Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19   Go Down

Author Topic: "Sangre y Oro" Il2-SCW - Update 1/6/2012  (Read 83077 times)

SAS~Poltava

• Avid FMB user
  • SAS Honourable Member
  • Help Ukraine fight
    • Check out my modded campaigns
Re: "Sangre y Oro" Il2-SCW - Update 1/6/2012
« Reply #168 on: June 21, 2012, 11:46:18 PM »

Good to see all you guys pooling your skills here  :)
You want to give financial support to a front line Ukraine unit fighting the Russian invaders? Paypal kyivragnarock@gmail.com

David Prosser

« Reply #169 on: June 22, 2012, 03:57:34 AM »

[DJP]  Thanks for that info about the farms. It looks like Mission Bug is re doing the map. By comparison my efforts will look like your cat started the map, and your dog finished it. I'll wait for his. There is no rush. No point in duplicating work.

cheers

David

Mission_bug

• Modder
« Reply #170 on: June 22, 2012, 01:00:05 PM »

Hello all, I've now re-named the airfield as requested, at least I think it's the right one, and also put Polenca on the map as well.

Besides the name changes I've also adjusted some bits of the coastline that had huge holes in them.

I've now added seaplane take off and landing slots to Ibiza and Menorca.

Ibiza has them added in the port.

Here is the map builder view of the taxy ways.

I cannot find any information on where the republicans operated their floatplanes on Menorca so I built
something along the coast from Mahon.

The water course that links Mahon with the sea is just not developed enough to do it there.

David, I can add detail using a mission file so no problem with your detail of Mahon if you send me a link to your mission. ;)

As long as the detail doesn't cover anything that Agracier added there is no problem.  It can get messy trying to merge things.

Bye the way, I'm not re-doing the map, mearly adding the seaplane bases and correcting a few problems.

The map I'm making the changes to is V1.1 Here:

https://www.sas1946.com/main/index.php/topic,4955.0.html

I've searched the sfs files in DBW but can't find it, it's got to be there somewhere, so I'm not sure if the DBW version has been updated.

Not sure if I should give the map folder a new name and load entry, or just let folks add the files to there existing map if they have a folder outside the sfs files.  If they are currently using the existing map it could cause problems with any existing missions if the detail in them covers my new seaplane slots.

Wishing you all the very best, Pete. ;D

SAS~Poltava

• Avid FMB user
  • SAS Honourable Member
  • Help Ukraine fight
« Reply #171 on: June 22, 2012, 02:12:53 PM »

Well, I've been to Menorca a couple of times and it looks the part!  :)
You want to give financial support to a front line Ukraine unit fighting the Russian invaders? Paypal kyivragnarock@gmail.com

juanmalapuente

« Reply #172 on: June 22, 2012, 04:50:39 PM »

You're doing a really great job. Thanks a lot. I'll post just a few pics since you say you couldn't find much info about Mahon's port:

Mahon's Naval Base in 1927

And nowadays. You can see It hasn't changed much, except for the trees size.

Mahon's port nowadays

The pantalan of Naval base nowadays

A detail of Naval base

A submarine in the base in 1940

The port of Mahon in the 50s

Well this is a view of Pollença, that will be possible when Champi's Arado-95 will be ready. :)

Also the port of Ciutadella was used by floatplanes,

And this is the port of Ibiza in the 40s

I hope they are of some use.

And this last one is for David's campaign: the landing of Bayo's militias in Majorca. They departed from Mahon's naval base too with a good part of the Republican fleet and civil boats (good chance to use those fishermen boats!)
Republican fleet used Naval base at Mahon as operational center while prosecuting the Nationalist Canarias too.

Thanks to all.

Mission_bug

• Modder
« Reply #173 on: June 22, 2012, 06:24:47 PM »

Hello juanmalapuente, thank you very much for the photos, I was able to locate Mahon on Google no problem, what I couldn't find was whether the Republican seaplanes actually had a base along the waterway/river that leads up to Mahon itself, nothing gave me any exact location, be it descriptive or photographic.  It may be I don't actually know just what to ask Google, I tried all sorts of obvious things but ended up in blind alleys.  On Agracier's map that river course really doesn't lend itself to any kind of water operations, for it to do so would mean work on the map_c to widen it, beyond the scope of what I had intended to do which was essentially to add Polenca to the map as it was the main seaplane anchorage of the islands.  So I opted to place a seaplane base along the coast just down from Mahon, probably not quite authentic but at least it gives mission builders a base of operations for Republican seaplane sorties. ;)  Also with Ibiza I couldn't seem to find anything to actually tie seaplane operations into the port or island itself, so as seaplanes can operate from any water course I merely added the facility to use them in the port, it seemed the most logical.  It maybe that there was a specific location either within the port or somewhere along the coast specifically built for military operations, but without something to go on it was more important to add some capacity for seaplane use to Ibiza port whether or not it was actually used or not.

Hopefully that will not detract from the fact that the map can now actually be used for seaplane ops from each island.  If exact information becomes available, as is the case with Pollenca, then the map will be ammended accordingly.

I'm looking forward to actually seeing one of Champi's gorgeous creations in sim, personal preferance is for the Hs-126, but the Arado or any of the other seaplanes would be marvellous.

juanmalapuente

« Reply #174 on: June 22, 2012, 07:11:33 PM »

Sorry if I looked like I wanted to give you extra work. You've done more than enough. I don't want you to make further modifications to Agracier's map.
Even though, I tried to take off and land in Mahon' s river with Cant-501 as an aproximation to Dornier Wal, the heaviest used by Republicans, and It's quite easy, if It's not crowded with boats.

Despite there's no picture, to my recollection, of  floatplanes departing from the port of Mahon (many of them departing from Barcelona to bomb Palma), I understand from the descriptions in my books that they used the Naval Base.
Here's were it's still nowadays, in left side of the river (Northern shore).

Anyway, as I said, you did already a lot so this can be good for any mission by now. Thanks again.

David Prosser

« Reply #175 on: June 22, 2012, 11:50:48 PM »

Hi, Mission_bug. My alterations to the map include the port of Mahon. Not the Naval base though. I used Google Earth for that part. The whole thing will probably look like your cat started it, went to sleep, and let the dog finish it. The buildings are generic 'Mediterranean'. Players should not expect to find their apartment, or the pension they stayed in last year. I put the Pollenca sea plane base in entirely the wrong place. Pollenca has a port though. Yours is in the right one. Your idea for the Republican SPB near Mahon is a good one. Several of the towns have no buildings. I put a lighthouse on a hill near Mahon. I thought it was a good place for one. I did not add the coastal batteries.  The stuff you've added looks great. If you want to use any of the stuff I added, PM me, and I'll send you a Mediafire link. I did d/l and briefly install, the map you linked to. It wouldn't load. So out it went. I guess it's the same one as in DBW 1.7 anyway. Renaming Alcuida was a good idea. I added a village near the base.

By the way, HSFX 6.0 is out. It has some new vehicles and ships, such as a sea Plane Tender. I'm downloading. In future I might make my campaigns dual. A DBW version, and an HSFX version. I'm downloading it now.

cheers

David

Mission_bug

• Modder
« Reply #176 on: June 23, 2012, 04:22:12 AM »

Hello guys, when I first looked at Mahon I just thought no way, however, spurred on by juanmalapuente's shot of the cant 501
taking to the air I gave it a go. ;)

I tried a few positions and had to adjust the surrounding landscape a bit but it is workable. 8)

Not sure yet how detailing around the edge of the water may effect things, we'll see when David's mission
file is added.  As he says it will definately not resemble the time you last visited there, but we are dealing with
seventy odd years ago so a little artistic licence is allowed.

The landing and take off can be done both ways and there are six parking places.

Not sure yet how the nearby airfield will effect things if there are aircraft being used from there.

All tests were carried out with AI and no armament so how behaviour will be affected with a bomb load has still to
be determined, but hey we're making progress eh. ;)

SAS~Poltava

• Avid FMB user
  • SAS Honourable Member
  • Help Ukraine fight
« Reply #177 on: June 23, 2012, 05:15:30 AM »

Yes, great job. This map is getting better and better!  :)

David Prosser

« Reply #178 on: June 23, 2012, 05:27:30 AM »

Hi,Poltava. Don't expect to find the pension, or hotel you stayed in. It probably hasn't been built yet. The place didn't take off until the late 60s. By the mid 70s, people from Coronation Street could vacation there. So the place obviously caters to a wide range of budgets. Almost got FAA Pacific good to go. Just need to add skins.

cheers

David.

SAS~Poltava

• Avid FMB user
  • SAS Honourable Member
  • Help Ukraine fight
Coming soon!
« Reply #179 on: June 23, 2012, 06:55:47 AM »

Coming soon, to a downloading site near your left mousebutton:

This is a 16-mission campaign, portraying the Battle for Madrid from October to November 1936.

I'm glad to say that it uses a number of DreamK's new aircraft. (Plus Giotto's SM.81 Pipistrello. And the great Central Spain map by RedEye_Jir.) You start out by piloting the fast and nimble Fury, but as there are not too many of these around (just two, as in real life) eventually you get transferred to Malraux's volunteer Escuadrilla España, where you get to use the gullwinged Loire 46. (And in one mission you fly the Potez 25, on a bombing mission high over the Sierras.) The campaign tries to follow the actual historical events on the ground.

Also the new Fiat CR.32 by Molva and Nachprod is included! (But the campaign can still be played if you only have the old franken CR.32.)

The campaign is being playtested right now. I hope to post it in a week or two.

Thanks for looking!  :)
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19   Go Up

Page created in 0.07 seconds with 28 queries.