Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Horsa glider  (Read 8037 times)

DDcrash

Horsa glider
« on: October 06, 2012, 08:45:48 AM »

Hello, the DangerDogz have a fun mission based on the Pegasus Bridge assault. At present we use the flyable G11 but would be grateful for a Horsa or Hamilcar glider. Any chance of doing one anybody?

Kilo

• Modder
  • Hold my beer!
    • Sqn. 71 fighter-bombing Silver Wings
Re: Horsa and Hamilcar gliders
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2012, 09:27:29 AM »

Fortune favours the bold; disaster even more so

kaxII

• Modder
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2012, 09:37:51 AM »

And don't forget that a request requires, info, pics and blueprints.

DDcrash

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2012, 09:39:03 AM »

Thanks for that. I will do some research :)

asheshouse

• SAS Team
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2012, 10:31:52 AM »

I would certainly like to see these. Here are a few details to help things along.

DDcrash

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2012, 10:59:51 AM »

I think that a Horsa would be useful both as a static object and for a different type of mission. Plus it would be useful for mission builders
Link to pilots notes including cockpit details
www.keepitsoaring.com/LKSC/Downloads/Horsa_Glider_Notes.pdf
The Horsa Mark I had a wingspan of 88 feet (27 m) and a length of 67 feet (20 m), and when fully loaded weighed 15,250

pounds (6,920 kg).[17]

The Horsa was considered sturdy and very manoeuvrable for a glider. Its design was based on a high-wing cantilever

monoplane with wooden wings and a wooden semi-monocoque fuselage. The fuselage was built in three sections bolted together,

the front section held the pilot's compartment and main freight loading door, the middle section was accommodation for

troops or freight, the rear section supported the tail unit. It had a fixed tricycle landing gear and it was one of the

first gliders equipped with a tricycle undercarriage for take off. On operational flights the main gear could be jettisoned

and landing was then made on the castoring nose wheel and a sprung skid under the fuselage.[18]

The wing carried large "barn door" flaps which, when lowered, made a steep, high rate-of-descent landing possible —

allowing the pilots to land in constricted spaces. The pilot's compartment had two side-by-side seats and dual controls.

Aft of the pilot's compartment was the freight loading door on the port side. The hinged door could also be used as a

loading ramp. The main compartment could accommodate 15 troops on benches along the sides with another access door on the

starboard side. The fuselage joint at the rear end of the main section could be broken on landing to assist in rapid

unloading of troops and equipment. Supply containers could also be fitted under the centre-section of the wing, three on

each side. The later AS 58 Horsa II had a hinged nose section, reinforced floor and double nose wheels to support the extra

weight of vehicles. The tow cable was attached to the nose wheel strut, rather than the dual wing points of the Horsa I

Specifications (AS 51)

Data from British Warplanes of World War II

General characteristics

Crew: 2
    Capacity: 25 troops (20-25 troops were the "standard" load)
    Length: 67 ft 0 in (20.43 m)
    Wingspan: 88 ft 0 in (26.83 m)
    Height: 19 ft 6 in (5.95 m)
    Wing area: 1,104 ft² (102.6 m²)
    Empty weight: 8,370 lb (3,804 kg)
    Loaded weight: 15,500 lb (7,045 kg)

Performance

Maximum speed: 150 mph on tow; 100 mph gliding (242 km/h / 160 km/h)
    Wing loading: 14.0 lb/ft² (68.7 kg/m²)

crazyeddie

• Modder
Re: Horsa glider
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2012, 01:22:37 PM »

Somebody was doing this, and it was quite far along when he dropped off the radar. His last post was about a year ago.  Can't find the link now but I am having connection problem at present, I live in the middle of nowhere !!!

asheshouse

• SAS Team
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2012, 02:45:17 AM »

Somebody was doing this, and it was quite far along when he dropped off the radar.

My recollection was that it was a part complete, unmapped, 3D model -- so not very far along.
I'd be happy to be proved wrong.

Pursuivant

« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2012, 09:41:38 AM »

My recollection was that it was a part complete, unmapped, 3D model -- so not very far along.
I'd be happy to be proved wrong.

There are lots of projects like that. Select for eager fan with minimal 3d skills, working on their own. They're just good enough to put together a 3d model, but lose interest when they realize that the L0 3d model is just the tip of the iceberg and the rest of the project is way beyond their skills.

I've done it myself, but I at least had the good sense not to post screenshots.

It just increases my admiration for people who can create mods for the game.

Phoenix9491

« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2013, 01:18:42 PM »

Any progress on this? Would love to have some sky trains pulling these!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.078 seconds with 24 queries.