Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Spitfire Mk.IV  (Read 17629 times)

Texx

Re: Spitfire Mk.IV
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2012, 05:50:37 PM »

Nice Riken...and I thought I had seen everything about Spits!

Does it loose performance in dogfights due to the extra weight?

SAS~Riken

• "Area 51"
  • SAS Team
  • Where's Waldo? Who's Waldo?
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2012, 08:31:46 PM »

Does it loose performance in dogfights due to the extra weight?
cant really say on that. I use the closest FM I could without overpowering it too much. The early spit Vb was the choice to use until a proper one can be mustered up.

Spitfire Mk.IV was actually an unarmed reconnaissance variant.

But an interesting what-if nevertheless.
You are correct to say that, but this was one of the same armed variants as well. Just one was tested and didnt make it in the family.

DonKastre

« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2012, 05:30:05 AM »

Spitfire Mk.IV was actually an unarmed reconnaissance variant.

But an interesting what-if nevertheless.

There was indeed an unarmed Spitfire PR MkIV, this was an unarmed photo recon variant of the Spitfire Mk I.  The actual Mk numbers of the spitfire was rather confusing in the earlier Marks as the photo recon variants were numbered separately to the fighter variants.  I believe it was only with the PR Mk's X, XI and XIII that the photo recon variants were brought into the general Mk numbering of Spitfires.  As for the F Mk IV, that was indeed a prototype for the griffon engined spitfires.  It was later renumbered Mk XX (to avoid confusion with the PR Mk IV).  It later became the prototype for the F Mk XII.

See:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supermarine_Spitfire_%28early_Merlin_powered_variants%29

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supermarine_Spitfire_%28Griffon_powered_variants%29

I hope this helps.

Don

LuseKofte

« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2012, 05:08:47 AM »

I read a lot about pilots and theyre plane. Many many things are written about the spitfire, But it is very hard to get a pilot beyond the tale of what a wonderful plane it was.
The best description I manage to find was from FFA Pilots flying noumerous airplanes inclusive Corsair. These pilots say something interesting about The Seafire.
It was the fastest climber of them all but the worst gunplatform and landingperformance of them all . I guess the lightness and nimble aircraft is niot that good weaponplatform.
And why the English Navy was not that afraid of taking the corsair into service despite its bad landing accident reputation

David603

« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2012, 09:59:00 AM »

Nice plane  :D  6 cannon are just crazy  :D :D

But shouldn't this have a griffon engine? The MkIV was the prototype griffon Spitfire, and is based on a MkIII airframe so it has a retractable tailwheel too, which you can see in the picture of the real thing...

SAS~Riken

• "Area 51"
  • SAS Team
  • Where's Waldo? Who's Waldo?
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2012, 06:33:41 PM »

Looking at the history of it though, the griffin wasnt really used until the mk8s. It might have been in this testing phase on this plane, but I cant reproduce the FM for this plane as there isnt enough data needed to complete this task. Therefore, I had decided to use the closest FM I could to match this, which was a merlin engine, which was widly used at this timeframe as well. There really wasnt much info I could find on this plane and proformance.

As for the wheel, I'll get that fixed up. You are correct on that. I did forget that. My bad :D

ANDYTOTHED

• Modder
  • angle computing gunsights
« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2012, 02:59:10 PM »

It only just occured to me that this was here. Time to chew up some Dorniers!

SAS~GJE52

• Editor
  • Orchard Studios
« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2012, 06:44:29 AM »

And why the English Navy was not that afraid of taking the corsair into service despite its bad landing accident reputation

Hmmmm. English Navy    ::) ....... you mean the one and only Royal Navy dear boy   ;)

G;
Do not criticise a man until you have walked a mile in his shoes...  Then you can call him what you like, as you have his shoes ... and he is a mile away......

.50calBMG

• Landing just means stop flying, right?
« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2012, 10:51:45 AM »

so glad this got finished, now if only i could get my computer to accept mods... :'(

Alban

« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2012, 11:46:56 AM »

I read a lot about pilots and theyre plane. Many many things are written about the spitfire, But it is very hard to get a pilot beyond the tale of what a wonderful plane it was.
The best description I manage to find was from FFA Pilots flying noumerous airplanes inclusive Corsair. These pilots say something interesting about The Seafire.
It was the fastest climber of them all but the worst gunplatform and landingperformance of them all . I guess the lightness and nimble aircraft is niot that good weaponplatform.
Hi, the reason for the inclusion of the Cosrair in the FAA was more that the Hellcat's production were being absorbed by the USN. But the Brit's manged to work out how to land the Corsair, with a curved aproach and an educated guese for the final bit after it had been rejected by the USN for carrier operations. That long nose restricted landing visability badly.  It was kind of a furtuitive Hobson's Choice for the Royal Navy.
Surprised though about the comments about the Spit at a gun-platform, it was always a good plane to shoot from and the Corsair, had decided exentricities in it's handling. A good pilots plane that took a lot of controling, but when masterd these could be harnesed and was exelent, but not a plane for the inexperinced.
Right about the Spit's landing gear, under carriage colapse was common on airfeild, never mind carriers.

Alban

.50calBMG

• Landing just means stop flying, right?
« Reply #22 on: October 13, 2014, 09:30:38 PM »

works in 4.12.2 modact 5.3

eddyt

• Skinner
  • IL-2 1946 patch v5.00 B.A.T 4.2
« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2020, 11:06:31 AM »

The Mk.IV was DP845, but later in the war, DP845 was formed into a Mk.XII which is more or less the Mk.IV minus the mock-up cannons and round wing tips. Therefore, the mod should use a Mk.XII as the base with round standard wingtips, the large bulges on the wings and the mock up cannons.

Side Note: The skin you have used on the Mk.IV has a Griffon Spit Layout, not a Merlin.

This Is DP845 As A Mk.XII Prototype

This Is DP845 as a Mk.IV With Mock-up cannons (For The Mk.XII Version, all you need to do is add the new Mk.IV skin which can applied to the Mk.XII)
"The gratitude of every home in our Island, in our Empire, and indeed throughout the world, except in the abodes of the guilty, goes out to the British airmen who, undaunted by odds, unwearied in their constant challenge and mortal danger, are turning the tide of the World War by their prowess and by their devotion. Never in the field of human conflict was so much owed by so many to so few." - Winston Churchill
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.098 seconds with 25 queries.