Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 45 46 47 [48] 49 50   Go Down

Author Topic: msh Binary format  (Read 105590 times)

Stainless

• Modder
Re: msh Binary format
« Reply #564 on: April 01, 2016, 02:28:10 AM »

This is the structure of a blenheim.

Seems to be working, I've also started populating the data fields

SAS~Storebror

• Editor
  • Taking a timeout
    • STFU
« Reply #565 on: April 01, 2016, 03:00:11 AM »

Let me dare to ask :D
The thread title tells it: Originally there was a plan to create a tool that can write meshes in the game's internal binary file format.
Is this still on the agenda?

Best regards - Mike
Don't split your mentality without thinking twice.

Stainless

• Modder
« Reply #566 on: April 01, 2016, 06:34:45 AM »

I never wanted to write binary mode meshes, I just wanted to be able to read them.

The binary mode has a block of data that doesn't seem to be used. A big block in the middle of the file which I don't use at all, it's just weird.

Since I can read and display the meshes without it, I cannot work out what it is for.

However if I write a binary file without it, the game doesn't load it.

So pretty stuffed.

Stainless

• Modder
« Reply #567 on: April 05, 2016, 02:28:26 AM »

This is the structure of a BF109e

I have added code to accept a double click. Double clicking on a node gives you a display like this.

I'm currently extending the amount of data displayed in this display. At the moment you have LOD's and collision meshes.

I guess I'm going to end up allowing you to double click on the nodes in this display as well...... sigh  the work just never stops coming.

western0221

• Modder
  • Live in Japan
    • IL-2 itaki blog
« Reply #568 on: April 05, 2016, 03:05:43 AM »

Hi Stainless.

In using your tool as FBX converter, I newly find another bug around UV mapping.

UV mapping's U and V values are basically set between 0.0 ~ 1.0 , but that is not a rule.
To make a tiling like a wood deck , steel deck , or a handrail with saving texture size and GPU load , under 0.0 minus values and over 1.0 values are often used.
Today's your tool seems to force moving those UV coordinate into 0.0 ~ 1.0 area, that working lacks author's plan of tiling.
Is it able to change FBX exporting behavier of UV values into keeping original as-is --- not to move ?

Stainless

• Modder
« Reply #569 on: April 06, 2016, 02:28:41 AM »

I will have a look at it, I seem to remember that caused problems though.

Anyway

This is the structure of the Me323..... big beast... really big.

It's thrown up another issue.  It seems some people haven't stuck to the naming conventions for collision meshes.  Normally I expect collision meshes to start with 'x'.  This one is named the same as the host mesh and causes a problem in my code as I use the name as the hash for the connection map.

Is this a common issue?

Stainless

• Modder
« Reply #570 on: April 08, 2016, 02:43:05 AM »

Hit a point in the code where I need feedback.

I've got to the point where I want to add animations to the display, to do that I need to know if any animations exist.

At the moment the animation support is not very good. You can parse a java file and with a bit of effort get it working in the mod tool, but it's not trivial.

I'm thinking of writing a good java tokeniser. This will read in the java source code and convert it to a tokenised stream that is very easy to parse.

That will be enough to display what animations exist.

If we want to be able to add animations, then I have to do more work.

My questions is .... do you want me to create a system that allows you to drag and drop elements and output java source code?

To give you an idea of how it would work. You kick off the editor and it displays an empty screen with just a root node of the aircraft name.

You drag on any dependencies. In java this would be extends

Then you drag on the interfaces. These are the ones that in java would be the implements statements

At this point the display will be filled with blocks for all the methods you need to implement as defined by the above interfaces.

Double clicking on any of these blocks will allow you to populate the methods. I'm still thinking about the best way to do that.

The you just hit save and you have a java source code file.

I know I can do it, but I'm not sure I should do it.

I'm worried that the code generated would not be optimal and would ignore commonality from other classes.

Mike what do you think?

western0221

• Modder
  • Live in Japan
    • IL-2 itaki blog
« Reply #571 on: April 14, 2016, 01:56:29 PM »

Hi.

One more bug report about UV mapping in converting msh into FBX, read its FBX in 3dsMax.

Main mesh (LOD0) 's UV mapping is almost OK.
Today's problem is about LODs (LOD1/2/3/4) and its UV mapping coordinate.
LODs' V values seem to be inverted plus/minus.

I've used your tool conveniently in converting msh models into FBX to remodel them not few times .... maybe over 20x models.
But almost of their original data don't have meaningful LODs mesh, I want to add their LODs mesh by myself and that is just my main purpose to use your tool as a FBX converter. So, I've never faced LODs' UV bug until today.
I'm not so hurry.
My request is only memorizing it when you will have enough time to update your tool.

Stainless

• Modder
« Reply #572 on: April 15, 2016, 02:35:04 AM »

Thanks man, will look at it as soon as I can free my circuits from the java problems rattling around there.

SAS~Ghost129er

• SAS Team
  • SAS Certified Lurk
« Reply #573 on: February 11, 2017, 08:41:03 AM »

This topic seems to have died, however, I do wish to ask something. With all this talk about Binary meshes, is it possible to have the binary reader able to export binary files? Dr Jones tool /reads/ binary files but can't save to binary files, which is a slight problem for something I'm about to develop to aid 3d modders..
Current activity: Giving his E46 330ci some TLC.

Stainless

• Modder
« Reply #574 on: February 13, 2017, 02:05:52 AM »

The problem with the binary format is that it is full of data that isn't used.

I can read the binary files, the bits I can read fully describe the mesh. Everything you see in a text msh is in the binary msh.

Yet I am only using about 75% of the data in the binary msh.

I did try creating a binary file from a text file, and even though my code read it perfectly, the game didn't.

So at the moment creating new binary files is a major problem.

Unca-Fester

• Graduate of the Dirk Gently School of mucking about.
  • Modder
« Reply #575 on: December 27, 2017, 10:11:52 PM »

Sorry for the zombie thread resurrection, but I make aircraft for FlightGear.

Did I read a several pages back that this tool imports .ac meshes?   Because I have a bunch of oddball and old pre WWI and WWI aircraft that I have in FlightGear that I've been thinking seriously of importing into IL2.

There's a few questions, I suppose is that once I get the ILModder running,  since FG uses .ac's with all their parts fully aligned,  getting the axis' and various damage mass centers set up for converting to a IL2 usable file would be trivial because of the way FG uses .xml files for animations and FDM's.  Also cutting up the model and moving the parts to center can be recorded in AC3D as prealignment XYZ measurements.  Does this program allow you to text editing in these measurements for the final model's reconstruction in IL2?   Even if I can't establish damage models and animation the fact that this does import and export should make getting my aircraft to someone adept at damage and animation easier.

I'm really quite new to IL2  but I'd like to thank Stainless for his generous work on this
Pages: 1 ... 45 46 47 [48] 49 50   Go Up

Page created in 0.071 seconds with 29 queries.