houses and horse&rider etc ...) ...  :-[

I'm really sorry about not being able to save missions in 4.09. I made the map in a map maker 4.10 version and now in BAT, which is now my default version to fly in, all the objects are included with the default BAT install. Those objects also seem to have been default installed in 4.10.

Why not have multiple versions of Il-2? Just to try them out? You might be surprised at the newer versions. Or else try to find the install packs for the missing objects?

I was a 4.10 DBW hold out for some time and now I would never care to go back. And by having multiple working versions of Il-2, you can get used to newer versions and always have a backup on hand.

Mission_bug

• Modder
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2022, 11:38:48 AM »

Excellent, thank you very much, really appreciated. 8)

Take care and be safe.

Wishing you all the very best, Pete. ;D

Venator77

• Missioneer
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2022, 12:02:35 PM »

Quick question agracier, will we see more maps set in the USA? There are a lot of alternate history scenarios that could be made including those from popular media.

agracier

• Modder
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2022, 12:48:36 PM »

Quick question agracier, will we see more maps set in the USA? There are a lot of alternate history scenarios that could be made including those from popular media.

I made a basic map once on request that was of the Pensacola area. I didn't populate it because I couldn't really do it justice without placing so many objects it would have reduced the frs to unflyable rates.

That is also the reason why I have a hard time finding any suitable areas in Europe as well. I prefer to leave those areas over to others who have better insights into making European maps. I always seem to end up with desolate arid places and Pacific or indeterminate islands. I can get them to look like how i have them in mind.  And also, I like to have mountains/hills in my maps. They make the textures look so much better and reduce tiling effects.

But all that said, if you have any suggestions, go ahead and post them. I can always use inspiration.

agracier

• Modder
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2022, 12:50:04 PM »

And I also had a basic Cuba map of the Bay of Pigs area that I posted without objects.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.065 seconds with 27 queries.