Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Jet combat  (Read 3284 times)

Flanker27

Jet combat
« on: October 28, 2019, 09:05:02 AM »

This is just an observation, but iv found that many here seem to be totally against jet aircraft and modern aircraft combat in IL 1946, i know its still got a ways to go to make it a truly modern era flight sim,  but flying a mig against a F-105 or F-86 is a lot of fun. Im curious as to why most of you are so stuck on props and i dont mean any disrespect by this, just curiosity

SAS~Ghost129er

• SAS Team
  • SAS Certified Lurk
Re: Jet combat
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2019, 10:12:45 AM »

Cause you can't land on Fifi's with a Jet. :))
Current activity: Giving his E46 330ci some TLC.

NobleNerd

• Spinny Wing Machine Flyer Person
  • I need bacon.
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2019, 10:16:51 AM »

Meanwhile, I witnessed an N1K1 floatplane successfully dogfight and shoot down a MiG-9 jet fighter...

I love this game's AI.  ;D

Ta183Huckebein

• FAC #17
  • Modder
  • aka "Raven"
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2019, 10:23:18 AM »

Oh, the AI's a bloody riot.

It makes creating Co-op missions tough though, since I can't really predict how a mission will ultimately turn out no matter how much I test it on my own, until the whole group I intend to have fly it does.

Flanker27

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2019, 11:03:16 AM »

im guessing that the AI is hard coded and isnt one of those things that can be tweaked for high speed BVR jet combat?

enry711

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2019, 12:51:41 PM »

This is just an observation, but iv found that many here seem to be totally against jet aircraft and modern aircraft combat in IL 1946, i know its still got a ways to go to make it a truly modern era flight sim,  but flying a mig against a F-105 or F-86 is a lot of fun. Im curious as to why most of you are so stuck on props and i dont mean any disrespect by this, just curiosity
I play a lot of JTW in my free time, and i can guarantee you that the AI is almost unpredictable, especially in FMB.
However, this does not mean you can't have fun yourself. I noticed that MiG-21/23 and the F-100/104 or A-4 have a strong AI while many other planes like the F-4 or the A-6 have more problems.
If you fly a squad of F-4s vs MiGs you're probably going to "carry" your teammates, while if you play with the F-104 in particular, the AI goes rogue and starts spamming missiles, strafing targets and be very aggressive.
It's a bit hit or miss, especially in QMB, while if you pass much time in FMB like i do, you can create a more "controlled environment".
I'm making a lot of FMB quick missions in this period (for now private, maybe i'll release them in the future if i see interest) both in JTW and WAW, to always have the AI doing what i tell them to do.

baronbutcher

• Lost in space and in time!
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2019, 03:08:19 AM »

Im curious as to why most of you are so stuck on props and i dont mean any disrespect by this, just curiosity
1) Because props aren't boring,  ;D you see the enemy and get up close  8) and not fire a missile miles away,  :( 2) the game was originally designed for props especially WW2, 3) WW2 era and WW1 and in between wars saw much diversity of combat, the aircraft types and sub types was enormous, don't get me wrong I like jets especially Korean War, 1960's, 1970's etc. Sabre, Mig 15, F 105 Thunderchief, Mig 21, Swedish Viggen, F-15 Eagle, English Electric Lightning, etc. etc. but WW2 wins hands down for interest for me. The amount of Camo patterns (so 8)), nearly all the aircraft actually can be assessed and actually fought and the numbers involved varied from small engagements to enormous numbers in combat. The terrain over which battles were fought was diverse . 4) Modern jets are plain boring - and F-22, or F-35 or whatever compared to a F4 Phantom or F-15 Eagle:  the F4 and F-15  wins it for me for interest. Likewise I rather see a Spit or Me10, B-17, Lancaster, Fokker, Spad, MC 202, Zero, etc. etc. etc.  than some 'yawn' Raptor. ::)  Kids like the modern jet toys but it is like comparing most of today's music to pre 2000's Rock it isn't just ain't as interesting!   :)

SAS~Malone

• flying as #46 with the FAC
  • Editor
  • proud member of that 'other' site
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2019, 03:16:20 AM »

what baronbutcher just said. :D
modern aerial combat makes for a relatively boring 'video game' type fighting, as opposed to props, which force you to get up close and personal, and your ability to fly your plane to its strengths is much more essential.
i love jets too, don't get me wrong, but it makes sense that folk who prefer prop planes would be drawn to IL-2, as opposed to something like DCS/LockOn and other such jet sims.

.....taking fun seriously since 1968.....  8)

KingTiger503

• Legendary History Luftwaffe Elite Ace ,,, FAC# 53
  • Supporter
  • KT503 Elite
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2019, 05:28:34 AM »

Last thing I pursued a MiG-15 with F-51, I shot him Down two weeks ago in FAC Season.
My Greatest and Best Regards KT503

SAS~Storebror

• Editor
  • Taking a timeout
    • STFU
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2019, 10:38:35 AM »

I had the chance to witness what KT said, good job.

To second Eugene's statement, the game engine of IL-2 simply doesn't know how to handle guided missiles and it hardly knows how to handle jets.
Anything past the sound barrier is well beyond the game engine's limits.
The makeshift solution we've implemented to make AI fire missiles at all is just that: Makeshift. It's just there to make them launch missiles roughly in the direction of their enemies at all. Nothing more, nothing less. SAMs are even worse (that's probably because it's been done by less talented guys).
AI has absolutely no idea of how to handle Mach 2 jets, let alone an idea of what the difference between an F-104 and an F-14 is.

]cheers[
Mike
Don't split your mentality without thinking twice.

Flanker27

« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2019, 10:40:25 AM »

That explains why most of the missiles the AI fires miss then

David Prosser

« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2019, 04:19:16 PM »

Biggles books got me interested in flying, war, and history. As others have mentioned, this game is not really set up for jets due to game engine limitations. Many of the WWI and WWII planes are drenched in history. Multiple forests have been felled writing about their performance and feats. Not so for many jets.

I did do a Korean War campaign in 2011 when I was living there teaching English. It felt strange setting missions over Inchon. I could recognize the area where I used to live. Same for Daegu. I never released it. I might re-do it later. The Korean War is close enough to WWII.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.088 seconds with 25 queries.