Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Making narrow (2 pixel) irregular rivers  (Read 1426 times)

mandrill

• Modder
Making narrow (2 pixel) irregular rivers
« on: December 20, 2012, 04:24:23 PM »

I stumbled on this technique by accident in my Ukraine map. I wanted to draw rivers that were narrower than 3 pixels wide and which still looked nice.

First I drew the river onto the map with a 2-pixel RGB0 pencil. (I use an ancient PSP7 graphics program). I then blurred the rivers with Gaussian blur.

Problem: The resulting line was often in the region of RGB90-130 and I was afraid that the river would not appear as continuous in the FMB.

So I went over the blurred dark grey line with a series of 2 pixel wide RGB0 dots. The dots were continuous. I occasionally deliberately put dots a little off-centre of the blurred line. So I got a line of dots linked to each other sitting on a slightly wider, blurry grey line. I then blurred the dots into the line with more Gaussian blur.

I liked what I ended up with. My new rivers were far less regular and straight-sided and far narrower than my old rivers. But it was a lot of work.

kevinp

• Modder
Re: Making narrow (2 pixel) irregular rivers
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2012, 05:17:28 PM »

Hi there
Can we see a picture of your rivers?

mandrill

• Modder
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2012, 05:45:26 PM »

This is an example:

Vitamine!

• Flying Ass Clown #6
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2012, 05:23:02 AM »

I use (with GIMP 2.8 ) often a 2-pixel RGB0 pencil for smaller rivers for example for the Obra/Obry river and it works. But I have to make a trick: By drawing rivers with 2 pixel pencil, I have to draw slowly with giving slight jolts to the left and right.

Here an impression:

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.087 seconds with 30 queries.