Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Aichi D1A1 as He 50 or He 66  (Read 4821 times)

EHood

• Supporter
Aichi D1A1 as He 50 or He 66
« on: October 18, 2015, 02:28:18 PM »

I suspect that someone has already raised the following possibilities. Nevertheless:

The Aichi D1A was essentially a license-built version of the Heinkel He 50, an aircraft which was in fact designed according to an IJN  specification. Luftwaffe and Condor legion skins would definitely be in order for the D1A1/He 50; it was assigned to pre-war Luftwaffe dive-bomber units, and used operationally during the SCW. The He 50 was flown in Spanish Nationalist markings as well; skin sets for Luftwaffe, Condor Legion, and Spanish Air Force He 50s would certainly be useful.

The He 50 continued in Luftwaffe service almost until the end of World War II. It was used primarily as a utility aircraft, but some were posted to ground attack units and used for night harassment-bombing missions flown on the Eastern Front.

Some of the longer-lived Luftwaffe machines were originally He 66s (the export version of the He 50) which had been sold to China, but never delivered. I've been given to understand that a few of the machines intended for China actually were shipped to a Chinese port, where they ended up, unpacked and unassembled, in a dockside warehouse. It's probably safe to assume that no combat encounters occurred between IJN D1A1s or D1A2s and Chinese He 66s. A set of CAF skins for the D1A, however, would be worth considering. These would provide a fine excuse for speculative dogfights between Susies.  ;)
A ya tsi-tsalagi.

David Prosser

Re: Aichi D1A1 as He 50 or He 66
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2015, 09:51:53 PM »

Good idea. I hadn't heard of these types before. I hope someone makes the skin.

EHood

• Supporter
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2016, 09:52:29 AM »

Just a sort of request renewal regarding the He 50/He 66, in view of VonWaffen's colorful new He 51 skins:

https://www.sas1946.com/main/index.php/topic,50434.msg550544.html#new
A ya tsi-tsalagi.

VonWaffen

• Modder
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2016, 10:29:50 AM »

I was curious about this ,as i  have any answer i give a look about it , could find some pic but not much may be 2 night witch camo pattern , one other  for the eastern front and few pre-war Luftwaffe (almost all the same in this case just different calling number)
 about the Spanish civil war planes look here what I found ----  http://bioold.science.ku.dk/drnash/model/Spain/did.html
The enemy is stupid. Believing it's us the enemy,when it's him

EHood

• Supporter
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2016, 10:02:06 PM »

There is a drawback to using the D1A as an He 50 or He 66. So far I have found only one photo of a Luftwaffe He 50 with an engine cowling:

http://www.airwar.ru/image/idop/spyww2/he50/he50-4.jpg

Note that the cowl ring on this aircraft, D-IMOE, is very much like the cowling on Giotto's D1A2. On the other hand, the D1A2 had wheel spats, and D-IMOE did not.

Giotto's D1A1 has a much narrower cowling, but the model is otherwise essentially identical to the He 50s in every other photo I have. Here's another link to the same website, and a selection of half-a-dozen different photos. I've also seen photos, taken at frontline airfields, of He 50s in camouflage, but, naturally, these are all monochrome photos, and the quality is fairly poor.

http://www.airwar.ru/enc/spyww2/he50.html

I could live with an He 50 with the narrow cowl ring. Frankly, I'm hoping that it will be possible for someone to produce Luftwaffe skins for the D1A1 or D1A2 (He 66?). I must say, however, that removing the cowl ring from Giotto's D1A1 would result in a near-perfect Luftwaffe version of the He 50. This, however, is far beyond my ability. In any event, even if I could somehow eliminate the cowling, I would of course want to consult with Giotto on this.

Thank you, VonWaffen, for having a look at this, and a word on the subject.  ;D
A ya tsi-tsalagi.

Fresco23

• Part-Time Skinner
  • Modder
  • F.A.C. #23
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2016, 08:34:24 AM »

I like this request, and I think I will give this a try.

It will be a few days at best before completion. I am not a template guru, so I will need to find a template to work with. I'll start tomorrow morning if able.

Regards
Micah
cogito, ergo sum armatus

Fresco23

• Part-Time Skinner
  • Modder
  • F.A.C. #23
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2016, 10:26:57 AM »

I have the aircraft downloaded, and plying beautifully in 4.13.1.

Also found the templates by Archie.

Tomorrow, ill be able to dedicate some time to putting together some skins. Ill do a Luftwaffe first, then move to SCW skins after that! It may take a few days but ill keep up with the progress here.

EDIT: Took a couple minutes to look it over, and the end result is promising. I like it already. Stay tuned, real progress tomorrow i think!!
cogito, ergo sum armatus

EHood

• Supporter
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2016, 02:45:13 PM »

Many thanks, fresco! Looking forward to this.   :)
A ya tsi-tsalagi.

Fresco23

• Part-Time Skinner
  • Modder
  • F.A.C. #23
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2016, 08:21:39 AM »

Just some progress. Obviously incomplete, but this gives an idea of what i have in mind.

Does this work?? If you have any suggestions, feedback, requests. Feel free. As stated earlier i will attempt an SCW skin or two after i get the Luftwaffe skins complete.

ALSO: info request.... does anyone know whether these pre-war luftwaffe bird have crosses on the wings? Or should it have the code across the wings? Or other? I have tried to look around but all the photos are very grainy due to shadows, or they are side shots.
cogito, ergo sum armatus

EHood

• Supporter
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2016, 03:59:21 PM »

fresco23 - Please check your PMs.  :)
A ya tsi-tsalagi.

max_thehitman

• SAS~Area51
  • Modder
  • Beer...Girls...IL2+Mods!
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2016, 07:43:58 PM »

Just some progress. Obviously incomplete, but this gives an idea of what i have in mind.

Does this work?? If you have any suggestions, feedback, requests. Feel free. As stated earlier i will attempt an SCW skin or two after i get the Luftwaffe skins complete.

ALSO: info request.... does anyone know whether these pre-war luftwaffe bird have crosses on the wings? Or should it have the code across the wings? Or other? I have tried to look around but all the photos are very grainy due to shadows, or they are side shots.

You can check out my free poster download AND PSD-files for roundels+markings
for Germany ... https://www.sas1946.com/main/index.php/topic,50822.0.html
It has the information you need  :)

Everything I like is either illegal, immoral or fattening ! Welcome to SAS1946

Fresco23

• Part-Time Skinner
  • Modder
  • F.A.C. #23
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2016, 10:13:10 PM »

Ah! Many thanks max! I'll look at it ASAP!
cogito, ergo sum armatus
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.083 seconds with 25 queries.