Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 [6] 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Central China - Hengyang_V2  (Read 30915 times)

Toobone

• Mapper
Re: Central China - Hengyang_V2
« Reply #60 on: October 29, 2017, 04:50:20 AM »

Sgt Rock on M4T has made a lighter version of the map so that the cities are not so heavily populated and this allows for better fps over them.
http://www.mission4today.com/index.php?name=Downloads3&file=details&id=2464

How it possible (14 fps in your stock Hengiang, guess, max settings), maybe optimization problem with Windows & system.

zsoltfireman

• Modder
« Reply #61 on: December 08, 2017, 01:20:40 AM »

Quick Mission pack available?

CzechTexan

• Modder
  • TEXAS, USA
« Reply #62 on: December 08, 2017, 03:28:39 PM »

Piotrek1

• SAS IL BYTES BACK
« Reply #63 on: December 20, 2017, 11:45:51 AM »

Beautiful map, Thank you very much.

Regards,
Piotrek

WxTech

• Modder
« Reply #64 on: October 02, 2019, 07:45:22 PM »

I was drawn to this map because of the connection with the Flying Tigers. After installing and discovering 4 missing objects, further reading through this thread revealed a significant scale reduction that appears to be larger then 3:1! Even 2:1 is bad enough for hilly and mountainous terrain. For then what should be reasonably gentle slopes become veritable cliffs. (Unless the heights are commensurately reduced so as to preserve some semblance of correctness in slope, which would be almost as bad.) This would go some ways toward explaining what seem to me to be a claustrophobic, 'Death Star trench'-like aspect for some valleys in screenies shown earlier here.

The same problem afflicts a PNG '42 map, where the reduced scale has the mountains looking so ghastly in their horizontal piling and crowding together that I immediately jettisoned it. I fear a similar disinterest has now infected me, in spite of the beautiful work performed. I guess I'm just a proponent of 1:1 maps.
Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people. - Hyman Rickover (but probably predating his use.)

Mixx

« Reply #65 on: October 03, 2019, 05:58:50 PM »

to WxTech
(CzechTexan)the author of the map tried to make it bigger and more beautiful. And relatively
sharp mountains - they can also be configured on the map_H elevation map. You can slightly reduce the height and make the slopes of the mountains even

CzechTexan

• Modder
  • TEXAS, USA
« Reply #66 on: October 04, 2019, 09:30:06 AM »

True, it is not correct, as I may have mentioned earlier.  The map is just my simple effort to give us a China map of an important area of battle.  This map was started long ago and I received the SRTM data files from someone else.  When making the map, I did not know much about the mapped area and its terrain...I did not even have Google Earth in the beginning!  I apologize for those who wish for things to be true and correct.  I also wish for someone to come up with a more correct map of this area.  But, as it is now, in my humble opinion, it's better than nothing.

Mixx

« Reply #67 on: October 04, 2019, 05:20:38 PM »

A very good map, realistic landscape, well-built cities, villages and, most importantly, airfields. (especially important for players). For your hard work, there is already a special thanks to you.
WxTech, probably faced with the problem that when creating missions, AI aircraft behave inappropriately due to sharp mountains. For my part, i will try to “iron the map”
heights map_h, so that dear WxTech can continue its work. And if he points out problem areas in the screenshots, things will go faster

WxTech

• Modder
« Reply #68 on: October 05, 2019, 02:00:59 AM »

Tex,
I completely understand the necessity of making do with the height data then in hand when undertaking this map. I don't fault you in the slightest.

A few years ago I partly 'ironed down' the Net Mountains map to between 1/3 and 1/2 the former heights, in part because the AI kept hitting the hills. ;) I did it by altering the map_h in Photoshop, simply reducing the grey scale range via the levels tool. I could easily try the same here, taking just a few minutes to do. But it would only further reduce realism. But because a selective attacking of the steeper slopes would take a rather long time to complete, I might just perform some amount of a global height reduction, to at least see how it looks.

By the way. There are a few remaining missing objects, two most important being hexagonal plates. I don't fancy downloading the 7-10GB vp ModPack at this time. Any place else to find them?
Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people. - Hyman Rickover (but probably predating his use.)

Uzin

• Modder
  • On lifetime holidays

WxTech

• Modder
« Reply #70 on: October 06, 2019, 04:18:27 AM »

Thanks, Uzin! The only missing object now is Fuelbowser, but I've made a 'fake' object entry for it in static.ini, and can now load this map without a gazillion exceptions causing great slowdowns.

WxTech

• Modder
« Reply #71 on: October 06, 2019, 05:03:57 AM »

Here's a quick attempt at bringing the terrain into better height range for this distance-compressed map. It offers the feature of making the hills a bit less of an imposing obstacle for those airstrips close to them.

If you have a utility for viewing .tga files, compare this to the original. I lowered the base elevation so that at the SE corner, where the river height is lowest, it's now at sea level. This makes the higher rivers are not so high as they were before. The overall image was adjusted with the Photoshop levels tool so as to bring the global heights lower. This reduces the steepness of mountain/hill slopes. I think I didn't make the hilly character of the region too smoothed out.

If you want to try it, you could first re-name the existing to, e.g., map_h_original. In any event, back it up first, unless you still have the archive from which to extract the map_h.

https://www.mediafire.com/file/lfyr7xsy15zf0km/map_h.tga/file

Boy, oh boy, but do those densely populated cities bring my system to its knees! And it's a pretty capable machine, put together just a few months ago. Render flushes are executed--something I've not seen before. Kan-Hsien, about 35 map kilometers ESE of Hengyang, is particularly egregious.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 [6] 7   Go Up

Page created in 0.075 seconds with 24 queries.