Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 ... 18   Go Down

Author Topic: DBW 1.71 Superpack Q & A Thread  (Read 75607 times)

s06020

Re: DBW 1.71 Superpack Q & A Thread
« Reply #84 on: April 04, 2012, 02:55:09 PM »

yes,but you need UP3RC4 to install DBW onto

There is a one stop download though here at SAS
takes you from the default game 4.07
patches it,installs UP3 and DBW all in one

The selector will allow you to choose which game you want to play
UP3 or DBW or SAS Modact,and even the default game if wanted

Second post of this thread is the one shot patch from defaut game to DBW 1.71>
https://www.sas1946.com/main/index.php/topic,21514.0.html

and yes,it comes with Jet War  :)

Cheers

Does it come with the latest IL2 1956 installed, or do you have to manually update that addon? Also, how big is that file? because I have a ridiculously small memory storage space. Last I checked, I had 661 Mb clear. I probably don't have that much now. I also have unmodded 4.101 version, so will this link work for that?

Dakpilot

« Reply #85 on: April 05, 2012, 02:55:57 AM »

I would not even try  "Last I checked, I had 661 Mb clear"
The download is many gigs, even with that amount of space you have now you  will not even have free room to defrag your HD you must have minimum of 10% free space at all times or you will run into problems.

An external drive can be found for not too much these days, ithink you must get one before proceeding

Cheers Dakpilot

s06020

« Reply #86 on: April 05, 2012, 11:59:47 AM »

Curses. I may end up having to attach one external hard-drive, but will the install still work if part of it's on a external hard-drive? Also, I've asked my dad for a ride out to Best Buy for an external hard-drive. And before anyone insults me for asking my dad for a ride to Best Buy, I'm 11, so cut me some slack if I seem like a total noob. Also, I have stock 4.101. I've been trying to install SAS Modact 3.06, with little sucsess. And all apologies given for be annoying, or just being a little iritating. Apologies for my spelling as well. Does the Uberpack ( as I'm calling it) work on the Disk version of IL2? Because I'm not seeing that refered to in the post. The reason I'm this worried about everything is because I don't want to ruin my IL2 game like I ruined my Minecraft every time I tried to mod it. Also, UP~Boomer, I HAD THAT VERY THREAD UP AS A TAB IN FIREFOX WHEN I READ YOUR POST!!! CUT ME SOME SLACK, OKAY!?

Update- SAS Modact 3.06 finished downloading. Never mind the question on the compatability of the Uberpack. I'll have to go to Best Buy tomorrow.

HundertzehnGustav

• Banned on Sep 11/2012
  • Arrogant Narcisistic Pussy
« Reply #87 on: April 05, 2012, 02:51:20 PM »

no it will not work partly on an external hard drive. need to move the entire game.

and no, you do not get cut some slack. your age is no excuse for nothing.
https://www.sas1946.com/main/index.php/topic,23602.0.html
and after throwing your age about, and telling people to back off and not insult you... even tho you are in infraction of the basic forum rules and nobody even bend you a hair...

you really need to grow up and come back when the time is right.
AND STOP SCREAMING OKAY!

"Uber"... if i understand that right, UBERpack is not a very nice nor accurate designation of that software package. might also work on your language a bit.

This game was around before you were even born... and the peeps here been playing it for that long. Me included.
Keep it coming, Grasshopper. You have a lot to learn, disciple.

s06020

« Reply #88 on: April 10, 2012, 05:36:26 PM »

Apparently my dad actually wants to go for cloud storage for the entire house, so I kind of need some advice on whether that will work.

HundertzehnGustav

• Banned on Sep 11/2012
« Reply #89 on: April 11, 2012, 12:58:54 AM »

cloud storage would only work if the entire game is downloaded each time from the cloud--> to the local HDD (every time some 5-7 GB) and then deleted after playing.
it could work, but.... not, not really what you are looking for.

SAS~Storebror

• Editor
  • Taking a timeout
    • STFU
« Reply #90 on: April 11, 2012, 06:05:49 AM »

Apparently my dad actually wants to go for cloud storage for the entire house, so I kind of need some advice on whether that will work.
Apparently either you got your dad wrong or he doesn't know what he's talking about.

Now... theoretically this ain't an issue to you.
As long as your clever daddy maps the cloud storage to a windows drive letter or folder, IL-2 simply doesn't care where the data is coming from. I for myself happen to run an IL-2 server locally from a linux samba share from time to time, just for testing purpose.
This would even work if the cloud storage is physically located in Calcutta, connected with a 14.4K modem to the internet.
It's just a matter of time.
You should however have your favourite drink at hands when launching IL-2 that way and, if that Calcutta line is yours, some food to survive the next winter.

Best regards - Mike
Don't split your mentality without thinking twice.

s06020

« Reply #91 on: April 13, 2012, 08:05:44 PM »

Thanks for the advice, Mike. However, we'll be wiring the file share/storage unit into the router/ethernet switch that we currently use, which is connected directly to the computer that I run IL2 on by a (theoretically) 100 MB/s ethernet cable. So, how slowly will IL2 run with that setup, and what do you recommend for a low cost option for a file share/storage unit?

HundertzehnGustav

• Banned on Sep 11/2012
« Reply #92 on: April 13, 2012, 08:21:17 PM »

hold on... running a server is not running the game?
i am a bit confused here...
every time a mission loads, the relevant data is written from the HDD (now cloud) to the RAM... therefor needs to be transferred.

why 100mb/s? the wiring that old? not Category 6 cabling available?

SAS~Storebror

• Editor
  • Taking a timeout
    • STFU
« Reply #93 on: April 14, 2012, 01:04:04 AM »

we'll be wiring the file share/storage unit into the router/ethernet switch that we currently use, which is connected directly to the computer that I run IL2 on by a (theoretically) 100 MB/s ethernet cable. So, how slowly will IL2 run with that setup, and what do you recommend for a low cost option for a file share/storage unit?
You can expect IL-2 to run on a 100 MBit line quite like when running it on an old Pentium 4 rig with IDE harddisk drives attached, which means that heavily modded games like UP 2.01 will take something like 10 minutes to come up, whereas other game versions with content being stored in sfs files (UP3, DBW) won't show such a big impact, they might take something like 2 or 3 minutes to start.
Mission startup time will be significantly longer than on a local machine. Expect a mission which takes 10 seconds to load on your local PC to take two minutes on that ethernet install.

110G is right when pointing out that a 1GB ethernet line serves better. That way you nearly won't see any noticeable performance difference anymore.

Low cost / budget recommendation?
Well...
The cheapest way would be to purchase a router which is able to attach local storage via USB.
I've got a Netgear WNR3500L running with OpenWrt (TomatoUSB) linux OS on a test system here. The router took me 60 bucks, I can attach any USB drive to it and get something like half of the 1GB/s performance from that configuration.
One step ahead you'd want to buy some dedicated NAS system with a 1 GB line (I don't think there are 100MBit systems out there anymore at all).
Such a system with 2x2TB raid disks is available from less than 300 bucks onwards.

hold on... running a server is not running the game?
Running a server is not running the 3D part of the game.

every time a mission loads, the relevant data is written from the HDD (now cloud) to the RAM... therefor needs to be transferred.
Yep. What's the deal? The HDD is not the only bottleneck in this situation. With a 1GB line you won't see any (noticeable) difference.

why 100mb/s? the wiring that old? not Category 6 cabling available?
Why Cat6 for 1GB/s? Cat5 will do.

Best regards - Mike
Don't split your mentality without thinking twice.

s06020

« Reply #94 on: April 14, 2012, 10:49:41 AM »

That 100MB/s cable happens to be what dad has already hooked up to this old IBM Thinkpad. I'm not sure if this old bucket bucket of bolts will even accept Cat5 cabling. And Mike, I need some thing that you can find in a store, not something that you order online. And by the way, the cable we're currently planning to use is 100 Megabyte/s cable, so there aught to be 100MB/s systems out there.

HundertzehnGustav

• Banned on Sep 11/2012
« Reply #95 on: April 14, 2012, 01:51:56 PM »

cat5 will do... if the cabling is perfect... fingers crossed.
lol i have no means to test that here but launching a 3D game off a cloud storage should be fun... gigs swapped back and forth at max speed... hope the router or switch can keep up.

a simple external HDD wouldve been enough... (me, the offliner network noob and hater)

keep us posted how things go

for the storage... dont go with iomega...  over here, this week 4 passed through my hands, showing different symptoms (not booting at all, not shutting down+unable to reset, network card fubar) all i was able to do was checkb the prblem and pass the storage unit to the constructor, not allowed to swap parts or do anything really.

Viva la cloud.... my azz.
Viva my raid 10!

whatever, just mumbling...
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 ... 18   Go Up

Page created in 0.107 seconds with 27 queries.