Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Missions take ages to load in DOF  (Read 4470 times)

Alex840

Missions take ages to load in DOF
« on: January 17, 2017, 06:31:52 PM »

I've got a problem to load missions in DOF, either from FMB or single missions/campaign screen. When i select a mission hit the Brief button, it take about 8-12 min to get to the briefing screen. Analyzing the logfile, i found that the most likely culprit is the MissionPROCombo, which runs multiple routines to load all FM's listed in air.ini everytime a mission is launched in the game (the same routine ran when DOF is 60% initialized). It's really weird to have to sit and wait for 10 minutes everytime you want to play a mission in the same game session. I suggest give an option to disable MissionProCombo only in DOF, until a fix for this issue arrives.

Everytime a mission is launched the logfile reads like it. Playing only two missions with one aircraft each i got a logfile with 433941 lines and 40 MB size!

Code: [Select]
FM called 'FlightModels/FokkerDr1.fmd:FOKKER' is being loaded from File: 'fokker'
FM called 'FlightModels/FokkerDr1.fmd:FOKKER' is being loaded from Alternative File: 'fokker'
FM called 'FlightModels/FokkerDr1.fmd:FOKKER' is being loaded from File: 'fokker'
FM called 'FlightModels/FokkerDr1.fmd:FOKKER' is being loaded from Alternative File: 'fokker'
FM called 'FlightModels/Generic.fmd' is being loaded from Alternative File: 'gui/game/buttons'
FM called 'FlightModels/Generic.fmd' is being loaded from Alternative File: 'gui/game/buttons'
FM called 'FlightModels/Rolland.fmd:Rolland_FM' is being loaded from File: 'rolland_fm'
and so on repeatedly times...

Missions tested in TGA, WAW and JTW are OK, 100% MissionPRO compatible without any faults.

SAS~Monty27

• SAS Team
  • Action and Adventure!
    • SPEEDMACHINE
Re: Missions take ages to load in DOF
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2017, 07:13:41 PM »

What is your hardware like?  I had this type of delay when using portable drives.  When I put B.A.T. onto a good hard-drive the problems vanished.

PhantomII

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2017, 07:24:29 PM »

Hi Monty, I have mine on the C drive and I had to disable the instant log class files to get DOF to load quicker.

Forager

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2017, 07:58:55 PM »

This is not a complaint, only adding to the information bank.
WIN 10 Home
Intel Core i5 6400 CPU @ 2.07 GHz
64-bit
EVGA GTX 750 Ti
12GB RAM
BAT with all 1-5b addons
DOF would stick at 60%
I never had the patience to see if it would eventually load but I did wait over 5 minutes several times and it held at 60%

When I changed the Console section entry LOG=1 to  LOG=0  DOF loaded properly, only holding at 60% for about 20 seconds.

I have a copy on a Toshiba Canvio 1.5tb external HD and it loads in about the same time.

Monty, all of your time and patience is much appreciated, BAT is at the top of the most excellent  mountain of improvements you and your cohorts have given to us, Thanks.

flightdok74

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2017, 08:13:22 PM »

I am running  my copy of BAT. also on a  Toshiba Canvio HD. and is loading within a minute with this disabled also.

Alex840

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2017, 08:38:25 PM »

I'm running BAT in the internal master drive (a Seagate SSHD), in the same partition of the OS (Win 7 Home Premium). My rig is an Intel Core i5 3230M at 2.60 GHz with 8MB RAM.

I had the same trouble with CUP in the past, and get rid of the problem disabling MissionPRO. For some reason, MissionPRO starts a routine to read all FM's each time the debriefing screen is launched in DOF, and repeat the routine multiple times, as seen in the logfile.

I've uploaded logfile for analysis: https://www.dropbox.com/s/0mwce4wj4vzdpdb/DOF_log.lst?dl=0

Alex840

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2017, 08:54:56 PM »

When I changed the Console section entry LOG=1 to  LOG=0  DOF loaded properly, only holding at 60% for about 20 seconds.

Changed LOG=1 to LOG=0 here. Loading times dropped from 12 min to 1:40 in DOF loading and mission launch debrief screen delay dropped from 10 minutes to 50 seconds. Not perfect but something we can live with. Thanks for the advice and my apologies for any inconvenience.

I think the problem can be marked as solved now.

SAS~Storebror

• Editor
  • Taking a timeout
    • STFU
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2017, 10:46:53 PM »

Instead of disabling the log completely, as a temporary solution I'd recommend to rename the folder
#DOF2/Classes-!SAS-InstantLog
to
#DOF2/-Classes-!SAS-InstantLog
(put a minus in front of the foldername), in order to disable the "InstantLog" Mod.
This will speed up the delay in the very same way but keep your log going, as long as there's not sudden crash to desktop.
In case of the latter you will have to remove the "-" again in order to get a full log of the regarding issue.

The underlying problem is within the Engine Mod, it's been something that has been solved 4 years ago during development of Modact 5, no clue why and how this code glitch made it back into this version of the Engine Mod again... we'll discuss this among the modders involved.

Best regards - Mike
Don't split your mentality without thinking twice.

Forager

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2017, 06:35:59 AM »

Thanks for the explanation of the problem.

It only ever affects the DOF module here.

dpeters95

• Modder
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2017, 10:38:30 AM »

Instead of disabling the log completely, as a temporary solution I'd recommend to rename the folder
to
(put a minus in front of the foldername), in order to disable the "InstantLog" Mod.
This will speed up the delay in the very same way but keep your log going, as long as there's not sudden crash to desktop.
In case of the latter you will have to remove the "-" again in order to get a full log of the regarding issue.

The underlying problem is within the Engine Mod, it's been something that has been solved 4 years ago during development of Modact 5, no clue why and how this code glitch made it back into this version of the Engine Mod again... we'll discuss this among the modders involved.

Best regards - Mike

Great tip Mike!  I never liked the idea of turning off the log in conf.ini for everything but disabling the folder for DOF, I like!

Thanks,
Dennis

loftyc

« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2017, 02:18:31 PM »

to

Best regards - Mike

yup, that did it for me, too- DoF load times are normal.  Thanks for the explanation as well, and for all you guys do.

PhantomII

« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2017, 07:44:22 PM »

Yes Mike, Thanks for the explanation as to why this occurs. will wait for a real solution. Thanks to all you modders for all you do.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.062 seconds with 27 queries.