Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Some New Skins  (Read 11725 times)

Jagdpanzer

Some New Skins
« on: May 01, 2020, 12:36:37 PM »

After much practice and debate, I have decided to give it a whirl and try my hand at skinning. Please all remember, I am still learning, and nowhere near the caliber of some I see on this site, but as WW1 is somewhat of a neglected area (and my favorite air war era!) I feel I can perhaps in some small way contribute.

A disclaimer: whenever I upload new skins I will try to give the credit to those who's templates or other work have made mine possible. If I neglect to mention someone, or get someone wrong in giving credit, it is from ignorance on my part, and not any kind of willful neglect. If anyone has issues, send me a PM and I will correct something or address it as soon as possible. I am not doing this to steal anyone's thunder or step on anyone's toes!

Also as I am still learning, I cannot produce the huge amount of content I see others do. As a beginner, sometimes the process of skinning is agonizingly slow for me, but hopefully as my skills improve so will my output.

Now on we go.

First off some Fokker DVII skins.

This is a Fokker DVII skin of Offz-Stv Paul Aue of Jasta 10. Aue scored 10 confirmed and 3 unconfirmed victories during the war. He served with the Luftwaffe in WW2 and died in Russian captivity.

This is a Fokker DVII skin of Vzflgmstr. Franz Mayer of MFJ III. Mayer is credited with either three or four victories, depending on the source.

This is a Fokker DVII skin of Ltn. Fritz Friedrichs of Jasta 10. He scored 21 victories, including 8 balloons. Out on a sortie on July 15 1918 his Fokker burst into flames due to the unstable incendiary ammunition used to shoot balloons igniting. He jumped but his parachute became fouled on the tail of his aircraft, and the shroud lines to it broke. He was one of several to meet a similar fate due to faulty incendiary ammunition.

Download for this three pack:
https://www.mediafire.com/file/d8svrtve79tvg8r/Fokker_DVII_Aces_Three_Pack.rar/file

Next some Fokker DVIIF skins.

This is a FOKKER DVIIF of Ltn. Walter Blume of Jasta 9. Ltn. Blume scored 28 confirmed victories, and was one of the last German fliers to be decorated with the Pour Le Merit. (Blue Max award) He survived the war and lived until 1964.

This is a Fokker DVIIF skin of Vzflgmstr. Hans Goerth of Marine Feld Jasta III. Goerth scored 7 confirmed victories.

This is a Fokker DVIIF skin of Lieutenant Josef Karl Peter Jacobs(1894-1978). Jasta 7. He was one of Germany's leading air aces of the First World War, with 48 enemy aircraft and observation balloons to his credit. Although his favorite personal mount was the Fokker DR I Triplane, from June 1918 on he also flew a Fokker DVII on occasion. This skin is of that DVIIF in the Jasta 7 all black scheme.

Download this three pack here:
https://www.mediafire.com/file/ldg393t2zdtaoto/Fokker_DVIIF_Aces_Three_Pack.rar/file

I hope you all like these. Big thanks to MURDOC for the fantastic Fokker DVII templates that made my work possible.

I will try to post my future work here in this thread so there is easy access. WIP include Pfalz DIIIA skins, Fokker DRI skins, Fokker DVI skins, and maybe even an allied plane or two!

dona

• Modder
Re: Some New Skins
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2020, 02:00:28 PM »

Good job!!n Thanks

<Gunny>

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2020, 02:42:20 PM »

Job well done..They look great.... ]wav[

David Prosser

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2020, 05:31:43 PM »

all these skins just flew into my skins folder. Any Pfalz D III skins are eagerly awaited.

cheers

David

Jagdpanzer

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2020, 05:57:41 PM »

As promised, some Pfalz DIII skins. First of all , huge thanks to Gumpy and all involved on the Pfalz DIII project. All my Pfalz skins are based on his work, and none would have been possible without this fantastic plane they gave to our sim.

Two historic skins from Marine Feld Jasta II. The planes of MFJ II were know as the "yellow beaks" to the German infantry in their combat area.

This actual pilot is unknown from MFJ II, but the snake personal insignia on this plane made it famous anyway:

Second, another Pfalz DIIIa from MFJ II with distinct personal markings. Again, the pilot is unknown:

Next, the DIIIa of Oblt. Hans-Georg von der Marwitz of Jasta 30. He would eventually command Jasta 30 and finished the war with 15 confirmed victories. As Staffelfuhrer, he flew a Pfalz painted all burgundy with the distinctive Jasta 30 orange diamond insignia prominently displayed:

And finally the DIIIa of Lt. Rudolf Stark when he was with Jasta 34b. Stark finished the war with 11 confirmed and five unconfirmed victories.

You can download them here: https://www.mediafire.com/file/zl5he3z286e33gy/Pfalz_DIII_4_pack.rar/file

David Prosser

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2020, 06:58:53 PM »

Great work. These just flew into my skins folder too. So will any more that are made. The MFJ ones will be good, as I've got a RNAS campaign that will include them as opponents.

cheers

David

Jagdpanzer

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2020, 09:06:45 PM »

David, thanks for the compliments! The Pfalz is one of my favorites, and I'm currently researching to get some more ideas. So yes, I anticipate doing some more soon. Hopefully a few other different aircraft as well.

David Prosser

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2020, 08:20:00 AM »

That's good news. Please check your PMs.

cheers

David

Jagdpanzer

« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2020, 07:09:21 PM »

Two new Pfalz DIIIa skins. The first is a historic skin from an unknown pilot in Jasta 72. This colorful scheme apparently was the unit marking on most Jasta 72 aircraft:

And, a historic skin again from an unknown pilot in Marine Feld Jasta I :

Download them here: https://www.mediafire.com/file/wzkpch97o3jw118/Pfalz_DIIIa_2_-Pack.rar/file

Thanks to Gumpy for the excellent Pfalz DIII template.

Upcoming WIP include SPAD 13 skins for some of the US Aero squadrons...

David Prosser

« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2020, 04:20:09 AM »

Excellent. I await your SPAD XIII skins with bated breath. Meanwhile, these just flew into my skins folder.

Jagdpanzer

« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2020, 09:05:17 PM »

As promised, some American SPAD XIII skins. All of the pilots in these skins were aces, and decorated pilots as well. It being Memorial Day weekend here in the USA, I wanted to honor these men. I think we sometimes forget that in our sim world these were real flesh and blood men, who actually lived the dangers and missions we simulate. So, I thought I would post some of their award citations here along with their aircraft skins to honor their memory.

First up, 2 Lt. Frank Luke of the 27th Aero Squadron. Luke was known as the "Arizona Balloon Buster". Between September 12 and September 29, 1918, Luke was credited with shooting down 14 German balloons and four airplanes. He achieved these 18 victories during just 10 sorties in eight days, a feat unsurpassed by any pilot in World War I. Frank Luke was awarded the Medal of Honor posthumously, and was also awarded two Distinguished Service Crosses for actions in combat. His Medal of Honor Citation reads: "After having previously destroyed a number of enemy aircraft within 17 days he voluntarily started on a patrol after German observation balloons. Though pursued by 8 German planes which were protecting the enemy balloon line, he unhesitatingly attacked and shot down in flames 3 German balloons, being himself under heavy fire from ground batteries and the hostile planes. Severely wounded, he descended to within 50 meters of the ground and flying at this low altitude near the town of Murvaux opened fire upon enemy troops, killing 6 and wounding as many more. Forced to make a landing and surrounded on all sides by the enemy, who called upon him to surrender, he drew his automatic pistol and defended himself gallantly until he fell dead from a wound in the chest."

Next is a skin of Capt. Frank O'Driscoll Hunter, of the 103rd Aero Squadron. Hunter was from my own home state of Georgia, and In May 1918 on his first combat patrol, Hunter downed two German planes and landed safely despite being wounded. By the end of the war he had nine German planes to his credit. He was awarded the Distinguished Service Cross with four oak leaf clusters, more than any person other than Eddie Rickenbacker who received six oak leaf clusters to the DSC. His achievements in aerial combat also earned him the French Croix de Guerre with palm. He left the Army for a short time after the war, but returned with a commission in the Regular Army Air Service in 1920. In World War II he served as commanding general of the VIII Fighter Command and, later, the First Air Force.

Lieutenant Frank Hunter of the American Expeditionary Forces Air Service in World War I received five Distinguished Service Cross citations:

"Frank O'D. Hunter, First Lieutenant, Air Service, pilot, 103d Aero Squadron. For extraordinary heroism in action in the region of Ypres, Belgium, June 2, 1918. Lieut. Hunter, while on patrol, alone attacked two enemy biplanes, destroying one and forcing the other to retire. In the course of the combat he was wounded in the forehead. Despite his injuries he succeeded in returning his damaged plane to his own aerodrome.

"A bronze oak leaf, to be worn with the Distinguished Service Cross, for extraordinary heroism in action in the region of Champey, France, September 13, 1918. He, accompanied by one other mono-place plane, attacked an enemy patrol of six planes. Despite numerical superiority and in a decisive combat, he destroyed one enemy plane and, with the aid of his companion, forced the others within their own lines.

"A second bronze oak leaf, for extraordinary heroism in action near Verneville, France, September 17, 1918. Leading a patrol of three planes, he attacked an enemy formation of eight planes. Although out-numbered, they succeeded in bringing down four of the enemy. Lieut. Hunter accounted for two of these."

"A third bronze oak leaf, for extraordinary heroism in action in the region of Liny-devant-Dun, France. While separated from his patrol he observed an allied patrol of seven planes (Breguets) hard pressed by enemy formation of 10 planes (Fokker type). He attacked two of the enemy that were harassing a single Breguet and in a decisive fight destroyed one of them. Meanwhile five enemy planes approached and concentrated their fire upon him. Undaunted by their superiority, he attacked and brought down a second plane."

"A fourth bronze oak leaf, for extraordinary heroism in action in the region of Bantheville, France. While on patrol he encountered an enemy formation of six monoplanes. He immediately attacked and destroyed one enemy plane and forced the others to disperse in confusion."

Next up is the skin of MAYER III, the SPAD XIII of Lt. Jacque Swaab, of the 22nd Aero Squadron. Ten confirmed victories made him the top scoring ace of the 22nd Aero; his seven unconfirmed claims, if verified, would have made him one of the leading American aces of the war.

In 1938, Swaab served as technical advisor on the film The Dawn Patrol, starring Errol Flynn and David Niven.Swaab died in Los Angeles on 7 July 1963 and is buried in Arlington National Cemetery.

His DSC citation reads: "This Distinguished Service Cross is presented to Jacques M. Swaab, First Lieutenant (Air Service), U.S. Army, for extraordinary heroism in action near Montfaucon, France, September 28, 1918, and in the region of Champignuelle, October 27, 1918. On September 28 Lieutenant Swaab, although himself pursued by two enemy planes, perceiving one of his comrades in distress and in danger of being shot down, dived upon the enemy plane which was directly behind that of his comrade and shot the enemy plane out of control, forcing it to withdraw. His prompt act in going to the assistance of his comrade enabled the latter to escape. On October 27 Lieutenant Swaab and another member of his group engaged in combat with seven enemy planes. In this encounter, although outnumbered, Lieutenant Swaab continued in his attack and succeeded in shooting down an enemy D. F. W. observation plane."

Finally there is the SPAD XIII skin of Capt. Charles Biddle, 13th Aero Squadron. Biddle joined the Lafayette Flying Corps in France on 8 April 1917. He was assigned to Escadrille 73, where after several indecisive combats with a Spad VII he scored a victory flying a SPAD XIII. Biddle transferred to the American 103d Aero Squadron on 10 January 1918 and was commissioned as a captain in the Aviation Section of the U.S. Army Signal Corps on 12 January 1918. Again flying the Spad VII he scored a victory over a Halberstadt CL.II. He then moved on to the 13th Aero Squadron (nicknamed "The Devil's Own Grim Reapers") where he achieved five more aerial victories, most of them in the SPAD XIII, giving him a total of seven confirmed. At one point he was entrusted with a SPAD XII, featuring a 37mm cannon along with its standard single machine gun armament. He was the only American pilot to actually fly a SPAD XII in combat.

In recognition of his service, the French awarded him both the Legion of Honor and the Croix de Guerre, and he received the American Distinguished Service Cross and the Belgian Order of Leopold II.

His citations read:

Distinguished Service Cross (DSC) citation

"The Distinguished Service Cross is presented to Charles John Biddle, Captain (Air Service), U.S. Army, for extraordinary heroism in action in the region of Damvillers, France, September 26, 1918. During an engagement between 11 Spads and 12 enemy Fokkers, Captain Biddle, perceiving a comrade in distress from the attack of two planes, dived upon them and by his fire forced them to withdraw. His prompt action saved the life of his comrade, who was in imminent danger of being shot to the ground."

Ordre de LĂ©opold citation

"For extraordinary heroism in action on 12 April 1918 near Corbeny, France, and on 15 May 1918, near Ypres, Belgium. Captain Biddle has daily shown himself an excellent and remarkable example of courage, energy and skill, leading his pilots to the attack at every opportunity and making his flight a most efficient one. On 12 April, he attacked and destroyed an enemy two-seater which crashed between the trenches at Corbeny. On 15 May, while leading his patrol, he attacked, at very low altitude and far within the enemy lines, an enemy two-seater, killing the observer and forcing him down. A few minutes later he engaged a second enemy plane at very close range. Wounded in his leg, his plane and motor riddled, Captain Biddle was forced to land in 'No Man's Land' less than 70 yards from the German trenches in the region of Ypres. With remarkable courage and presence of mind and despite his wound, he detached himself from his smashed machine and made his way from shell hole under intense artillery, machine gun and rifle fire, to an advanced British Observation post."

French Croix de Guerre citation, 4 June 1918

"A Pilot of marvelous spirit. Attacked two enemy two-seaters successfully behind their lines, probably shooting down the first. Wounded and disabled in the course of the second combat, by sheer strength he succeeded in landing in no man's land and after passing the day in a shell hole, by night he got back to the Allied trenches."

For me learning of the exploits of these men was as much fun as doing the skins. Drop these into your SPAD13 or SPAD_13b folder. Thanks to MURDOC for the great template.

Download them here:
https://www.mediafire.com/file/lmn55u2zjsn5w70/American_SPAD_XIII_Aces.rar/file

David Prosser

« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2020, 01:07:57 AM »

Thanks for these. They just flew into my skins folder.

cheers

David
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5   Go Up

Page created in 0.073 seconds with 25 queries.