Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: New Guinea/New Britain map Kokoda name fix  (Read 8396 times)

greybeard

• Modder
  • diligo veritatem
    • Old stuff about RB3D and a tiny "IL2 corner"
Re: New Guinea/New Britain map Kokoda name fix
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2020, 02:08:14 AM »

Thanks, I'll try to fiddle with it a bit.
CPU: AMD Athlon 64 - RAM: 2GB DDR @ 201 MHz - MoBo: ASUSTeK Computer INC. A8N-SLI (Socket 939) - Vidcard: 1024MB NVIDIA GeForce 9400 GT (Club3D) - Screen: L1750SQ (1280x1024@75Hz) - Audio: Realtek AC'97 Audio.

Squashman

• Modder
  • I am Spartacus
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2020, 05:05:33 AM »

Thanks, I'll try to fiddle with it a bit.

Greybeard, if you alter the NGNB map with unlocked FMB, you will have to create a folder in the games' main directory in which to save the altered files. The altered files then have to be transferred to the original map folder in Mapmods.

You create the new folders as follows; IL2/Maps/NGNB_DT (for example)

Once you have used unlocked FMB to change the map, just press the save button and the new files will be saved to the folder you have created. Copy these new files over to the original map folder in Mapmods, allowing the files to overwrite the originals.

Always, always, first make a backup copy of the map folder you are working on.

After you have finished altering the map, change the bld.conf back to how it was, so the FMB becomes locked again (best to use JSGME) and check in your mission that you have moved the spawn points successfully.

The unlocked FMB is really one of the map building tools and as always there is no substitute for experience.
If you prefer, I will have a look at the map and hopefully change the files, so that you can download. It will have to wait a few days though as I am extremely busy at the moment.

Please let me know?

regards Squashman

whistler

• Modder
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2020, 05:15:36 AM »

Cheers Squashman but I am afraid we have just spoiled greaybeard's good night's sleep. He will soon realize he's got now access to ~500 maps to fiddle with ;D
NG-HUD v3.6.1 | NG-MAP v3.2 | NG-CAM v2.0 | NG-PAL v1.2: https://www.sas1946.com/main/index.php/board,93.0.html

Squashman

• Modder
  • I am Spartacus
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2020, 12:04:31 PM »

Cheers Squashman but I am afraid we have just spoiled greaybeard's good night's sleep. He will soon realize he's got now access to ~500 maps to fiddle with ;D

;D

CzechTexan

• Modder
  • TEXAS, USA
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2020, 03:51:42 PM »

You didn't understand! Try to do what you're saying, and then we'll talk about it!

I understand what you are saying.  I'm just trying to explain why those particular airfields are like that.

ONLY THOSE RUNWAYS I HAVE QUOTED ARE DEFECTIVE.

From a map-maker's point-of-view...Mubo (in the mountains) is not defective. I think they did the best that they could do, considering the rough terrain.  The others "could" be defective because the map-maker could have moved the 'red arrow' (in unlocked FMB) so that the planes would be on the runway.  I believe there is enough flat ground to make that possible.  However, you can still use "pairs" as seen below...

However, you're right that those airfields can not be used in the normal takeoff setting, such as in DGEN.
The only solution is to fix the airfields in the unlocked-FMB by moving the 'red arrow' further away from the runway.

greybeard

• Modder
  • diligo veritatem
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2020, 11:56:19 PM »

Squashman,

thank you very much for your hints and tips; actually I had already realized some of them on my own, fiddling with this new (for me) tool, which looks really cool and easy to use.

Unfortunately, I had no luck with this buggy map and its weird takeoff points on some runways, because, notwithstanding I had (apparently) successfully moved by unlocked FMB, when I tested again the map with the new actors.static, the plane at takeoff stubbornly spawned on water (on Salamaua)! ):(

I followed your suggestions, placing the new actors.static and some new files self-generated in the process (texts and an empty one - sorry, I'm going on memory) into MAPMODS folder, inside MODS folder of my 4.13.4 installation.

Perhaps I'm missing something or doing it wrong; I would take advantage of your generous offer to get a well-done, fixed map, when you've time. For now, I'm playing with available airdromes (I mean those with usable takeoff points): I would have had some allied airfields closer to the (moving) front, although TD made another big mistake missing GUSAP, since my Japanese squadron was based all the time at But.

Thanks again,
GB
CPU: AMD Athlon 64 - RAM: 2GB DDR @ 201 MHz - MoBo: ASUSTeK Computer INC. A8N-SLI (Socket 939) - Vidcard: 1024MB NVIDIA GeForce 9400 GT (Club3D) - Screen: L1750SQ (1280x1024@75Hz) - Audio: Realtek AC'97 Audio.

Squashman

• Modder
  • I am Spartacus
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2020, 01:00:34 AM »

Greybeard
No worries; give me a few days and I'll have a look at the map -

Is it only the September '43 map that has the problem airfields at Mubo, Dumpu and Salamaoa?

Note - you can also use unlocked FMB to correct the misspelled Kokoda.

CzechTexan

• Modder
  • TEXAS, USA
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2020, 09:02:34 AM »

I think it would be great if you could fix the airfield takeoff points and fix the Kokoda name and put it all in a general update for the NBNG maps.

greybeard

• Modder
  • diligo veritatem
« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2020, 02:12:51 AM »

Thank you very much!

Is it only the September '43 map that has the problem airfields at Mubo, Dumpu and Salamaoa?
No sir, it is the same for March 1943, January 1944 and June 1944.

Note - you can also use unlocked FMB to correct the misspelled Kokoda.
Thanks, I already did by other means, posting the fix at start of this topic. I noticed, though, that unlocked FMB generates as well a copy of texts file and an empty label file.

About GUSAP, I noticed that it appears on January 1944 map.

Squashman

• Modder
  • I am Spartacus
« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2020, 02:26:05 AM »

Thank you very much!

About GUSAP, I noticed that it appears on January 1944 map.

Greybeard
It looks like I may have solved the problem. So far I have only changed Salamaua airfield but the aircraft can spawn perfectly on the runway and not in the water.
I am working away from home at the moment and do not have access to my gaming PC so this is taking longer than it normally would.

Does Gusap suffer from the same problem as the other airfields?

greybeard

• Modder
  • diligo veritatem
« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2020, 05:19:00 AM »

It looks like I may have solved the problem.
Thank you so much!

Does Gusap suffer from the same problem as the other airfields?
Gusap does have eight runways: I tested Gusap and #5, the latter looking as being the main one, and there are no problems on both.

At But the aircraft is spawned at takeoff about at one fourth of the runway.

At Rabaul-Lakunai a/c is located at takeoff far from both ends of runway:

this hampers player's takeoff(*)

on this side player's takeoff is not compromised (smooth terrain).

I didn't check any other airfield on same map.

Thanks again,
GB

(*): I say "player's takeoff" because, as you know, AI can takeoff almost everywhere.

CzechTexan

• Modder
  • TEXAS, USA
« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2020, 06:57:53 AM »

When adjusting airfield takeoff positions, I suggest testing takeoffs with a fully-loaded bomber to see if there is enough runway available.  Japanese bombers usually do not need much runway but U.S. bombers do.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.077 seconds with 28 queries.