Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Differential in engine volume with canopy open/closed.  (Read 301 times)

genXgamer

Differential in engine volume with canopy open/closed.
« on: November 06, 2021, 06:25:35 PM »

Hi Guys

This is something that came to my attention while I was playing DHumprey's VF-9 campaign.
Sitting on the carrier deck with engine running and canopy open (Hellcat, Dauntless and Avenger), I then closed the canopy and the engine volume doubles or at least gets louder.
Is this ass/arse about?

My only real life experience sitting in the cockpit during an engine run for a prop aircraft is with the canopy fully closed never open, but I always thought it was quieter sitting inside the cockpit while the engine was running than standing outside as an observer.

So before posting this I thought I would check a couple of other aircraft to make sure I wasn't talking BULLSHIT, the BF 109E-3 and P-40E there's no difference in engine volume when canopy is open or closed so it seems to be a mixed bag.

Any thoughts?

Tested B.A.T. 4.2
Go in quickly - Punch hard - Get out!

WxTech

• Modder
Re: Differential in engine volume with canopy open/closed.
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2021, 07:30:40 PM »

Matches my thoughts on the matter. Over the decades, my experiences around and in a variety of aircraft, including piston driven, turboprop, helicopters and jets supports a noisier engine sound when not attenuated by a fully enclosed cockpit/cabin.
Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people. - Hyman Rickover (but probably predating his use.)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.073 seconds with 26 queries.