Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 ... 48   Go Down

Author Topic: Share a screen BOS  (Read 109143 times)

panzerkeil

• Woof!
Re: Share a screen BOS
« Reply #72 on: February 17, 2014, 03:33:16 PM »

Thos screenies look very promisiing, but how do the clouds look in BOS? Did they finally manage to replace the cotton balls for some more realistic looking clouds? That would really be the icing on the cake for me.  :)

Herra Tohtori

• Modder
« Reply #73 on: February 17, 2014, 03:58:36 PM »

Thos screenies look very promisiing, but how do the clouds look in BOS? Did they finally manage to replace the cotton balls for some more realistic looking clouds? That would really be the icing on the cake for me.  :)

Current weather doesn't have clouds yet.

If you want to have a baseline, the original version of the game engine is used in Rise of Flight which does have clouds, so we know the game engine can perform at least to that level. Depending on how the developers choose to implement clouds, I'd expect them to be at least that quality, and probably slightly improved.

Just so you know, though - making realistic, good looking clouds is quite difficult. To reproduce "real" clouds' appearance, you would have to essentially make a pretty complicated weather system which would then determine whether water vapour in a certain "cell" of air is completely vapourized or partially condensed into water droplets, and how large those water droplets are. Essentially you'd have to track temperature, density, and humidity throughout your game atmosphere, then implement movements of air as wind, convection currents, etc. etc. based on relative parametres of the air. To get really fancy you could also add the possibility of ice crystals forming, which are needed to produce high altitude clouds like Cirrus, Cirrocumulus, and the top parts of Cumulonimbus clouds.

If you do it with small enough cell size, in theory you should be able to reproduce any cloud formation in existence - completely procedurally. You would get natural "cauliflower" appearance of Cumulus clouds, and you could get the even grey overcast Stratus or Nimbostratus clouds, simply depending on how your simulated weather system is behaving.

However - and this is a big however! - the processing requirements for this kind of system are staggering. To create even a simplified weather system requires a very, very large number of "cells" to interact with each other, and then calculating the simulation in real-time requires basically supercomputers. At this time, we cannot implement this type of system on consumer level electronics, which is probably why it hasn't been done in games.

Mostly, clouds are done with particle systems of some kind, either with lots of small particles "filling" a volume of a cloud's shape (volumetric particles), or with coarser, larger particles with a billboard type texture, dropped into the game in a fixed pattern to create an appearance of cloud from all directions. IL-2 uses the latter type of clouds, and I think most other games use a similar system because large numbers of particles have been too much for most gaming systems in recent history. However, advances in graphics card technologies have made it more feasible to use volumetric particles to create things like smoke, fog, or indeed clouds.

It remains to be seen which one gets used in Battle of Stalingrad but I'm not too worried - it'll probably be perfectly acceptable, good looking solution.

And now, some screenshots to make this post more acceptable for this thread:

"Another successful landing, comrade!"

Typhoon Ib

• SAS Enfant terrible
  • unlock.inc
« Reply #74 on: February 17, 2014, 05:14:26 PM »

i see your tracks... tried some 4x4 type action? why do you think you broke your back, all you did was roll uphill?
Collecting dislikes since December '82.

Herra Tohtori

• Modder
« Reply #75 on: February 17, 2014, 05:23:47 PM »

After getting an engine failure from being damaged by AAA, I made a forced landing on the river, but had too much speed and rolled on the river bank.

why do you think you broke your back, all you did was roll uphill?

There was lots of bouncing involved, you can see a "ramp" near the river's edge... it sent me airborne, then my aircraft came down on the steeper part of the river bank, still traveling upwards before coming to a halt.

The landing gear are made of really sturdy stuff on the IL-2 by the way. Did you know you can do push-ups with the landing gear hydraulics? Unlike the LaGG-3 and the Bf 109, you can actually retract and extend the IL-2's landing gear while on the ground. It wrecks your engine, even if it's not running so you don't really get a prop strike. It just refuses to start afterwards, but the landing gear seems to suffer no ill effects. ;D

Typhoon Ib

• SAS Enfant terrible
  • unlock.inc
« Reply #76 on: February 17, 2014, 11:38:14 PM »

Stalin does not approve of this action! ;D
Still good old IL-2, terrain bouncing like an air castle.

LuseKofte

« Reply #77 on: February 20, 2014, 04:06:55 PM »

Typhoon Ib

• SAS Enfant terrible
  • unlock.inc
« Reply #78 on: February 20, 2014, 05:06:57 PM »

This is NOT going to be an easy transition.
Stuff looks difficult and complex.

(Yesss!!!! 8))

LuseKofte

« Reply #79 on: February 21, 2014, 12:13:32 AM »

Not as complex as CLOD atm. But there is something in this game engine that give you a feeling of realism. No matter the FM , the game physics just feels very good and probably the best yet

CWMV

• Kalashnikov connoisseur
  • Modder
  • A free people ought to be armed and disciplined.
« Reply #80 on: February 21, 2014, 07:08:10 PM »

Not as complex as CLOD atm. But there is something in this game engine that give you a feeling of realism. No matter the FM , the game physics just feels very good and probably the best yet
I disagree.
Hence why my founder account is for sale.

LuseKofte

« Reply #81 on: February 22, 2014, 03:00:01 AM »

:) there are many that hate this game. But I can see me active on this. But put in the light of old IL 2 both CLOD and BOS is a real disappointment . We should expect better from a 2. generation IL 2

Uufflakke

• Modder
« Reply #82 on: February 22, 2014, 04:10:09 AM »

:) there are many that hate this game. But I can see me active on this. But put in the light of old IL 2 both CLOD and BOS is a real disappointment . We should expect better from a 2. generation IL 2

I am very disappointed in BOS as it stands now. I gave up on participating in their forum. Luckily I have not spend one single penny on the alpha version.
Ground textures are bland and low rez, villages look too generic, Stalingrad is very empty, ruines of houses look like cardboard, effects of explosions and smoke are simplistic, the lighting in cockpits is drab. Map itself is so boring with that pristine white snow blanket all over the place. Not to mention the grinding for unlockable stuff.
I, and many others, have mentioned everything already on their forum but everytime the mantra is 'it is an alpha', 'it is only at 36%', 'at least we release a working game', 'we have a budget and a deadline', etc.
But let's face it, official release is in 3 months. In May already. I won't see anything change for the better in such a way I will open my wallet and throw my money to them.
(For a game that might have looked revolutionary back in 2008.)

A pity though that Clod has its problems because its sequel BOM looked so promising.  :(
After the cancellation of BOM I put my hope on BOS.
Now I will put my hope on DC:WWII. Despite the fact I am not that much into ETO. But the EDGE engine seems to be really something. According the screenshots.

Otherwise I keep playing good old IL2:1946 till the end of days.  ;D
"The Best Things In Live Aren't Things"

carsmaster

• Modder
« Reply #83 on: February 22, 2014, 04:35:09 AM »

....Otherwise I keep playing good old IL2:1946 till the end of days.  ;D

Sometimes an old friend is better than a new friend .....
A new friend is often just a doll ..... ;D
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 ... 48   Go Up

Page created in 0.076 seconds with 30 queries.