Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: BAT - Trouble with A.I Torpedo Attacks  (Read 550 times)

Tangmere1742

BAT - Trouble with A.I Torpedo Attacks
« on: January 30, 2024, 04:40:03 PM »

Hi Everyone,

I've recently been attempting to write a series of missions playing as the 1941/42 IJN launching several Torpedo attacks on allied shipping using B5N2 and G3M2-22 as Torpedo Bombers. On every occasion I run the scenario I get the A.I controlled bombers to attack the ships, which they do, but always approach at the wrong altitude and speed. Every time the bombers release their torpedoes they break up when they hit the water.

I've tried setting the A.I bombers to different altitudes and speeds in the FMB but each time during the attack the A.I takes over and has the bombers approach at 60 meters altitude and around 200 knots airspeed. When left on autopilot a message pops up saying "Dropped Too High." I've used both types of Torpedo Type 91 and Type 91 (Late) in the inventory.

Has anyone else had this problem? Is there any way to make the Japanese plane's A.I attack properly? It would be a shame to have to rely on Dive Bombers only.

Thanks       

Wing Walker

Re: BAT - Trouble with A.I Torpedo Attacks
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2024, 05:25:03 PM »

There is something with some aircraft that they won't fly below a particular altitude, something like 250ft.

I've tried several times for some aircraft that would fly at 50-100ft over the water in real life, but the AI constantly tried to fly above that.

I had P-39D's eventually settle down to the 50ft level but it was after a while of flight and they would constantly drop slowly, then climb, then drop, then climb.

Another try was with the PB4Y-2's that  IRL would fly at "mast height", about 50ft, to the target.  One of the B-24's in BAT would, but the PB4Y-2 would not fly that low.

It may help to have the way points start before the low alt way point.

RABIZO

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2024, 08:35:29 AM »

It looks like you're having a hard time.
Set the speed to 270km and flight altitude to 30m to target your opponent's ship.
Type 91 and Type 91 (Late) can fly at low altitudes.

Even some types of torpedoes may not fly low.

The AI passes close to the opponent's battleship without taking any evasive action, but it seems to be by design.

It is very tedious as it requires multiple attempts at targeting to get the target to take evasive action.

Tangmere1742

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2024, 08:58:59 AM »

It's like the A.I is setting up for a bombing run rather than a torpedo run on a ship. It knows the ship is there and tracks it on the approach run and knows when to release the Torpedo, it just has the wrong approach altitude and speed. It doesn't pay attention to the instructions I give it in the FMB, every time its 60 meters alt instead of the 18 meters or lower that the torpedo manual suggests.

Is there a way to tweak the A.I Torpedo run altitude?

Dimlee

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2024, 03:24:34 PM »

Interesting...
In my missions, I remember to use the following Japanese a/c for torpedo attacks: H8K, B7A1 in BAT WAW and B5N2, H6K5, B4Y1 in UP 3.4.
(Also G10N in BAT - but that's a very special beast).
I don't recall any issues with the above-mentioned a/c. Some small changes in altitude, speed, and position of waypoints. Nothing compared to the nightmare I had with arranging bombing runs of some jets in JTW.
Saying that I can't remember if the "fragile torpedoes" switch is on or off in those missions.

Wing Walker

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2024, 04:25:49 PM »

Damn,

Can confirm this about the torpedo bombers not performing a torpedo attack on a ship.

Used AI planes, tried several different ways with stationary and moving ships, even different mission tools.

The B5N's i used do not adjust speed or altitude at all to drop the torpedoes correctly.

They basically just drop them at the ground attack marker or near the ship depending on how you do it, but the speed and altitude stays at whatever you set them to fly at.

Tried several different ways, but never got a torpedo drop that produced a trail.

Thought I had them flying from 100m to 30m on the way to target, they wouldn't always go to 30m.

Dimlee

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2024, 03:48:10 PM »

I quickly made a short mission with torpedo attacks.
3 flights of B5N2, and 1 flight of H6K5.

Altitudes of B5N2s could be higher, of course.
It's interesting to observe how H6K5s correct my script and go lower and slower. I suspected that flying boats were the most intelligent creatures in the Il2 1946 universe.  8)

Mission files and track.
Switch on the autopilot and go through the views to watch the show.

https://www.mediafire.com/file/7ju7nzij0qbdfth/torp_JP_tests.zip/file

Mocherfinger

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2024, 05:32:55 PM »

I experienced the same issues with both Fi-167A and Do-22K. I think german torpedoes (such as those LTF 5) are rather sensitive. 40mts means <40mts, but 36 can be too much. And I think speed works pretty much the same.
I see how AI sets the flight at 41mts and 252km/h, enough to break the torpedo. It does this every single time.

RABIZO

« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2024, 01:35:05 AM »

Mr. “Dimlee”. I tried it.

It certainly seemed like I was flying at a high altitude.

I don't fly with a set of 3 aircraft, but instead set it to 1 aircraft each time. If you make a torpedo attack with 10 aircraft, you will have to create 10 sets of courses, which is very troublesome.
I don't know if it's for that reason, but it seems like they drop torpedoes at low altitude.
I believe that "G4M" and "G3M" are taking similar actions.
They often fly too low and produce water smoke from the water surface.

I'm Japanese, so I checked the "IL2 STURMOVIK Wiki" to learn how.
I'll attach an image, but it's in Japanese. .. ..

https://wikiwiki.jp/il2/

Dimlee

« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2024, 03:39:33 PM »

Rabizo, I changed some parameters in my mission and played again.
I can confirm that (in this particular mission) B5N2s are dropping torpedoes from altitudes higher than it is written in the *.mis file. But it can be managed a bit by creating more waypoints and making the approach route more "shallow". Still, they drop higher, a minimum of 70 m or so, instead of 30 m.
Flying boats, surprisingly, go for another extreme. They fly lower than "ordered" and drop lower. Sometimes, if the "fragile torpedoes" difficulty switch is enabled, it can lead to the torpedo not working, since the drop was at 20 m instead of 30 m (for the Type 91 early). And that brings me to another question, at least to myself: why should I keep "fragile torpedoes" on and waste my time trying to "teach" AI again and again...  o_O
So, I choose to set the "fragile torpedoes" OFF in my mission-making. But it's just me.  8)

RABIZO

« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2024, 05:36:54 PM »

Mr. “Dimlee”. I also tried various waypoint locations in the "torp JP tests" mission.
"AI" may only be able to make such movements.

Even in "one-on-one" air battles, there are many cases where the opponent does not fly at the specified altitude. .. ..

Cycle

• Modder
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2024, 08:18:33 PM »

There is another different AI behavior between some Torpedo aircraft, especially between USN and IJN aircraft!
If you place the ground attack point near a static enemy ship without selecting the ship as a target (no green marker), some USN
Aircraft, such as the TBF1C or TBD, AUTOMATICALLY attack the enemy ship with a perfect torpedo attack, but not the IJN aircraft!
"Lenin sagte einmal, der ungebildete Mensch stehe außerhalb der Politik. Heute aber haben wir ein gebildetes Volk. Wie wir in den letzten Jahren handelten, bedeutete, es aus der Politik herauszuhalten. Das ist eine Mißachtung des Volkes. Das ist eine Art Elitedenken." Michail Gorbatschow
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.073 seconds with 26 queries.