Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Map in 200% Size  (Read 8510 times)

Whiskey_Sierra_972

• Modder
  • In memory of my beloved hero: Saburo SAKAI!
Re: Map in 200% Size
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2010, 11:15:31 AM »

Hi mate!

I also downloaded version and have a corrupted ed_m01!

As the byte difference between them is great , doubling the ed_m02 is a good solution or I should wait for an update?

cheers

walter

agracier

• Modder
    • The Great War in a Different Light
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2010, 11:24:29 AM »

I also downloaded version and have a corrupted ed_m01!
As the byte difference between them is great , doubling the ed_m02 is a good solution or I should wait for an update?

Blistering barnacles ... my version works fine so maybe something happened when making the rar file or during upload?

Anyway, this is just a very basic version to show the proportions in the landscape regarding mountains ... I'll upload a newer version if you like, but if you can get it to work with the above solution, I'd say that's fine too ...

Just for fun I made some shots of areas with mountaintops i know quite well. And I have to say they are quite recognizable in the game - which surprises me ...

And 2 other general shots:

Whiskey_Sierra_972

• Modder
  • In memory of my beloved hero: Saburo SAKAI!
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2010, 11:33:47 AM »

Well mate!

I'll test it with the interim solution immediatly!

About the map scale: which scale you got with this solution?

cheers

walter

agracier

• Modder
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2010, 12:59:39 PM »

About the map scale: which scale you got with this solution?

Well, I'm not a hot shot when it comes to math. But ...

..normally in Microdem with the 'adjust map area' command you choose 50m to equal 1 pixel. That is supposed to give a 1/1 or 100% scale for a map.

If you use 100m to 1 pixel then you get a 50% map or 1/2. This is often done to include a large area in the map, to make large maps for strategic maps.

For this map here, I used 30m to 1pixel, which is almost the same as a 200% map or 2/1 ... (I would have used 25m=1 pixel, but Microdem couldn't handle the memory requirements for the area I choose - so you fudge a bit ...)

Godzyla

« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2010, 01:40:15 PM »

Aneto : The highest summit of (Pyrénées, French. Los Piréneos, Spanish), near the river Garonne, Garona and French border.
Which are the limits of this map?

agracier

• Modder
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2010, 02:49:54 PM »

Aneto : The highest summit of (Pyrénées, French. Los Piréneos, Spanish), near the river Garonne, Garona and French border.
Which are the limits of this map?

That's right - though you can only see the Aneto as an outline on the horizon from this point on the map - just as in real life. And for the Middle Earth fans here, the Aneto is part of the Maladeta massif or les Monts Maudits (in French) which translates roughly as the Doomed Mountains or Mount Doom if you will ... anybody have a ring they want to get rid of? ... ha ha.

Anyway, the limits are approximately from Barbastro/Huesca in the west to the Mediterranean coast in the east, and north from the French border more or less down to just south of Tarragona. Barcelona is nicely off center in the map, but still at the heart of things. Caspe (on the Ebro) is still on the map, but the Ebro mouth is not.

farang65

• never two weeks two decades
  • SAS Team
  • Fortress Formosa
« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2010, 10:35:54 PM »

Hi Agracier,

I've downloaded the update :D Will have a look at this map this week end.
It does look very interesting.
At least your thinking off the normal plane of things  ;)
I think it is a very interesting idea.
One area that I would like to see this idea used  is in Northern Burma and China.
Do you still get the game height cut off point with this scaling?
I made a map of Northern Burma/China and it just looked horrible with very flat mountain tops.
Definitely a good idea to use with very mountanous regions. 8)

All the screen shots look great from you and others. ;D

Cheers Kirby

BravoFxTrt

• "BIGFOOT"
  • Modder
  • Flying Ass Clown #13
« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2010, 11:08:50 PM »

Those are awesome pics Ag.
MSI R9 280X 6GB x2/Crossfire /ASUS M5A99FX PRO R2.0 Mobo/AMD FX 4170 Bulldozer 4core CPU/RAM Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB/ Corsair RM 1000WATT PSU/Windows 10 Enterprise 64bit

agracier

• Modder
« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2010, 01:21:45 AM »

One area that I would like to see this idea used  is in Northern Burma and China.
Do you still get the game height cut off point with this scaling?
I made a map of Northern Burma/China and it just looked horrible with very flat mountain tops.
Definitely a good idea to use with very mountanous regions. 8)

I'm not sure about the cut off height, but I think it is inherent to Il-2 ... whatever the height is (6000m?) it will remain the same in any map I would think ... but I do remember there was a post once somewhere (AAA?) where it was explained that you could set a new base line for what Il-2 'thinks' is 0meters. For instance you choose 3000m as base line 0m and then you can make a decent looking map of areas in the world that are between 3000m and higher on up to 9000m.

There was once an Everest map posted like that - it was a 'for fun' map of course and it also suffered from mountains that looked squished together ... but it does work ...

And as for northern Burma and southern China - a lovely area to map for sure.

SAS~Malone

• flying as #46 with the FAC
  • Editor
  • proud member of that 'other' site
« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2010, 01:52:31 AM »

Blistering barnacles!!! Hahah...one of my all-time favorite comic characters... ;D

8)
.....taking fun seriously since 1968.....  8)

agracier

• Modder
« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2010, 02:07:14 AM »

Blistering barnacles!!! Hahah...one of my all-time favorite comic characters... ;D

The versions I read were with: 'duizend bommen en granaten ...' - you should be able to recognize that I bet ... not too different from Afrikaans ...

Godzyla

« Reply #23 on: May 22, 2010, 11:53:15 AM »

That's right - though you can only see the Aneto as an outline on the horizon from this point on the map - just as in real life. And for the Middle Earth fans here, the Aneto is part of the Maladeta massif or les Monts Maudits (in French) which translates roughly as the Doomed Mountains or Mount Doom if you will ... anybody have a ring they want to get rid of? ... ha ha.

Anyway, the limits are approximately from Barbastro/Huesca in the west to the Mediterranean coast in the east, and north from the French border more or less down to just south of Tarragona. Barcelona is nicely off center in the map, but still at the heart of things. Caspe (on the Ebro) is still on the map, but the Ebro mouth is not.
Thanks for answer, so that map will represnt Cataluña. I've asked this question because I live in the other side of the border, in Toulouse precisely.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.078 seconds with 28 queries.