Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Anyone use W11 with IL2?  (Read 863 times)

Whiskey_Sierra_972

• Modder
  • In memory of my beloved hero: Saburo SAKAI!
Anyone use W11 with IL2?
« on: November 26, 2023, 04:44:55 AM »

Hi!

I finally have finished to collect all hardware to build my new rig...only OS is still missing....

I'm undecided to buy a W10 or a W11 license....because I have not find in the site posts advise against...but neither posts advantage of W11....

Anyone that have W11 can help me please?

Thanks in advance!

walter

KingTiger503

• Legendary History Luftwaffe Elite Ace ,,, FAC# 53
  • Supporter
  • KT503 Elite
Re: Anyone use W11 with IL2?
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2023, 06:16:22 AM »

Try Windows 11, But Windows 10 is Discontinue.

Best Regards KT503
My Greatest and Best Regards KT503

shardana

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2023, 06:30:52 AM »

I have w11 no problem

Whiskey_Sierra_972

• Modder
  • In memory of my beloved hero: Saburo SAKAI!
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2023, 07:08:33 AM »

Thanks for your replies!

Actually I have W10 and by far not had any issue...apart a Data Execution Prevention (DEP) after a reinstall (maybe a data losses or a fault pendrive left in a USB) days ago....

I was thinking to buy W11 due the longest support and devlopment future than W10....

I'll wait until next week to let expose someone if have to reprto experienced issue with W11 and after I'll buy a retail license....

Frankiek

• SAS Team
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2023, 08:28:54 AM »

I think you should go for W11 as things goes currently fairly soon support to W10 will be discontinued

elot

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2023, 06:17:21 AM »

Just make sure that you do not install the IL2 in de "Program Files" or the "Program files (x86)" directories.
Just make a c:\Games and put it in there (or on another drive).

I have not one Operating System related problem in IL2.

WhiteSnake1976

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2023, 12:42:23 PM »

Hi!

I finally have finished to collect all hardware to build my new rig...only OS is still missing....

I'm undecided to buy a W10 or a W11 license....because I have not find in the site posts advise against...but neither posts advantage of W11....

Anyone that have W11 can help me please?

Thanks in advance!

walter

There are still some issues with Windows 11,  there are cases with browser windows loading slow/not loading or hanging.
Also gaming performance (fps) is lower with some more demanding games (so far no negative effects for this game)
And harddrives (especialy M.2 SSD's) can be much slower than under Windows 10.
Every update they bring seems to add an other bug, and a lot of "new" features they add are not really new, but where already in Windows 10 or even earlier and where just missing in 11.

I am running both Windows 10 (Desktop/Gamingrig) and Windows 11 (Laptop) here, and had it in Dual Boot on my Desktop untill recently.

So for now just stick with Windows 10, they still fully suport it till the end of 2025, and that only means it wont get updates for features etc. but they wil stil suport it with security updates for a few years to come.
Windows 12 is already being worked on, so hopefully M.S. will do a better job at that.

And like @elot said: Install IL-2 (and other games) in a seperate folder, not in Program Files, as it could prevent you from making changes or swapping files around.

P.S. Since you mention you got new hardware: AMD Radeon RX 7000 series cards can not run this game wel, as they have isues with the old versions of OpenGL and Shaders the game uses.
Someone mentioned there would be a driver update at the beginning of 2024 that would fix the problem for the RX 7000 series.

sgt.wingspan

• /][\[l//\
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2023, 11:33:46 PM »

People also ask,
 Is it possible to dual boot Windows 10 and 11?
  The better choice is to dual boot both versions of Windows. In this case, you would use a
computer that already has Windows 10, then install Windows 11 on its own volume. Each time you boot up your PC, you could then
 choose which OS to run.Jun 30, 2023
---------------------
2 win on PC:

Running two versions of Windows on the same device is known as dual booting, and it's officially supported by Microsoft.
Here's how to run the two latest major versions of Windows on the same device, although this method also works
if you can download a different operating system.Feb 14, 2023
------------------------
If Win11 not detected on dual boot:
Use the System Configuration Tool to Set Boot Options

Start typing System Configuration and double-click the System Configuration app when it appears. Click the Boot tab.
Set the Timeout to a reasonable amount of time, such as 30 seconds. Click Apply
and restart your computer to see if the dual boot options appear.Nov 23, 2022
------------------------
Not far

SAS~Storebror

• Editor
  • Taking a timeout
    • STFU
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2023, 12:56:21 AM »

There are still some issues with Windows 11
Correct, full list here: https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/release-health/status-windows-11-23h2#known-issues
Note that Windows 10 shares 2 out of 4 known issues, adds one issue Windows 11 doesn't have and is one issue short just because it doesn't have the regarding feature. All in all, just the same:
https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/release-health/status-windows-10-22h2#known-issues

there are cases with browser windows loading slow/not loading or hanging.
Yes and they all boil down to driver errors in Intel's NIC driver, causing it to go ballistic on certain IPv6 enabled connections.

Also gaming performance (fps) is lower with some more demanding games (so far no negative effects for this game)
Once again, 99.9% boil down to driver issues. Nvidia's driver once introduced a buggy "Nvidia FrameView SDK", AMD seems to suffer a lot less here.
The other 0.1% were related to very early Windows 11 releases with a buggy "Game DVR" implementation.

Once again, 100% driver error.

Every update they bring seems to add an other bug, and a lot of "new" features they add are not really new, but where already in Windows 10 or even earlier and where just missing in 11.
Same situation as with Windows 10.

So for now just stick with Windows 10
I tend to disagree...

they still fully suport it till the end of 2025, and that only means it wont get updates for features etc. but they wil stil suport it with security updates for a few years to come
That simply isn't true.
22H2 is the final Windows 10 version and end of support is 14 Oct 2025.
That's a hard cut. You won't get regular security updates past that date, which means: You're vulnerable if you keep using Windows 10 past that date.
Windows 11 in contrast keeps receiving updates for the time being (probably until 1 or 2 years after the next major Windows version gets released, whatever it'll be called then).
Current situation (at any time) can be seen here: https://endoflife.date/windows

]cheers[
Mike
Don't split your mentality without thinking twice.

Frankiek

• SAS Team
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2023, 02:13:57 AM »

My story with MS:
Win 2.x an attempt to emulate Apple
Win 3.1 much better everybody loved it
Win95 so so leaving plenty of MS-DOS nostalgic
Win98 much better in particular the NT version
Win2000 let's just forget about it together with "Millenium"
WinXP back in business with SP3 and the x64 server version
WinVista I had completely forgotten about it (I had to modify the post)
Win7 great x64 PC version
Win8 someone remembers?
Win10 progressive improvement and in any case all the rest was abandoned from 2017/18
Win11 I don't know however just looking at the history normally MS get one version right followed by an attempt that quickly evolves in the next strong version

WhiteSnake1976

« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2023, 10:47:49 AM »

There are still some issues with Windows 11
Correct, full list here: https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/release-health/status-windows-11-23h2#known-issues
Note that Windows 10 shares 2 out of 4 known issues, adds one issue Windows 11 doesn't have and is one issue short just because it doesn't have the regarding feature. All in all, just the same:
https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/release-health/status-windows-10-22h2#known-issues

there are cases with browser windows loading slow/not loading or hanging.
Yes and they all boil down to driver errors in Intel's NIC driver, causing it to go ballistic on certain IPv6 enabled connections.

Once again, 99.9% boil down to driver issues. Nvidia's driver once introduced a buggy "Nvidia FrameView SDK", AMD seems to suffer a lot less here.
The other 0.1% were related to very early Windows 11 releases with a buggy "Game DVR" implementation.

Once again, 100% driver error.

Same situation as with Windows 10.

So for now just stick with Windows 10
I tend to disagree...

they still fully suport it till the end of 2025, and that only means it wont get updates for features etc. but they wil stil suport it with security updates for a few years to come
That simply isn't true.
22H2 is the final Windows 10 version and end of support is 14 Oct 2025.
That's a hard cut. You won't get regular security updates past that date, which means: You're vulnerable if you keep using Windows 10 past that date.
Windows 11 in contrast keeps receiving updates for the time being (probably until 1 or 2 years after the next major Windows version gets released, whatever it'll be called then).
Current situation (at any time) can be seen here: https://endoflife.date/windows

]cheers[
Mike

As far as i know the SSD and Performance isues seem to be caused by security features, posibily to do with TPM etc. (could be in combination with drivers)

I got the browser problems but its a Realtek NIC/Broadcom WLAN, so no Intel NIC drivers. (Browser page loads really slow or does not load fully, closing and opening the browser usualy fixes it. browser page freezes, browser crashes)

Windows 7 (realeased 2009) support stopped in Januari 2020, but until Januari 2023 (3 years) it stil got critical security updates, Windows 10 (realeased 2015) wil stil get critical security updates after October 2025, atleast until Oktober 2028 (3 years)

Windows 10 22H2 Build 19045.3693 (14 november 2023) is the latest version, so no massive update or changes, just a minor one (i think among others they killed Cortana ]confused2[ and added CoPilot  ):D )

There already working on Windows 12, so best to skip 11 and wait for that as @Frankiek has a good point, usually they mess one version up and the next version turns out great, i got a feeling Windows 11 is following the Windows 8(.1) road, and that there now focusing to developing Windows 12.

There Rewriting the Windows 11 Kernel from NT to Rust now, wich is also likly to cause problems and means that you can no longer use drivers from Windows 10 (Vista to 8.1 also work fine in some cases) in Windows 11. (it would need completly new drivers coded in Rust) so half way trough the progress they dicided to start with a new kernel, they should have done that from the start, and now after release as now it will cause problems and confusion with the drivers you need, as the old Windows 11 drivers wont work with Rust.
So if you ask me, Windows 11 is stil a Beta OS, because they keep making mayor changes to it, and adding and removing things, while it still has plenty of bugs.

Hopefully Windows 12 (full Rust kernel from the start.) wil be a lot better, but will render a lot more older hardware useless because you cant use drivers from an older OS like you can now.

SAS~Storebror

• Editor
  • Taking a timeout
    • STFU
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2023, 09:53:23 PM »

Windows 10 (realeased 2015) wil stil get critical security updates after October 2025, atleast until Oktober 2028 (3 years)
For LTSC versions and their unique lifecycles. Keep in mind that LTSC versions cater specifically to Enterprise and Education users.
If you're on the more standard Home/Pro Windows 10, updates are set to conclude on 14th October 2025.
Microsoft, in its customary act of mercy, may extend updates for EOL products in exceptional security scenarios.
However, it's essential to recognize that persisting with Windows 10 Home/Pro post-14th Oct 2025 on an internet-connected PC is like leaving your front door wide open while discarding the keys.

you can no longer use drivers from Windows 10 (Vista to 8.1 also work fine in some cases) in Windows 11
Not entirely sure about the source of that information. The best approach is typically to stick with the latest drivers. Devices still available for purchase are expected to come equipped with Windows 11 drivers. However, in my experience, even with older devices that only had Windows 7/8/10 drivers, I've never faced any compatibility issues.

]cheers[
Mike
Don't split your mentality without thinking twice.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.104 seconds with 24 queries.