Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Making and exporting multi-part buildings in GMAX???  (Read 1292 times)

mandrill

• Modder
Making and exporting multi-part buildings in GMAX???
« on: April 30, 2018, 07:04:44 PM »

I have been experimenting making buildings in GMAX. I made the sample building in KevinP's tutorial. And then I imported a CanonUK building into GMAX, changed the dimensions and re-exported it successfully back into Il-2.

I then attempted to make my own building. I made a simple house and added 3 chimney objects - leftchimney, middlechimney and rightchimney. I linked the chimneys to the house and made the house the parent. It seemed to work okay. I could move the house and the chimneys moved with it.

But then I attempted to export the house to IL-2. Problems began.

I used FatDuck's exporter as set out in the KevinP tutorial. It translated the code for the house object correctly, but then decided that the chimney objects were collision meshes and wrote them down that way. Needless to say this was not what I wanted. And it didn't load in the game either.

I tried again. This time, I clicked on each of the chimneys and the house separately when I used the script listener and got 4 different meshes - one mesh for each of the 4 objects.

Now this would maybe work with a hier.him file. But this seems very complicated for a simple house and CanonUK's houses do not use this complex file structure. They just use a single live.mesh file.

Is there a way to simply merge the chimneys into the house object and to create 1 object out of the house and chimneys and thus, produce one single live.mesh that I could export to IL-2???

western0221

• Modder
  • Live in Japan
    • IL-2 itaki blog
Re: Making and exporting multi-part buildings in GMAX???
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2018, 07:29:31 PM »

Hi.

Your consultation hears like IL-2 1946's rendering poly-count limit problem "One msh has to be under 3000 polys" and Static Object limit problem, instead of GMAX or exporter ones.
Static Object like houses have to be made of single msh file in ".sim" style.
Multi msh files in ".him" style becomes Stationary Object their arrangement information are written in only .mis file, not map its own.
When you want to set new houses as parts of maps, those houses have to be in Static Object and in ".sim" style.

When all new house parts ..... the house main and the 3 chimneys ..... total poly count is under 3000 , you can merge (Attach) all parts into one in GMAX before exporting.
New merged House with Chimneys can be handled as a Static Object in IL-2 1946 and arranged on maps.
If No ---- unfortunately total poly count is over 3000 ----, impossible to make your wish come true .....

mandrill

• Modder
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2018, 06:30:58 AM »

Western,

Thanks for your great advice. Would you be kind enough to give me the instructions for MERGING the objects into a single object??

If something isn't covered in the KevinP or Milton Shoop tutorials, I am pretty useless!

There are only 46 polys in my house, so there should be no problem!

western0221

• Modder
  • Live in Japan
    • IL-2 itaki blog
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2018, 06:41:34 AM »

My PC cannot handle GMAX and I cannot show you GMAX operation, but
similar button of 3ds Max9 may appear in GMAX.

"Modify" panel --- Edit Geometry --- "Attach" or "Attach List" button

mandrill

• Modder
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2018, 05:33:48 PM »

Thank you, Western!

It seems to work the same in GMAX. I selected the house object  / converted the house object to editable mesh / selected attach / pressed the "attach list" button and then selected all 3 chimney objects and attached them to the house object. They all changed from their previous colours to dark blue - (the colour of the house object).

It works perfectly and I now have my object in the game!!!

western0221

• Modder
  • Live in Japan
    • IL-2 itaki blog
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2018, 11:32:02 PM »

Good news.

mandrill

• Modder
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2018, 10:14:10 AM »

Yes indeed. I have made a couple of buildings. Thank you for your help.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.092 seconds with 26 queries.