Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Controllers ID problem  (Read 937 times)

henkypenky

• BAT 4.2 Flashpoint & WAW
Controllers ID problem
« on: May 31, 2019, 05:56:47 AM »

Hi, I run into some trouble trying to get my Simpit working; my configuration is Windows 7, Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas, MFG pedals and Saitek Pro Flight throttle quadrant.
With JoyIDs I have given Thrustmaster stick ID 1, Throttle ID 2, MFG pedals ID 3 and Saitek ID 4. When I assign controls to function in IL-2, starting up by clicking the Il-2 Selector and assigning lets say the rudder to the MFG pedals I get Z-Axis Rotation ID4, which in users/doe/settings give AXE_RZ JoystickDevice3 = rudder. Sofar so good. The misery starts when using the TARGET gui to start-up IL-2; there's no rudder function on the pedals. In this situation I'll stop the mission and assign the rudder again; this time it gives Z-Axis Rotation ID3 and the rudder works ok.
The same goes for the Saitek throttle; first it was ID 3 and assinging it after a 'TARGET start up' it becomes ID 2. In users/doe/settings the number are JoystickDevice2 for the pedals and JoystickDevice1 for the Saitek.

Does anybody knows a 'trick' to prevent this swapping of ID's?

SAS~Storebror

• Editor
  • Taking a timeout
    • STFU
Re: Controllers ID problem
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2019, 08:04:21 AM »

Welcome to the Windows + Saitek hell of Joystick IDs.
In a nutshell, Windows has a rather irritating way to allocate IDs for gaming devices and from their point of view, it's the manufacturer's fault if IDs don't stay the same all the time.
To top it off, Microsoft doesn't think that IDs need to remain the same during reboots... *sigh*
See https://docs.microsoft.com/de-de//windows-hardware/drivers/hid/joystick-identification-callback

You are using Windows 7. In that case probably the closest thing to a solution would be to use some virtualization software like VJoy which maps physical device(s) to virtual one(s), usually retaining IDs as you configure them in VJoy.
Another possibility would be to upgrade to Windows 10.
Apparently, Microsoft rolled out something with the November 2018 update for Windows 10 that fixes the issue for most users.

]cheers[
Mike
Don't split your mentality without thinking twice.

henkypenky

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2019, 09:22:40 AM »

Hey thanks Mike, I think I'll try to learn myself to only adjust assingments after a 'TARGET start up' and see what comes of this. Win 10 has to wait a while

tomoose

• Modder
  • Iiiiiiiit's ME! Hurrah!!
    • 71 "Eagle" Squadron
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2019, 02:42:37 PM »

Henkypenky;
 I use the Thrustmaster Warthog Joystick and Thrustmaster Warthog Throttle combo plus a Saitek (3-lever) throttle console and Thrustmaster rudder pedals (I had Saitek pedals before with no issues either).  I also use TrackIR.

I don't use any of the TARGET software at all and I don't assign a profile (i.e. it's all "Joystick 1" under Input in the game) and simply assign buttons etc in the IL2 Controls menu (HOTAS).  Once set, no problems.  I don't unplug anything (I have a flight seat that I slide in front of the screen when playing the game).  I use Windows 7 (I made the jump to 10...once...and jumped right back, LOL). 

With the amount of buttons and switches available there's no problem covering pretty much all the requirements for the cockpit, engine, guns, views etc.  I'm probably missing out on some features but I haven't seen the necessity of using the TARGET software.

Not sure if that helps you but toss it out there for what it's worth.

henkypenky

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2019, 06:13:02 AM »

Hi Tomoose, thanks for the info this could be 'anoteher way'. Had contact with the Thrustmaster helpdesk and learned the following facts: Its impossible to add another brand of controller in the Target software. If Il-2 is started via Target and new or altered assignments are made, then the ID's will remain the same. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.062 seconds with 26 queries.