Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 45 46 47 [48] 49 50 51   Go Down

Author Topic: Andy H's miniature madness  (Read 40392 times)

rogeroger

• Missioneer
Re: Andy H's miniature madness
« Reply #564 on: April 08, 2024, 06:37:15 PM »

The e-class sea colour looks good in reply #562. Great job on both models.
Not quite Plastix, but I found this vid to be quite fascinating.

Andy H

« Reply #565 on: April 09, 2024, 11:07:53 AM »

Hi, mate! How's things?  :)

Wow! That's quite inspiring.  ;D

rogeroger

• Missioneer
« Reply #566 on: April 09, 2024, 12:56:41 PM »

Hi, mate! How's things?  :)
Hi Andy, all good here.

Wow! That's quite inspiring.  ;D

Yeah! that model is a work of art, I love the mini arc welder.

Downloaded this recently from the abandonware site, and it can also be downloaded for free from the subsim forum, though you would have to register.

The abandonware version comes with dgvoodoo already set up which is needed to play this old but great title. I thought that it might further inspire you in your shipbuilding phase. ;)
I have only messed around with the training missions so far and it's a lot of fun. Check the review. The ships can be controlled via voice commands , something that I have not encountered in other naval sims.

review:
https://www.subsim.com/ssr/enigma/enigma_review.htm

download:
https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/downloads.php?do=file&id=4361
https://www.myabandonware.com/game/enigma-rising-tide-gold-edition-jnk

Andy H

« Reply #567 on: April 09, 2024, 02:13:34 PM »

Cheers! I'll look into that.  :)

Meanwhile, my plastic fleet's getting bigger...

...and I've ordered some 1/700 crew figures  :o  - to be honest I'm expecting the pain in the arse factor to be pretty high with them, but I'm willing to experiment. At that scale and with the right optical assistance, maybe the thickness of a coat of paint will enable duffel coats and other items.

My radio died this morning, and liking things 'just so' while I'm building, couldn't work without classical music (at exactly the right level, of course), have ordered a rapid replacement, so work should resume tomorrow.

Stay tuned.  ;)

rogeroger

• Missioneer
« Reply #568 on: April 09, 2024, 06:51:30 PM »

Listening to that "posh" music are we? ;D

Good on yer mate! I have my favourites going when I work on my 3d and texture editing hobby, really helps with the concentration.

This symphony, first movement by Mozart is current viewing and listening featuring Lorrenza Borrani as musical director.

AAAND absolute bloody favourite, Norwegian chamber orchestra with Lorrenza Borrani as lead violin and musical director. They really have fun here, great to watch. :)

P.S. Anything by the Norwegian chamber orchestra is worth a watch and listen. Youtube channel here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzGIVCot1TFLaOLTkyewzzw

Andy H

« Reply #569 on: April 10, 2024, 10:44:33 AM »

Yay! Back in business!  ;D

rogeroger

• Missioneer
« Reply #570 on: April 10, 2024, 06:45:36 PM »

A rousing piece to herald the arrival of a very cool looking radio. ]headbang[

Somehow it conjures up images of a big aqua grin emoji. ]dontknow[

]thumbsup[ ]thumbsup[ ;D

p.s. Looking forward to your work on the HMS Hermes.

Andy H

« Reply #571 on: April 12, 2024, 10:18:03 AM »

I keep waiting for Clark Gable or Burt Lancaster giving it a 'Now hear this!' through the grille  ;D

Meanwhile...Andy H in gets something done shocker!  o_O

Nicely detailed pieces, some of which require delicate work to remove from sprues. Dry-fitted sub-assembles, I'm going to have slap some paint on her soon. Tiny warpage on stern deck - nothing holding in place while glue sets won't fix.

Thanks for looking - back soon with more Tribal-class tomfoolerey  ;)

Andy H

« Reply #572 on: April 13, 2024, 02:47:01 AM »

Until the LifeColor sets I ordered turn up, I'll carry on with Tamiya and Revell paints. First go with a couple of drops of Tamiya paint retarder, it certainly slows drying time and the risk of the dreaded paint-lift when going over previously covered areas, but a second coat might well be in order. It really is as interesting as watching paint dry at the moment...

Thanks for looking in - back soon with more seafaring skullduggery  ;)

HMS Eskimo made it home for repair after suffering a minor mishap at the second battle of Narvik - 84 years ago to this very day. She survived the war taking further damage along the way and having been used as a target ship was sold for scrap in 1949.

Andy H

« Reply #573 on: April 13, 2024, 11:15:02 AM »

A little more progress...

Drybrush, wash, drybrush, wash...getting a little more precise with each application. Getting used to not sticking everything together before painting. Talking of painting, the provided colour chart seems way off to me - I'll be going for a much lighter scheme.

Thanks for dropping by - back soon with more maritime mischief  ;)

HMS Eskimo and other destroyers refitting at Durban by Vivian Pitchforth.

rogeroger

• Missioneer
« Reply #574 on: April 14, 2024, 04:25:40 AM »

Durban South Africa?
Great holiday destination, lovely beaches and warm water. The sailors must have had an absolute ball after service in the cold waters of Norway.

It's rather sad that some of these vessels were used as target practice after years of service. I wonder what the men who served on her thought about it.

Some interesting nautical vids I've watched recently:

Andy H

« Reply #575 on: April 16, 2024, 03:48:43 AM »

Durban and Cape Town were popular ports of call. South African hospitality was very much-appreciated.

From some of that fancy book-learnin' that goes with maritime modelling...

(Having originally been scheduled to spend a week in Cape Town, Prince of Wales was ordered to Singapore - and all that it would entail...)

"It had still been a very happy two days for the men of the Prince of Wales and the two destroyers (Electra & Express), The Prince of Wales had arrived on a Sunday and an estimated 600 cars had been waiting at Cape Town harbour to carry away the crew to private homes, farms and sightseeing trips ; most of the crew had at least one night ashore and the suvivors of the Prince of Wales cannot speak too highly of the hospitality shown to them. For many men who were not to survive, this South African hospitality was their last taste of civilian conviviality."

Pen & Sword MARITIME Publishing (2022 edition)

Originally published in 1977 under a different title ('Battleship'), delving into what was then recently released material. Very well researched and presented - for a well-known story that gives away the ending in the title, it's a bit of a page-turner. Aware of the pitfalls of hindsight, conjecture, 'what-ifs' and apportioning blame, the book raises interesting points in a thoroughly readable chronicle of events and repurcussions.

Well, not much getting on the workbench due to domestic duties - but you'll all be no doubt surprised that more ships are on the way (addictive personality aside, I'm stockpiling in preparation for a lifestyle change that will involve a lot less disposable income - going to be a lot less buying and a lot more building going on here very soon).

Will hopefully be slapping the main colours on Eskimo at some point today. Stay tuned.  ;)

Pages: 1 ... 45 46 47 [48] 49 50 51   Go Up

Page created in 0.132 seconds with 26 queries.