Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: JTW Guns  (Read 4912 times)

lennygo

• SAS
JTW Guns
« on: January 18, 2017, 08:24:19 AM »

So i love the Jetage and also the detail with Caging guns and uncaging them but,

is it somehow possible that u guys can get radarguided guns scripted its just a request and i would love the first word of the answer to be a straight no or yes cus i dont want a maybe.
hope anyone can reply.

SAS~Monty27

• SAS Team
  • Action and Adventure!
    • SPEEDMACHINE
Re: JTW Guns
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2017, 05:37:29 PM »

So i love the Jetage and also the detail with Caging guns and uncaging them but,

is it somehow possible that u guys can get radarguided guns scripted its just a request and i would love the first word of the answer to be a straight no or yes cus i dont want a maybe.
hope anyone can reply.

If you mean RADAR MISSILES there are two types + Air to Air and Air to Ground: Semi Active Homing Radar and Active Homing Radar + Laser Guided variations.

AIM-9 Sparrow      Semi Active Rear Aspect maintain LOCK during guide to target.
AMRAAM              Active All Aspect LOCK.  Fire and forget or multiple target selection in flight.

AGM-65B Maverick TV Guidance
AGM-65D Maverick IFR Guidance
AGM-65E Maverick Laser Designation

Mavericks will basically lock onto ground objects in front of you, up to about 8Kms.  The IR and Laser Guided types can be locked and controlled through the relevant aircraft optics.  When locked and within launch parameters you will get an audible cue 'Launch Authorised'.

AGM-45 Shrike Vietnam Era Anti SAM Missile  These lock onto active SAM sites - Which means they are firing at you.
AGM-88 HARM Homing Anti Radiation Missile   Hold your nerve and destroy the entire site in one hit before they nail you.

You would normally evade SAMs flying KOE and popping up for your attack.  F105's and F4's over Vietnam would usually need altitude to set up the attack so would arrive high in the target area.  You would then egress at 1000mph treetop height!   The Intruder is much better at all weather KOE Ingress and Egress with all the optics.  Fly it properly, with a dash of luck, they can't lay a glove on you.

For deliberately targetting SAM sites the Shrikes and HARMs do a good job, but you have to up high and offer yourself as a target so that the enemy Radar can be used against themselves.  USAF called it Wild Weasel, USN called it Iron Hand.  Either way, these missions can be very well simulated in B.A.T. The Jet Age nowadays and they really get the blood pumping!

INFO provided with B.A.T. - ...Il2BAT/BATDOCS/...

B.A.T.pdf
USMC F-18CD AV-8B Manual.pdf
Project 85 - Guide.pdf
Project 85 - Missions.pdf
OPS BAKER.pdf

SAS~Storebror

• Editor
  • Taking a timeout
    • STFU
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2017, 10:45:18 PM »

no

Mostly because of this:
i would love the first word of the answer to be a straight no or yes cus i dont want a maybe
...which by the by, lenny, comes along quite arrogating, even in our common native tongue.
And here it gets snotty:
hope anyone can reply

Why not?
Because
radarguided guns
is an AAA thing and AAA is guided by god's myth in IL-2.

Best regards - Mike
Don't split your mentality without thinking twice.

SAS~Monty27

• SAS Team
  • Action and Adventure!
    • SPEEDMACHINE
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2017, 04:43:36 AM »

Well there you are, NO to radar guided guns, whatever they are, and YES to radar guided missiles, bloody loads of 'em!   ;D

Considering the massive amount of work, over so many years, that the modders have put into this, I for one am pleased and grateful that they have shared so much.  Its all rather clever!  ;)

Nobody needs to crawl or arselick, but a bit less snappy offhand smartarse rudery would be good for those who deal it, because its just those individuals that end up marginalised...  o_O

SAS~Storebror

• Editor
  • Taking a timeout
    • STFU
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2017, 04:54:29 AM »

a bit less snappy offhand smartarse rudery
Oh nevermind, I confess myself guilty :D
If you can't take it then don't dish it out.
I can deal with it, hopefully others can too ;)

Best regards - Mike

lennygo

• SAS
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2017, 08:06:50 AM »

Yeah alright i do appreciate the modding of the game i mean who would have thought that we have so many Planes i dont think the developers ever dreamt of this and now its here , but i dont think u got my question right if yes then yes i guess i meant the System for the F86 Sabre RRG or something i dont know whats its called exactly but the small Radar in the F86 well not really that small but that when u uncage the gun and the Radar has picked up an enemy it will automaticly calculate the Bullet drop and u just need to put the Reticle on the plane and pull the Trigger and watch the 4 July again happening in front. ;)

SAS~Monty27

• SAS Team
  • Action and Adventure!
    • SPEEDMACHINE
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2017, 08:25:23 PM »

I think its all down to smartphones. - No punctuation.  ;)

BaronFel181

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2017, 04:38:21 AM »

Seems the question here from the OP is a whether or not the AN/APG-30 ranging radar computes target lead for the F-86E/F. Something a bit different than the K-14 sight for the P-51D and such. I don't know. Hopefully that clarifies a few things. Maybe unnecessary. Have a good day gents.

Koty

• Mr. MiG
  • Modder
  • It's a MiG!
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2017, 02:40:53 AM »

These radar guided guns are actually guns that change convergency dependent on input from the radar. Nothing more. Nothing less.
If I don't have to do it, I won't. If I have to do it, I'll make it quick.

BaronFel181

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2017, 01:06:49 PM »

Koty, I highly doubt that gun convergence was adjusted in flight. The ranging radar simply more effectively provided target location info. If you have a source that says otherwise, I'd love to see it.

Edit: the radar gunsight helped the pilot aline his aircraft, and thus the guns, to the target. That is my understanding, from all I have read about the RRG in the Sabre.

nyali

• Supporter
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2017, 05:00:44 PM »

The radar / gun option you all seem to be talking about.... it worked by detecting range and deflection based on BOTH aircrafts speed etc, then by use of high tech black-magic a little demon would paint a glowing funnel of dots onto the HUD glass..... Wide at the boresight line and narrow at the other end.... the other end would have to be aligned with the target as you pulled the trigger. Thus eliminating the art of deflection shooting the old fashioned way.

SAS~Storebror

• Editor
  • Taking a timeout
    • STFU
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2017, 02:09:58 AM »

it worked by detecting range and deflection based on BOTH aircrafts speed etc
I'm wondering where this comes from.
Mind you: We're not talking about fance 90s gunsights plotting your opponent's estimated flight path on the sight.
This is 40s/50s tech: The AN/APG-30 measures the distance to your target, the relative speed of your target and from these two values "calculates" (mechanically...) the time your bullets need to travel to your target. This is "computed" (mechanically again...) with your bullets trajectory at the given G's pulled.
The result is this: A pipper indicating where your bullets will be when they're at target distance.
This does not include a potential relative movement of your target up/down and/or left/right, that's something the pilot would have to counter by his own estimation.
A radar like the AN/APG-30 simply is incapable of detecting the true relative movement of a target compared to your own plane (let alone computing the true target's movement from this, and that's what would be required to get the estimated target position at a given time). It can only give you a distance (from signal travel time) and relative speed (from reflected signal's doppler shift), that's all.

This means that when you attack from dead six with an F-86 (and this is what pilots tried to achieve in Korea), you would indeed only need to put your pipper on the target as there is no relative movement.
But when we're talking about deflection shooting, then it's still up to the pilot's skill to estimate where his enemy will be when the bullets rush in.

Best regards - Mike
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.071 seconds with 27 queries.