Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Fokker D.VIII propeller problem  (Read 3035 times)

EHood

• Supporter
Fokker D.VIII propeller problem
« on: October 14, 2015, 10:02:01 PM »

A day or two ago, in another thread, on a completely different topic, I mentioned that I'd just discovered that the Fokker D.VIII is indeed included in my CUP/DOF installation. At the time I made this discovery, I did not attempt to fly the aircraft; I was just glad to see it in the DOF air.ini, and the QMB menu.
Earlier today, I set up a QMB mission, with myself leading a flight of four D.VIII against four Spad VII. Here's what I saw when I occupied the pilot's seat:

The view ahead was essentially completely blocked by what appeared to be large, rotating sheets of metal. I thought this might have to do with the frame rate, but then I put the machine in autopilot and hit F2. To my horror:

:o Sheet metal indeed, and all of the other D.VIIIs in the flight had the same great, rotating fan blades:

The propellers on the SPADs were proper, transparent blurs, and so far I've only encountered the fan-dance effect on the Fokker D.VIII. This is quite a disappointment; I was really looking forward to seeing how the D.VIII handled.

Has anyone else seen this? Does anyone know how to remedy the problem? Any advice would of course be much appreciated.

:(
A ya tsi-tsalagi.

FL2070

• Modder
  • FAC #87
Re: Fokker D.VIII propeller problem
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2015, 01:39:09 PM »

I might be able to provide a simple Propellor.tga mod that fixes this. Gimme around 30 minutes.
On average, the average average averages, averagely, the average average of all averages.

EHood

• Supporter
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2015, 01:48:56 PM »

Just found your post, dirtbloxxMC. Many thanks. If you need an e-mail address, let me know, and I'll PM it to you.

Fingers crossed.  ;)
A ya tsi-tsalagi.

FL2070

• Modder
  • FAC #87
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2015, 01:51:50 PM »

See if this works: Download Link

Just move the FokkerDVIII folder to your #DOF mods folder.
On average, the average average averages, averagely, the average average of all averages.

EHood

• Supporter
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2015, 08:38:48 PM »

dirtbloxxMC,

Many thanks; the link works fine, and I have downloaded the file. I slipped it into the #DOF folder in the root directory, but the appearance of the propeller on the DVIII is the same as in the screenies posted above. Given my near-complete lack of knowledge regarding the software for the aircraft, I suspect that I probably installed the folder in the wrong location. Is there a more specific path I should follow for placing the folder?

I do appreciate the time and effort you spent preparing the FokkerDVIII folder. The fact is that although I've been using Il-2 for about a decade, and I built my first modded version - the CUP installation - in August of this year, I am almost completely ignorant of the nature of the actual guts of the sim. Any help with placing the folder/files in the correct location would be welcome.
A ya tsi-tsalagi.

FL2070

• Modder
  • FAC #87
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2015, 11:22:26 AM »

You should be able to find Propeller.tga here:

Il-2/#DOF/FokkerDVIII/3do/aircraft/FokkerDVIII/Propeller.tga

Also, find your log.lst in your game folder and post anything in it related to FokkerDVIII or Propeller.tga

If that doesn't work try reinstalling the Fokker DVIII found in the WWI section, and if that doesn't work, get help from someone more experienced or report this as a bug.

EHood

• Supporter
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2015, 09:50:04 AM »

dirtbloxxMC - Your #DOF folder must differ from mine. These are the contents of my #DOF folder. Please note that no individual aircraft types are listed:

I've been through every file and folder in #DOF, and unless I've missed something, the 0nly place where individual types are mentioned is in STD>>>>>air.ini.

Again, I appreciate the help thus far. A tutorial on this sort of thing, simplified for the inexperienced among us, does seem to be in order. If I can learn how to handle the process, I'd compose one, complete with step-by-step screenshots.

A ya tsi-tsalagi.

FL2070

• Modder
  • FAC #87
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2015, 12:01:38 PM »

I don't have CUP.... =3

But if you have my quick-fix mod installed correctly, you should find propeller.tga there. Post a screenshot of the FokkerDVIII folder in your #DOF, and the contents of it.

If my quick fix doesn't work, delete your log.lst (yes delete it) and rerun the game, and fly a flight with the Fokker D.VIII. Then post the log after you close the game. The contents of the log should shed some light on your problem.

EHood

• Supporter
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2015, 03:23:02 PM »

Here's my #DOF folder with dirtbloxx's FokkerDVIII folder installed by extraction (and underlined):

Here are the contents of the FokkerDVIII folder, with the progression of steps leading to those contents underlined:

I did clear the logfile and set up another QMB test mission, but those huge, silvery fan blades are still there.

vpmedia! - Thanks, it's good to hear from you. I'll see if dirtbloxx's fix works before I attempt to install any aircraft. As I'm sure you know, the D.VIII was installed with one of the CUP DOF modules (can't recall which). The propeller problem is frustrating; otherwise, the aircraft works and flies well.
A ya tsi-tsalagi.

FL2070

• Modder
  • FAC #87
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2015, 07:02:55 PM »

Post your logfile after a flight in the D.VIII

FL2070

• Modder
  • FAC #87
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2015, 06:12:12 PM »

Try: https://www.mediafire.com/download/gw0dd8vpqs750p5/FokkerDVIII.rar

I made sure the tga was 32bit, and changed the AlphaTestVal to 0.5 in the mat.

If this doesn't work, I can't do anything else.

EHood

• Supporter
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2015, 01:53:55 PM »

dirtbloxx!

Sorry about the slow response. Had a very busy weekend. And so this morning, after I got a batch of "real" work done, I installed the second version of the fix you kindly provided. Check this out!!

Woo Hoo!

Many, many thanks.  ;D

Now, if I can just get the mirror on the tropical Spitfire unblocked....
A ya tsi-tsalagi.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.078 seconds with 29 queries.