Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Berlin WIP  (Read 25472 times)

ben_wh

Re: Berlin WIP
« Reply #36 on: November 27, 2012, 12:46:56 AM »

This raises the interesting question of what time frame would this map reflect ... 1939 Berlin would be noticeably different from a 1944-45 Berlin. 

Regarding map performance:  I remember that the Channel UK map was a bit heavy in performance when freshly released due to airfield texture size - although the visual effect was excellent.  The city block objects however were very efficient in performance, making it surprisingly smooth to fly over a well-populated London, for example.  I can see that this may make the new Berlin map a smoother flying experience than the stock one actually.

Also found all the pictures and videos of Berlin posted so far very interesting.  Here is one more:

Berlin Summer 1945:
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=99c_1265544312

Joe - Thanks again for working on this map and it is great to see you back in IL-2 modding.  Can't imagine this can be easy given the time it takes for a great map and real life commitments.

Cheers,   

PO_MAK_249RIP

• CMON U SPURS!
« Reply #37 on: November 27, 2012, 12:57:12 AM »

This looks great Canon - cant w8 to fly over Peenemunde. However I suspect my old rig will do it at a crawl :-(
Corsair Carbide case, Intel core i5 4690 3.5ghz with Arctic Cooler, Asus Rock H97 performance, MSI Ventus XS OC 1660GTX 6GB DDR6, 32GB Patriot Viper 1600Mhz, 256GB/500GB Crucial SSDs, Windows 10 64bit.

GilB57

• Modder
    • Trucs & Bidules
« Reply #38 on: November 27, 2012, 05:31:32 AM »

do you think with all these objects on the map that it will cause problems/lagging like the current Berlin map
If you want to test Canon-UK's ability about that, just fly over London on Channel final map   ;D
(I'm confident about it)

Will you perhaps add parts of the city (or cities) with lots of craters and destroyed housing rubble?
You always have the destruction tool in FMB, no ?  ;)

Blumax

« Reply #39 on: November 27, 2012, 06:33:55 AM »

Feel free to kick me if you think i'm out of order here but i'm a guy who likes to take a map that's been already made and re-texture and re-populate it, i believe that map makers can be put into two catagories, those that like to create a map from scratch using SRTM data and those that like to then take those maps and spend hours upon hours tweaking and improving them either for personal pleasure and use as a hobby like myself or to release to the public to be shared. Whilst many suggestions and offers of help are always welcome along with encouragement most of us ' builders/ populaters ' have already looked at the map that we want work on in great detail, worked out where we want to take that map and formulated a work a plan, usually if not always we have already started and proceeded quite some way with our maps and don't anounce them on the forums until we have something to bring to the table, at this stage the maps will already be very advanced, most experienced map makers will have already learned the sorry lesson of announcing a map project before it is begun only two find the workload to much and have to disapoint you all!

So i say.....wait and see what you get and give encouragement to the version that is being worked on and is already at an advanced stage of development...as GilB57 rightly points out we have the destruction tool in FMB and a fleet of B-17's to finish the job should you want it in ruins.  ;) 

Ectoflyer

« Reply #40 on: November 27, 2012, 08:08:13 AM »

...as GilB57 rightly points out we have the destruction tool in FMB...

true, just the two only recognizable monuments of the old Berlin map, the Reichstag and the Brandeburg gate, are not destructible, at least im my DBW 1.7.1
And in the old map the dead models of other buildings are very simplistic. I really hoped that someone could instead use the much more detailed dead models of TOW.

Good work anyway, I'm sure it will be a highly enjoyable map ! (like the others!) :)

Blumax

« Reply #41 on: November 27, 2012, 08:38:58 AM »

OK then here is my offer but it is up to Cannonuk and for him alone to decide, Max_thehitman has offered to create a ground texture of Berlin with bomb craters etc to represent a heavily bombed area, if Cannon agrees to this then i will offer to populate the city of Berlin in ruins to sit on that texture as an additional 2nd version to the map that's already being created.

canonuk

• Canons Skins - textures for Il-2
« Reply #42 on: November 27, 2012, 01:03:48 PM »

Hello all,

So, to address the various points:

Framerates
The city areas will actually have (as pointed out by various people) rather good frame rates - because I make new objects that are large blocks of buildings, a large dense appearance can be achieved without many objects. So, despite the fact that the city looks really dense, it isn't actually that many objects. I anticipate final frame rates will still be really good.

Timeframe
I am aiming the map to be a WW2 map, but the default building status will be intact. The city ground texture will be tweaked to be a little less tidy and green, but I think that using the Destruction brush is the way to go. Remember you can destroy the entire city in a few clicks.  The new blocks I've made have their own destruction models. Whilst they aren't as detailed as the ones from TOW, remember I'm aiming to have a huge populated city with great framerates. Replacing the buildings with objects that are more numerous and more resource-demanding will be counter-productive. The default Reichstag and Brandenburg gate objects (that have no damage model) aren't going to be used - they're the wrong scale. I'm going to be making new custom Berlin landmarks/buildings.

Joe

pilotpimpf

« Reply #43 on: November 27, 2012, 02:02:00 PM »

Oh boy this really sounds promising, looking forward to seeing and flying this map.
Thanks Joe for taking this map mod on.

Helen-of-Sparta

« Reply #44 on: November 27, 2012, 05:42:45 PM »

Wow Joe my name is Eleni and i do like him you map at England and i not can wait to see him you map at Berlin for sure it will be wonderful, is hard work no?  ;) also i do like to make to retexture and populate him maps.

canonuk

• Canons Skins - textures for Il-2
« Reply #45 on: December 12, 2012, 05:36:23 PM »

Hello,

In case you were wondering what's happening with this, I've been busy making new objects for Berlin Tempelhof airport - lots of new buildings and hangars. Pics soon!

Ass Eagle

« Reply #46 on: December 12, 2012, 05:43:07 PM »

Brilliant screenies, and another map I am eagerly waiting for! :)

agracier

• Modder
    • The Great War in a Different Light
« Reply #47 on: December 13, 2012, 01:31:58 PM »

Very nice screenshot of urban Berlin ... it looks to be good with something different in the way of buildings. Berlin was after all a more or less modern city with what were then hi-rise buildings ... and those kind of buildings are hard to find in the Il-2 objects world ...

Looking forward to this map ...
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Up

Page created in 0.071 seconds with 26 queries.