Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Gunsight adjustment in controls  (Read 344 times)

shardana

Gunsight adjustment in controls
« on: March 28, 2024, 09:24:59 AM »

As the title says can you remind me wich keys in controls change fighter gunsight range and base. Thanks

WxTech

• Modder
Re: Gunsight adjustment in controls
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2024, 10:14:00 AM »

In my BAT 4.0 controls section for GUNSIGHT/BOMBSIGHT CONTROLS, here are the corresponding first bunch of entries from my users/doe/settings.ini file. Yours may differ, or be empty/missing. It's been a LONG time since I used a gyro sight (I'm more of an early war afficionado), but if memory serves, the controls entries using the SHIFT key modifier here are those applicable.

Ctrl B=SIGHT_AUTO_ONOFF
Shift NumPad-8=SIGHT_ALT_PLUS
Shift NumPad-6=SIGHT_DIST_PLUS
Shift NumPad-4=SIGHT_DIST_MINUS
Shift NumPad-2=SIGHT_ALT_MINUS
Ctrl NumPad-2=SIGHT_SPD_MINUS
Ctrl NumPad-4=SIGHT_SIDE_LEFT
Ctrl NumPad-8=SIGHT_SPD_PLUS
Ctrl NumPad-6=SIGHT_SIDE_RIGHT
Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people. - Hyman Rickover (but probably predating his use.)

Frankiek

• SAS Team
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2024, 10:23:04 AM »

There are no defaults for gunsight\bombsight controls these are all user defined

shardana

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2024, 10:42:13 AM »

"There are no defaults for gunsight\bombsight controls these are all user defined"   Yes I know that. the point is although I've set keys to gunsight/bombsight controls I can't see any change in the gunsight while in the cockpit. Am I missing something?

I'll try using straignt commands as suggested by Whtech. In any case thank you for your help guys!

WxTech

• Modder
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2024, 11:07:24 AM »

Which sight, in which plane, are you trying to adjust?
Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people. - Hyman Rickover (but probably predating his use.)

Frankiek

• SAS Team
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2024, 11:08:48 AM »

As I am below zero in multitasking I basically never try to adjust the gunsight however if I  remember well only the gyroscopic sights can be adjusted

shardana

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2024, 11:41:36 AM »

We’ll if that is so then I guess it would be great if somebody could implement a mod for it. 🤪🤪

WxTech

• Modder
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2024, 12:01:38 PM »

There has long existed the facility to adjust the circular pattern of diamond-shaped dots on the later war British, American and German gyro sights. You will need to toggle through the sight modes so as to have that pattern visible (it can be alone or present with a fixed ring/dot.) Once that mode is active, use the appropriate keys to vary the diameter of the pattern until it matches the target's wingspan, after the appropriate wingspan has been selected.

Frankiek

• SAS Team
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2024, 12:26:41 PM »

To practice you can start with the P-51 "AceMaker" sight this I remember well

Ol Willy

« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2024, 03:54:18 AM »

We’ll if that is so then I guess it would be great if somebody could implement a mod for it. 🤪🤪

Only gyro gunsights could be adjusted, and only the gyro mark itself. The game treats all fixed reticles as static and non-adjustable ones.

Theoretically, I think it could be implemented, but it is not really practical.

Let's say we want to implement a simple scaling: 5 ranges (100, 200, 300, 400 and 500 meters or equivalent in yards)  for three target types (fighter, medium bomber, heavy bomber). This means that gunsight hotkeys will scale the reticle texture for each of these ranges and targets.

This makes it 15 different presets for a single reticle pattern. Multiply it by the number of reticle patterns you want adjustable.

And each of those presets should be manually adjusted and tested so the reticle actually coincides with selected target and range setting. Then, those controls should be activated in every cockpit you want them in

That's a lot of work for a feature that few people would use

shardana

« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2024, 04:20:14 AM »

Tes I guess that's asking too much to this old lady of ours!  Mind you even in DCS I hate using gyro, I prefer normal gunsights.  Thank you all anyway!

Ol Willy

« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2024, 04:23:45 AM »

Ironically, the default set-up of Il-2 makes non-adjustable reticles (like Soviet or Japanese ones) superior to those adjustable in real life. If you know how to use them and if they are scaled correctly (they are in stock game), then you could actually use coincidence rangefinding function and measure the distance to the target, which you couldn't do with British or American ones because they lack the adjustment
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.078 seconds with 27 queries.