Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: an opportunity for a serious P-51 Mustang revamp  (Read 12747 times)

HundertzehnGustav

• Banned on Sep 11/2012
  • Arrogant Narcisistic Pussy
Re: an opportunity for a serious P-51 Mustang revamp
« Reply #36 on: April 21, 2012, 09:25:03 AM »

ha! gotcha!
i KNEW it!

ANDYTOTHED

• Modder
  • angle computing gunsights
« Reply #37 on: April 21, 2012, 09:29:36 AM »

the only problem I have with the stang is that it is the spin king, you just tap the stick back at low speed and you're careening nose over tail into oblivion.

CWMV

• Kalashnikov connoisseur
  • Modder
  • A free people ought to be armed and disciplined.
« Reply #38 on: April 21, 2012, 09:44:50 AM »

Remember, little to no indication of stall in this thing and it has the low speed performance of a brick.
This thing wasn't a turn fighter. It wasn't much of a fighter in the traditional sense at all. But it was fast, could fly far, and worked well when the odds were literally 1000 to one in its favor.

SAS~Tom2

• SAS Honourable Member
  • no sweat
« Reply #39 on: April 21, 2012, 10:08:31 AM »

the only problem I have with the stang is that it is the spin king, you just tap the stick back at low speed and you're careening nose over tail into oblivion.

Try Histomod. :D Sorry, couldn't resist. TBH the Histo Mustangs are also too slow IMHO. :)
But I don't have the guts to report this as well, after ca 20 zillion F-86 FM comments and pms to lebig. :'(

ANDYTOTHED

• Modder
« Reply #40 on: April 21, 2012, 10:16:39 AM »

Remember, little to no indication of stall in this thing and it has the low speed performance of a brick.
This thing wasn't a turn fighter. It wasn't much of a fighter in the traditional sense at all. But it was fast, could fly far, and worked well when the odds were literally 1000 to one in its favor.

I disagree completely
they appeared in december 1943 when it was found that P-47 and lightning just weren't up for the job
and at first it wasn't much better except that it could follow them all the way to Berlin, when Doolittle decided to make them spread out and attack aircraft that were either forming up, taking off, landing or just cruising, it tore up the Luftwaffe. and according to the pilots who flew it, it could turn inside both the BF-109 and FW-190, except for the 109G-10 and k which could fight on equal terms.

HundertzehnGustav

• Banned on Sep 11/2012
« Reply #41 on: April 21, 2012, 10:41:50 AM »

is this about the mustang redone 3D wise or about opinions which was better?

ANDYTOTHED

• Modder
« Reply #42 on: April 21, 2012, 10:44:45 AM »

hey I'm just saying it could use quite a bit of FM changing as well as the 3d changing

Stratodog

• Slightly hypoxic
« Reply #43 on: April 21, 2012, 10:58:32 AM »

hey I'm just saying it could use quite a bit of FM changing as well as the 3d changing

Hi,
Please read all of this: https://www.sas1946.com/main/index.php/topic,21158.0.html and report your observations there.

HundertzehnGustav

• Banned on Sep 11/2012
« Reply #44 on: April 21, 2012, 10:59:31 AM »

okay, so... there is an FM section, where your problem of flying the plane can be adressed

the problem I have with the stang is that it is the spin king, you just tap the stick back at low speed and you're careening nose over tail into oblivion.

or... the famous floppy dingus topic, where the solutions to these problems have already been disc... bashed to death like beating a dead ho... mustang.

3D things i would like to see improved or addressed... very few, because i like how she is modeled overall...
the gun ports, all 3 of them made of something more representative than a few pixels on the skin (two on the early birds)
the leading edge "kank" difference between early and late wing
the landing light in the wing

ANDYTOTHED

• Modder
« Reply #45 on: April 21, 2012, 11:09:17 AM »

I would have posted on the dingus topic if it wasn't a few months old

Wildchild

• Bf 109 Killer
    • This is my professional racing page. Please check it out!
« Reply #46 on: April 21, 2012, 11:11:33 AM »

Dogfights- P-51 Mustang:

Dont like them fighting at high altitude? Ok.....

CWMV

• Kalashnikov connoisseur
  • Modder
  • A free people ought to be armed and disciplined.
« Reply #47 on: April 21, 2012, 11:14:43 AM »

I disagree completely
they appeared in december 1943 when it was found that P-47 and lightning just weren't up for the job
and at first it wasn't much better except that it could follow them all the way to Berlin, when Doolittle decided to make them spread out and attack aircraft that were either forming up, taking off, landing or just cruising, it tore up the Luftwaffe. and according to the pilots who flew it, it could turn inside both the BF-109 and FW-190, except for the 109G-10 and k which could fight on equal terms.

You mean it appeared in December 1943, after the Luftwaffe had already been broken by the t-bolt/RAF.
But yes, it did very well in situations where they had complete numerical superiority and tactical advantage, and better trained pilots. Fly a bunch of bombers over as bait and knock them down as they come up, good tactic. Just doesn't say anything about the quality of the aircraft.

And as has been said before, pilots memories aren't worth much. Priller described being able to turn inside the spitfire in his Emil, but were not trying to make the spit turn worse are we?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Up

Page created in 0.096 seconds with 26 queries.