Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: DBW and RAM settings in Selector  (Read 2978 times)

agracier

• Modder
    • The Great War in a Different Light
DBW and RAM settings in Selector
« on: November 12, 2012, 04:59:45 AM »

I've been able to upgrade my system and it now takes 8 gig of RAM ... when starting the DBW selector the ram usage gives a warning once I set it above 1200 mb (more or less) and seems to completely go into red if I set it at the maximum amount of 2048 ...

Now that I have 8 gig of ram, is it possible to use more than the indicated safe amount of 1200 mb? I know to try it out, but conceptually I don't know how the game is set up. Can it make use of 8 gig of ram? Or is it limited?

JG54Spookie

• Modder
Re: DBW and RAM settings in Selector
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2012, 07:49:39 PM »

I believe it's limited, but don't quote me on that. ;)
There are several threads about the RAM selection, but it's been a little while since I last read them. I'd say try searching for them here, if you haven't already.

I was in pretty much the same boat as you. After I setup my new rig last spring, I used the selector for the first time, and set to 2GB. The damn launcher refused to launch the game! So, I tried lower settings until it would actually let me run Il-2, but I had crashes and other issues until I turned it down to 1GB. Since then, I now have to run it at 800 something MB because a certain mod causes further issues.

To be honest, I don't notice any change from when I was running it at 1GB, but the whole ordeal has been frustrating. On my old PC, I was running an older version of SAS ModAct and a 1GB replacement il2fb.exe, and everything worked fine. Since installing Il-2 on my new PC, I've had one headache after another moving my mods over and using this newer modact with its selector program. I miss the simplicity of a single exe that ran smoothly. I've been thinking about surrendering and trying DBW in the hopes that things will run more smoothly...

agracier

• Modder
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2012, 01:15:03 AM »

Well, DBW does run very smoothly and without headaches at all - though it does have a java wall just like all the other versions of the game. And if you install too many mods (of any kind) it seems to affect the frs. For instance, DBW1916 flies very smooth and pleasantly, no stuttering, no hesitations when flying around.

In DBW normal though, I have so many new planes and mods, that there is a slight stuttering and noticeable hesitations every now and then in flight - say when bombs explode on the ground, a plane crashes, things like that.

I put in a new vid card - GeForce670 and now have 8 ram.  It helps make things smoother, but still. There is lots of room for improvement I'd think.

JG54Spookie

• Modder
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2012, 01:54:31 PM »

I see. With regards to the performance decrease when lots of mods are installed, does that mean you reach that threshold 'sooner' with DBW? What I mean is, since DBW has a lot of mods in compressed SFS format, are you automatically that much closer to the point of having 'too many', or is it only the the number of uncompressed mods that matters? I'm planning on having DBW in a separate install, so I'm eager to do some comparisons.

agracier

• Modder
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2012, 02:03:08 PM »

Well, I am a mods geek. I have so many installed it's a bit exaggerated I admit.

I've got 218 mod folders, with 20.5 gigs worth. Though the maps take up the most space. Other than maps, I have 7.5 gigs of mods.

I've already some 50 or more mod planes that I've had to disable and there are a whole bunch of planes - jets - that I don't even install at all. It would be just too much.

But for all that, in DBW you don't reach the threshold sooner. Just the opposite. You can install more than with UP2, since so many mods are included in DBW sfs files ...

I think this is more of a reflection of the amazing productiveness of all the modders here who just keep making more and more mod to use.

marcost

• Modder
  • Keep calm and run away
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2012, 02:13:40 PM »

Hi Agracier

Just checking you remember this thread (maybe you re-installed IL2 on your new system since then and didn't do this mod)

https://www.sas1946.com/main/index.php/topic,2476.0.html

It made a difference for me - 8mb ram and 660ti, improvement in smoothness

Regards,

martin

max_thehitman

• SAS~Area51
  • Modder
  • Beer...Girls...IL2+Mods!
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2012, 02:14:10 PM »

I have installed in my new computer 16 gig of RAM , but I still fly the IL-2 with
the "reccomended" 512 MB of memory on the Selector.
I have no problems with maximum settings and full turbos turned on. I also use the 2048 skin-Mod turned on in case I use those skins and I still have no problems. Although I try to not install too
many mods into my game, because teh DBW/UP/DBW-1916 already comes with hundreds of them.
So, I just keep installing and uninstalling new airplanes as I see fit for my game.

I donĀ“t think I will be needing any more RAM for another year or 2  8)

( I am hoping this will last until the year 2020, then I upgrade to 32 RAM)
Everything I like is either illegal, immoral or fattening ! Welcome to SAS1946

Ass Eagle

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2012, 02:15:02 PM »

26.9 GB (28,938,010,624 bytes) on 82,080 Files, 6,235 Folders is what my IL2 game is. 6.34 GB on 39,754 Files, 4,283 Folders just with DBW. You can have xxxxx number of gigs of ram & video memory but the game engine has its limits. Stutters and fps drops are the norm with IL2. I mean, who here flys over Berlin and dosn't take a big FPS hit, no matter what system. I mean on my mid-range rig, I play modern warfare, fallout, rise of flight, bad company, etc., on full boogie all out maxed graphics, and very rare do I get a FPS drop. BUT when I play 'N64 Golden Eye -007' on my emulator, I get some big FPS drop with smoke effects.. just like the real N64. Its all about the game engine. Seems CLoD uses the same lol.

But if I'm wrong, please whats the secret to fly over Berlin stutter free? :)

Anyways for selector, I use 2048mb settings. Never a problem. REMEMBER though, this game is based on 32bit, so it will never reconize anything over 2GB of ram anyway. But my 64bit Windows7 does ;)

agracier

• Modder
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2012, 02:18:43 PM »

Just checking you remember this thread (maybe you re-installed IL2 on your new system since then and didn't do this mod)
https://www.sas1946.com/main/index.php/topic,2476.0.html
It made a difference for me - 8mb ram and 660ti, improvement in smoothness

Hmmm .... I thought this mod was a standard part of DBW?

I do indeed remember installing it on UP and especially on map maker UP and making a gigantic difference.

marcost

• Modder
  • Keep calm and run away
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2012, 02:27:20 PM »

you might be right, maybe I fell for the placebo effect  :D

JG54Spookie

• Modder
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2012, 06:59:33 PM »

Wow, I probably don't need to worry too much about reaching the 'threshold' anytime soon (you've had way more stuff installed than I have, Agracier)! :P

I'm glad to hear, though, that mods compressed in SFS don't count toward the 'threshold'. Now I just need to find the time to make this second install. *sigh*

marcost

• Modder
  • Keep calm and run away
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2012, 10:53:37 AM »

Well worth it Spookie, DBW rocks  :)
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.07 seconds with 26 queries.