Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Palm plantation objects, 6x6 and3x3, Pacific and desert  (Read 326 times)

WxTech

• Modder
Palm plantation objects, 6x6 and3x3, Pacific and desert
« on: January 08, 2024, 05:42:22 PM »

In this screen capture the palm plantations at Buna, on my modded New Guinea map, are filled out with the coconut palm versions of the 6x6 and 3x3 objects. This places thousands of trees for a minimal frame rate hit. Note how the treeline smoothly follows the gently undulating terrain, due to setting AlignToLand 1 for the static.ini entries. Note the additional plantation at the point of land in the distance; a LOT of trees are drawn here.

In use, the bulk of a plantation is fleshed out with the bigger 6x6 objects, the 3x3 version being used where needed around the edge. For further refinement, in places where the edge is well visible from, say, the airfield, one can place some number of the other palm trees, either singletons or in groups of 5, to mask the more geometric regularity these simple objects must necessarily suffer.

For desert maps, equivalent objects are provided which share the same texture color and tone as my desert versions of the palms.

Get 'em here:

https://www.mediafire.com/file/5hrjtk27zmriqk8/6x6_and_3x3_palm_tree_plantation_objects.7z/file

From the included readme file:

NOTE: If you have previously downloaded my New Georgia mod map with forest cover added, you may already have the first pair of objects (for use on Pacific maps) of the four listed below. If so, this mod fully replaces those, and adds a complementary pair of objects for use on desert maps.

Four new palm plantation objects, in very simple models for high frame rates. One pair is coconut palms for Pacific maps, the other 'date' palms for desert maps

In each pair, one object is a 6x6 array of trees and the other is a 3x3 array. By this scheme thousands of trees can fill a plantation for a much smaller resource hit than for the stock palm tree objects.

These objects have a small collision box in the middle, rather like a tall post, extending from the ground to the height of the trunks. This minimal collision box is to allow to shoot into a grove where vehicles might be stationed. At the same time, some chance of a plane collision is afforded, although a lucky path could have no such hits occur.

Again for minimal resource easement, there are no shadows.

If placing on non level ground, these objects will tilt as necessary to accommodate the sloping terrain. Avoid placing so that they will straddle any sharp/steep ridge line, as some tree trunk bases could end up sitting somewhat up in the air. And the overall tilting would look odd, too.

I provide a ground shadow, but in significant numbers this makes for a notable frame rate hit due to the use of transparency. And so the related line entries are rendered as ignored via "//" characters preceding each line. If you wish to use these shadows, simply remove all instances of "//" appearing at the BEGINNING of lines of data. And remember to alter the total vertex and face count number, as my remimder notes show.

Add to static.ini:

[buildings.House$Pac_Palm_Plantation_6x6]
Title           Pac_Palm_Plantation_6x6
MeshLive        3do/ForestSides/Pac_Palm_Plantation_6x6/mono6x6.sim
MeshDead
AddHeightLive   0       
AlignToLand     1
Body            RockMiddle
Panzer          50.0

[buildings.House$Pac_Palm_Plantation_3x3]
Title           Pac_Palm_Plantation_3x3
MeshLive        3do/ForestSides/Pac_Palm_Plantation_6x6/mono3x3.sim
MeshDead
AddHeightLive   0       
AlignToLand     1
Panzer          50.0

[buildings.House$Desert_Palm_Plantation_6x6]
Title           Desert_Palm_Plantation_6x6
MeshLive        3do/ForestSides/Pac_Palm_Plantation_6x6/mono6x6_d.sim
MeshDead
AddHeightLive   0       
AlignToLand     1
Panzer          50.0

[buildings.House$Desert_Palm_Plantation_3x3]
Title           Desert_Palm_Plantation_3x3
MeshLive        3do/ForestSides/Pac_Palm_Plantation_6x6/mono3x3_d.sim
MeshDead
AddHeightLive   0       
AlignToLand     1
Panzer          50.0
Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people. - Hyman Rickover (but probably predating his use.)

Old_DaD

• Fully engaged in the war on senior moments.
Re: Palm plantation objects, 6x6 and3x3, Pacific and desert
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2024, 08:59:25 AM »

Hi, about the Body parameter.
I noticed that the two original entries , 6x6 3x3, have Flesh as that parameter.
These have RockMiddle.
Is this an upscale for the effect?

WxTech

• Modder
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2024, 11:15:25 AM »

The Flesh body type was first set as a way to generate the most subtle effect upon destruction. But I also want to keep the destruction threshold rather high, at least for now because I have made no dead mesh, and green plants like this are not so ready to be set afire. The Flesh body type has a very low destruction threshold for a given panzer value. (I'm currently investigating the way House.class handles all this.) For the time being I've changed the Body type and supplied a large panzer value. Nothing stops one from changing this to taste. ;)
Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people. - Hyman Rickover (but probably predating his use.)

Old_DaD

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2024, 11:26:03 AM »

Probably, as you've pointed out , trees, especially tropical varieties, wouldn't necessarily be so combustible as to burn so intensely. I'll leave Flesh for now to replicate lower fire levels.
Thanks.

Frankiek

• SAS Team
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2024, 12:02:19 PM »

Oil Palm, coconut palm and date palm they burn so well you can't imagine... 

Old_DaD

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2024, 12:06:03 PM »

Ok. Of course that would add to combustiblity..
In that case I'll up the ante..Rock and Middle roll.

WxTech

• Modder
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2024, 12:45:41 PM »

Oil Palm, coconut palm and date palm they burn so well you can't imagine...

Do they do so in the raw state, on the tree, before extraction and processing? Among the damaged palm trees I've seen in pics, they suggest blast damage but no real fire. I would think bomb and shell bursts would have no time to heat the green biomaterial to ignition. If other stuff in their midst got alight and the fire had time to do so, I guess these trees would burn happily enough.

Not that I'm an arborist, or anything!  ;)

Frankiek

• SAS Team
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2024, 03:01:24 PM »

I  have personally  seen destroyed villages with totally burned down palm trees only the trunk stump remaining. The heat generated by a large explosion is sufficient to start ignition then the rest will follow. Keep in mind that normally in the undergrowth there is enough dry material, then of course is different if the explosion is caused by a falling plane, or incendiary bombs, while smaller caliber bullets or individual grenades won't be enough. I was trying to find some pics to illustrate but this was few year back so is not easy.   
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.101 seconds with 27 queries.