Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Mig-15 too fast or F-86 too slow?  (Read 607 times)

rafsan1199

Mig-15 too fast or F-86 too slow?
« on: April 29, 2024, 08:10:34 AM »

Been doing some Korean War campaigns in bat and vpmodack and noticed that in bat it seems far too easy for the Mig to extend away from engagement and was wondering if it’s too fast and a potential fix

SAS~GJE52

• Editor
  • Orchard Studios
Re: Mig-15 too fast or F-86 too slow?
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2024, 12:24:52 PM »

MiG-15 ...Maximum speed: 1,076 km/h (669 mph, 581 kn) at sea level

F-86 .......Maximum speed: 1,106 km/h ( 687 mph, 597 kn) at sea level ..... 14,212 lb (6,446 kg) combat weight

On paper not much difference in flat out speed, however in a turning dogfight some sources say the MiG might have had the edge.

G;
Do not criticise a man until you have walked a mile in his shoes...  Then you can call him what you like, as you have his shoes ... and he is a mile away......

Dimlee

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2024, 02:34:24 PM »

As I remember from the books on the topic, MiG-15 was superior in the climb and (probably) could accelerate faster. In the dive, it has an initial advantage but persistent Sabre could catch it after a long chase. It was inferior in the turn fight, especially the earlier model.

rafsan1199

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2024, 09:21:03 PM »

I’ve been playing the hot honcho campaign in both bat and vpmodpack and it seems the aircraft handling characteristics for both types is more accurately reflected and enjoyable in vpmodpack. Anyways can’t wait for the new Il-2 iteration as the rumor mill seems to suggest it’s the Korean theatre

SAS~Storebror

• Editor
  • Taking a timeout
    • STFU
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2024, 01:05:33 AM »

more accurately reflected
"Accurately" by what measures?

enjoyable
^^This one maybe?
Reminds me of the enjoyable Corsair flight model from certain source, which they cheered about all over the place. That Corsair suddenly outturned a Zeke.
Or the constant complaints about the P-51 flight model: "That thing won the war, how come I lose a dogfight against 109s with it?"
Mind you: Real life isn't always what anecdotal reports want to make it.
The F-86 outscored the MiG-15 in Korea mostly due to pilot skills, not due to technological superiority.
In IL-2 though, AI might not have your situational awareness and might not know each and every trick you can play on them, but they do outpace you in flight characteristics. Always. Simply because AI uses a different flight model than human players.
What I suggest when people complain about their plane not being competitive in fights vs. AI is to simply switch seats.
Jump into a MiG-15 against a flight of AI Sabres. It will be an eye opener.

Anyways can’t wait for the new Il-2 iteration as the rumor mill seems to suggest it’s the Korean theatre
Where the heck does that hoax stem from again?

]cheers[
Mike
Don't split your mentality without thinking twice.

rafsan1199

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2024, 01:53:37 AM »

I don’t have a track but the mig was sustaining around like 670 TAS while maneuvering lol. As for the hoax I believe the last development diary entry showed a b-29 and Korean era corsair models.

SAS~Storebror

• Editor
  • Taking a timeout
    • STFU
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2024, 03:32:32 AM »

I don’t have a track but the mig was sustaining around like 670 TAS while maneuvering lol.
Nice anecdotal statement, but without any significance.
Altitude?
G-Force?
"Like"? What is "like" in speed terms?
670 what at all? Frog tails?
Maneuvering at 670kph sounds all but wrong for both MiG and Sabre, depending on altitude and G-force applied.

the last development diary
Of what? History Channel ;D

]cheers[
Mike

rafsan1199

« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2024, 04:02:23 AM »

I don’t know man followed him down a couple thousand and feet and he pulled up hard, figured he should of ripped his wings off or something pulling that kind of g so I started playing the campaign in vpmodpack and it was more enjoyable dogfights. I think I saw the dev diary at this:
https://www.reddit.com/r/il2sturmovik/s/nJEtiYzpUO

SAS~Storebror

• Editor
  • Taking a timeout
    • STFU
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2024, 04:10:07 AM »

more enjoyable dogfights
Did you set the "enjoyment" parameter in conf.ini?

I think I saw the dev diary at this:
https://www.reddit.com/r/il2sturmovik/s/nJEtiYzpUO
Just because "calster43" makes a joking reference doesn't mean a thing.
IL-2 GB development is stalled. The project is dead. The devs just don't realize it (yet).
The "next project" is Jason Williams' "Combat Pilot", and that's WW2 PTO.

]cheers[
Mike

rafsan1199

« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2024, 04:17:21 AM »

Yeah set enjoyment to 1 at the bottom of the conf lol. Quite excited for combat pilot too

Whiskey_Sierra_972

• Modder
  • In memory of my beloved hero: Saburo SAKAI!
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2024, 05:12:25 AM »

Account for pilots in Korea report that MiG used their height vantage to dictate how to engage or not....after engaging US superior tactics and pilot skill give them an edge....

BUT we are in a simulated environment where AI act by java command and have a different dynamic and decision process than humans....you have to deal with it....if a plane in his historical flight envelope is correct maybe it became the looser virtual arena one because the game have virtual physics and AI rules....it's FM can be modified to give it different results....this could be the difference between same planes in differrent packs....

If you feel better in VP remember that it have anyway different plane FM and , maybe , the game engine different java code than BAT...so it is a similar plane in a similar game , but in reality we are not speaking of the same game....

In BAT the historical FM values is the core choice....maybe VP have had the playability as his core choice....

rafsan1199

« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2024, 05:56:35 AM »

Seems to be that way as they do behave similarly between the mod packs just a similar envelope to each other in vp. Great thing about this game is running several different mod packs as I do prefer the feeling of wwii warbirds in bat.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.088 seconds with 27 queries.