Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Proper sizeing of towns in Il2 ?  (Read 2072 times)

Uzin

• Modder
  • On lifetime holidays
Proper sizeing of towns in Il2 ?
« on: February 12, 2012, 01:06:44 AM »

There seems to be aproblem with the size of towns in Il2 as compared to the size of buildings: if you make correctly the size of towns and streets,with respect of, e.g., river turns,  then buildings seem to be too small and the town too empty. I am not decided yet how to treat this discrepancy.
One of the solutions might be to make smaller towns , either neglecting the river turns, or downsizing them within the town area.
Other solution might be , to use historical photos of towns (whenever available) as the basis for phototextures (*.tga files), with true size, so masking to some extent the seeming emptiness of towns .
Meanings of experts would be appreciated.

SAS~Malone

• flying as #46 with the FAC
  • Editor
  • proud member of that 'other' site
Re: Proper sizeing of towns in Il2 ?
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2012, 01:31:50 AM »

well, i'm no expert, but it would seem that many of the house/building objects in the stock game are actually under-sized.
this thread illustrates it: https://www.sas1946.com/main/index.php/topic,21443.0.html
.....taking fun seriously since 1968.....  8)

Uzin

• Modder
  • On lifetime holidays
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2012, 01:42:16 AM »

well, i'm no expert, but it would seem that many of the house/building objects in the stock game are actually under-sized.
this thread illustrates it: https://www.sas1946.com/main/index.php/topic,21443.0.html
I agree with you, Malone, but what to do with the sizes of larger towns like. eg. Minsk, Moscow, et others, in order to obtain acceptable view, that is the question, I think . I know that Paris, Madrid and London are made well, but I have not this artistic talent as their authors.  >:(

agracier

• Modder
    • The Great War in a Different Light
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2012, 02:44:35 AM »

If you wish to have good looking cities, then the result will be a significant loss of frs due to the object density. I think that Il-2 is simply not designed to allow for even halfway decent looking cities that you can fly over, engage bombers over or dogfight over ...

Photo realistic textures are fine if you remain at medium or high altitudes, but at high altitudes texture tiling in general ruins the way the map looks anyway.

Cities are a hard nut to crack in the game. Better to simply make maps of areas that are devoid of urban areas altogether.

Uzin

• Modder
  • On lifetime holidays
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2012, 03:26:17 AM »

Cities are a hard nut to crack in the game. Better to simply make maps of areas that devoid of urban areas altogether.

These words should be carved into stone.
But once started, I should like to do my best even with these problems in mind.

agracier

• Modder
    • The Great War in a Different Light
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2012, 03:33:43 AM »

Ever since kapteeni and I did the Karelia map with Leningrad on it, we've both vowed never to do a large urban area again. That's why desert maps are so much fun to make, or maps of the lonely desolate sub-arctic regions ... villages and small regional towns can be wonderfully done in Il-2, but the larger the built-up areas become, the more suspension of disbelief is going to be necessary ...
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.074 seconds with 26 queries.