Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: The Wastelands map - a fictional desert map  (Read 4266 times)

Venator77

• Missioneer
Re: The Wastelands map - a fictional desert map
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2022, 02:51:17 PM »

But all that said, if you have any suggestions, go ahead and post them. I can always use inspiration.

Appalachian Mountains, New England, LA, San Fransisco, Seattle and Vancouver, Colorado, the Midwest, and coastal Texas are big ones I'd like to see.

dsawan

« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2022, 04:45:49 AM »

coastal Texas Id like to see too. Perfect for ww2 subhunting or bombing oil facilities what ifs.

agracier

• Modder
    • The Great War in a Different Light
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2022, 05:58:37 AM »

coastal Texas Id like to see too. Perfect for ww2 subhunting or bombing oil facilities what ifs.

All interesting areas, but probably a bit difficult in terms of using objects and creating a good illusion. Also pretty flat and sadly flat terrain makes for difficult placement of textures, the tiling effect becomes very pronounced in flat terrain.

But hey, maybe I can come up with decent textures for such places and put together a basic map, flyable with a few objects only.

cbradbury

« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2022, 06:15:02 AM »

IMHO the only area worth considering in North America would be the East Coast and/ or Caribbean. You know, where stuff did actually take place against U-boats rather than entering the realms of fantasy.

Caribbean at least offers a large number of smallish islands, many of them hilly - much more suited to the style of your maps. Also would lend itself to Haiti, Grenada, and Cuba missions. And anti-drug running for that matter.

agracier

• Modder
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2022, 06:39:30 AM »

Caribbean at least offers a large number of smallish islands, many of them hilly - much more suited to the style of your maps. Also would lend itself to Haiti, Grenada, and Cuba missions. And anti-drug running for that matter.

I made - a not all that good looking - map of the Bahamas which I believe was posted here at some time. That's sort of the Caribbean.

dsawan

« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2022, 02:15:09 PM »

Found this, they did operate in the gulf of mexico and off texas during ww2.

https://heartoflouisiana.com/u-boats-in-the-gulf/
https://heartoflouisiana.com/u-boats-in-the-gulf/

Showing results for did german u boats operate off the coast of texas during ww2
Search instead for did german uboats operate off the coast of texas during ww2
20, 2019 6:34 a.m. The U-166, which sits nearly a mile below the Gulf of Mexico, just off the Texas coast, was sunk by Allied forces during WWII. It was discovered decades later.

Venator77

• Missioneer
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2022, 04:48:53 PM »

IMHO the only area worth considering in North America would be the East Coast and/ or Caribbean. You know, where stuff did actually take place against U-boats rather than entering the realms of fantasy.

West Coast also work for Japanese submarines or even alternate scenerios of Japanese invasion.

agracier

• Modder
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2022, 04:59:12 PM »

I've got quite a few maps in various stages on completion and as you know, even one map takes quite a bit of work to finish.

However basic maps that work in Il-2, with 1 texture, are not hard to make at all. I can make some of those if other members are up to finishing them with texturing and populating them. They come with all the layered masterfiles needed to finish working on the texture placement and such ...

hotas01

« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2022, 01:40:04 PM »

Thks Agracier for work, but "load ini error" when installed !! 4.122 + sasmodact5.3 + boomer objects pack
some of your maps are ok but this one no. Dakar too. same error. you built it with ? thanks for help.

agracier

• Modder
« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2022, 01:57:36 PM »

Thks Agracier for work, but "load ini error" when installed !! 4.122 + sasmodact5.3 + boomer objects pack
some of your maps are ok but this one no. Dakar too. same error. you built it with ? thanks for help.

Have you hit <shift> + <tab> when the map won't open because of the loading error? You will get a list of lines (loading log I presume) and those near the end should give a hint or indication of what went wrong.

Often it can be a missing item like a (tree) texture perhaps or a missing object ...

In any case, I build my maps in an old 4.10 version of a map maker. It is possible it has a few added items. In BAT the maps work fine without my having added any items at all.

genXgamer

« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2022, 03:36:43 PM »

G'day hotas01

Get the console on screen shift+tab as agracier said then post screenshot.

My experience.

Missing an object map won't save.
Missing texture map won't load.

In this case I'm guessing it has to do with textures (HD textures?).
Go in quickly - Punch hard - Get out!

agracier

• Modder
« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2022, 06:16:58 AM »

You might try editing the load.ini.

Tree0 = Trees\BlossomTree.tga   //Trees\Gaut-AlteredBush8a.tga  //AlteredBush9a.tga

the blossom tree might not be included in your setup. I used it because it fits in well with a desert landscape. You can however use any other tree. In the above line, use any of the tree files that have been disabled, those after the //

Like this for instance:

Tree0 = Trees\Trees\Gaut-AlteredBush8a.tga  //AlteredBush9a.tga
or like this
Tree0 = Trees\AlteredBush9a.tga

Or use any kind of other default tree you wish.

Not certain if this is what causes your loading error, but it is worth giving a try and easy to do by editing the load.ini ...
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.069 seconds with 26 queries.