Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MultiRC MOD  (Read 4013 times)

benitomuso

• SAS Team
  • P.A.L.
MultiRC MOD
« on: January 04, 2013, 06:00:55 AM »

Dear All,
                     recently, regarding the SAS MODAct4, working with it over HSFX6, etc., many recurrent problems regarding editing of .rc files have been generated. Besides that, it is highly probable that in the future some SFS MODs start to appear. So I thought about a general solution to all of these requirements.

Here I'm presenting the MultiRC MOD. The idea is to sub-divide the loading (mounting) of SFSs in 3 stages:

1- .rc (Traditional one, intended to leave the clean one of your current game version (4.101 or 4.111)
   2- PACK.rc (First Specific sequence of SFSs, mainly intended to put together all the ones required by the Main MODding pack you use: DBW, HSFX6, ModActivator4 + HSFX6...)
   3- MODs.rc (Second Specific sequence of SFSs, intended to mount specific contents for individual MODs, etc.)

In this way once you have it stable, the .rc and PACK.rc will be rarely or never edited. The MODs.rc would be the one regularly modified.

As an addition you will realize that now, when game loads, it gives some guide information of the stage where the loader is.

In the download you will find a folder called Example, which has 3 samples of the files to load SAS MODAct 4 + HSFX6 in PACK.rc and JetWar SFSs in MODs.rc

I think that it will be self explanatory and clear for everybody with previous knowledge of .rc files.

It is very important to pay attention to this comment in the original .rc (in this case a v4.111) at the end:

Code: [Select]
#preload REGISTER
#By PAL, *** Very important to comment this if you use Multiple Files ***
#By PAL, *** you should call @file .preload in the last .rc (MODs.rc typically) ***
#@file .preload

I think that it would be clear. You should call @file .preload only after having loaded all the corresponding SFSs. So in this case I do that call in MODs.rc and I commented the original call in the main .rc

Once you have your proper .rcs you can copy them directly to this MOD folder, to keep everything together (at least I do that).

Regards,
                             Pablo

agracier

• Modder
    • The Great War in a Different Light
Re: MultiRC MOD
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2013, 07:59:52 AM »

I think I understand the intent, though my knowledge of the rc file is very rudimentary. It determines which sfs files are loaded when the game loads. Right?

If that is so, then it would be useful to set up your own specific sfs loading lists, which might help with overcoming java limitations perhaps?

But if so, isn't this contingent on knowing which sfs files contain what planes, maps, mods etc? If you don't know what an sfs file contains, how do you go about setting up a personal loading sequence?

benitomuso

• SAS Team
  • P.A.L.
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2013, 10:34:30 AM »

Agracier,
                  the MOD prepares the field for something that I consider (at least I have started doing so) for MODs in SFS format. This is obviously useful considering that 3do typical contents (the heavy part of any MOD) get reduced in size at least in a 60%.

As you said, the .rc determines which SFS files are mounted (the files are actually only loaded when the game requires them). This mount is only kind of a catalogue of available files, that later will point to the proper streams (data) in the corresponding SFS file.

If you use very basically MODded 4.09, 4.10 or 4.11 games, then only the stock SFSs are loaded. But DBW, SAS-ModAct, UP3, HSFX5 and HSFX6 packs have extra contents (3d Models, Effects, Sounds, Skins...) packed in SFS files, so editing of the original .rc (the stock list) is required to allow those contents to be available.

The idea of this MOD is to make independent (in 3 levels) the list of files to mount. It gives you the chance to have Multiple-Packs coexisting in the same installation directory (sharing Missions, Skins and other heavy files that you will require only once). But I insist: the main benefit of this will be seen when different MODs in SFS format were issued.

Regarding this:

which might help with overcoming java limitations perhaps?

No, sadly it will not help on overcoming Java limitations. That is only a problem of the quantity of classes loaded (and their respective size), but not of the non-Java contents (what really lies in the SFSs).

Regards,
                             Pablo

I think I understand the intent, though my knowledge of the rc file is very rudimentary. It determines which sfs files are loaded when the game loads. Right?

If that is so, then it would be useful to set up your own specific sfs loading lists, which might help with overcoming java limitations perhaps?

But if so, isn't this contingent on knowing which sfs files contain what planes, maps, mods etc? If you don't know what an sfs file contains, how do you go about setting up a personal loading sequence?

agracier

• Modder
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2013, 10:39:57 AM »

the MOD prepares the field for something that I consider (at least I have started doing so) for MODs in SFS format. This is obviously useful considering that 3do typical contents (the heavy part of any MOD) get reduced in size at least in a 60%.

That would be useful indeed, packaging mods into sfs format. But if I'm not mistaken, isn't sfs zipping or packing still not available for most of us? Only a few of the initiated have the necessary sfs packing tools, and they are not meant for distribution.

SAS~Gerax

• SAS Team
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2013, 10:43:23 AM »

Pablo, whats about MOds which needs lines in the upper part of a rc file.

Like Carsmaster time-of-day mod.

Here you have to add this lines into the rc:
   @load com.maddox.il2.game.cmd.CmdTODD NAME tod \
     HELP tod [<hour.min>]

and then the mods classfiles(s) into whatever mod folder.

i7-13700K, MSI RTX4090, Kingston 64GB, Asus Z790-P, Crucial SSD 1TB, Kingston SSD 4TB;

benitomuso

• SAS Team
  • P.A.L.
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2013, 10:55:29 AM »

That would be useful indeed, packaging mods into sfs format. But if I'm not mistaken, isn't sfs zipping or packing still not available for most of us? Only a few of the initiated have the necessary sfs packing tools, and they are not meant for distribution.

That is only partially correct.

Since a long time ago we are using diverse .SFS files that are not stock ones. Some people of other groups have had tools for it, a member of the SAS team developed an equivalent tool, the world of programming generates permanent innovations...

Consider this just a feeling.

benitomuso

• SAS Team
  • P.A.L.
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2013, 10:57:48 AM »

Pablo, whats about MOds which needs lines in the upper part of a rc file.

Like Carsmaster time-of-day mod.

Here you have to add this lines into the rc:
   @load com.maddox.il2.game.cmd.CmdTODD NAME tod \
     HELP tod [<hour.min>]

and then the mods classfiles(s) into whatever mod folder.

Good question Gerax. I haven't tried. But I would try setting all in the MODs.rc. I think it should work.

SAS~Gerax

• SAS Team
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2013, 11:17:57 AM »

I will try it to see wich benefits it brings to me,
but I alreday have a kind of multi rc enviroment.
(Yes, we know, my solitary multiStart-4stage Junctions thing  :P :D ).

Not your new solution, but:

I made me several rc files with different settings
and have them in my several multistart mods STD folders as hardlinks.
(hardlinks are like normal links, but can be read/executed by the game).

So I have a rc file with Clays 190er and use this in DBW-ETO, -Channel,
but not DBW-PTO. And so on.
i7-13700K, MSI RTX4090, Kingston 64GB, Asus Z790-P, Crucial SSD 1TB, Kingston SSD 4TB;

Spinnetti

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2013, 05:54:13 PM »

sounds like an excellent space and time saver, and be able to have one install, with several versions of the game... Good thinking!

WindWpn

• Modder
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2013, 07:04:05 AM »

Just added all my dbw, up, hsfx, etc... sfs archives to my main 4.11 install.  Many gigs of data, but will try this solution to see how it works for that kind of "ala carte" jsgme pack install. 

Interesting concept especially for loading things like missing UP objects in HSFX stock for maps like KTO.  Or simply trying new combinations across all the packs such as the DBW map set in 4.11?!

~S~
wind

ANDYTOTHED

• Modder
  • angle computing gunsights
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2013, 06:26:17 PM »

I know I'm an idiot but what exactly do I do with this? Do I just delete the normal .rc and replace it with one of the ones for example "pack.rc"? Or do I just add the lines to the rc with preload. I really don't understand.

agracier

• Modder
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2013, 01:52:44 AM »

I know I'm an idiot but what exactly do I do with this? Do I just delete the normal .rc and replace it with one of the ones for example "pack.rc"? Or do I just add the lines to the rc with preload. I really don't understand.

If you don't understand what to do, but are still curious, it's always a good idea to make a new copy of Il-2 somewhere else on your machine, give it a good and clear name so that you will know it is a copy and then try out this mod or any other mod you are not sure about, on the copy. That way, you will not mess up your working install. If the mod works to your satisfaction, then you will know how to implement it in your working install. If it doesn't, or you don't like it, then nothing is lost.

You needn't re-install the game to get a working copy of Il-2. Just copy/paste the whole directory - all the dozens of gigs of it - and you'll be good to go.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.076 seconds with 24 queries.