Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Anisotropic filtering  (Read 5355 times)

greybeard

• Modder
  • diligo veritatem
    • Old stuff about RB3D and a tiny "IL2 corner"
Anisotropic filtering
« on: November 16, 2011, 03:02:31 AM »

I see that an anisotropic filtering is internal to IL-2, set, together with its extensions on Video Tab of its Setup utility.

So I wonder: does this mean that adding a further AF by vidcard control panel is useless? Or does it sum its effects to IL-2 internal one? Or may them even conflict each other?

Thank you for any enlightening,
GB

admin edit: moved, not suited for request section...please read posting guidelines to avoid posting in the wrong section, thanks.
CPU: AMD Athlon 64 - RAM: 2GB DDR @ 201 MHz - MoBo: ASUSTeK Computer INC. A8N-SLI (Socket 939) - Vidcard: 1024MB NVIDIA GeForce 9400 GT (Club3D) - Screen: L1750SQ (1280x1024@75Hz) - Audio: Realtek AC'97 Audio.

X-Raptor

Re: Anisotropic filtering
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2011, 05:53:41 AM »

It sums (at lest 4 me in ATI Card + ATT) so you have little more definited landscape in far distance e.g. x2 AF setting in CCC panel but you have some little studders (images micro-stops) of terrain during flying. Obviously it depend also from the power of your card, your card drivers version, and CPU power.

santobr

• Modder
  • Senta a Pua!
    • F
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2011, 07:03:39 AM »

If you choose "Controlled by Aplication", this will keep the the settings from IL-2.
If you choose "2x", "4x" and so on, the settings from the video drivers will override the settings from IL-2.

santobr.

PA_Willy

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2011, 09:15:09 AM »

If you choose "Controlled by Aplication", this will keep the the settings from IL-2.
If you choose "2x", "4x" and so on, the settings from the video drivers will override the settings from IL-2.

santobr.

No exactly. If anisotropic filtering remains chosen in game, game engine will use its own AF. And, moreover, graphic driver will set up its AF values too.

Normally, you will read that it's better to change game configuration through game settings (acomodated to game engine capabilities) that through driver, when possible. For example, game settings don't have got any antialiasing possibility. You only will be able to set up AA values through driver control panel (overriding). But, with AF you can use the game setting for it.

Whiskey_Sierra_972

• Modder
  • In memory of my beloved hero: Saburo SAKAI!
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2011, 02:47:29 PM »

Hi mates!

Only to understand better: I should use GPU settings or I should let IL2 settings to have better image quality and don't waste GPU resources?

Thanks in advance!

walter

PA_Willy

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2011, 03:09:37 PM »

Ideally, the best option is using the game settings. But, there aren't all settings (for example antialiasing filter). In that case, you need to go through driver control panel to get AA.

AF applied by game should be more efficient because was built by engine game creator. You don't know what GPU cost is got setting up AF twice, one in game settings and other one, in driver settings. Maybe none. You should to choose your way to go.   

santobr

• Modder
  • Senta a Pua!
    • F
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2011, 07:21:17 PM »

Not sure, but IMHO there is no way to apply two AF at the same time, because this filter is rendered by hardware, not by software.
That's why I think the driver software will override the aplication.
In conf.ini:
TexMipFilter=...
0=Bilinear (fastest)
1=Trilinear (Improves quality with little sacrifice in speed)
2=anisotrophic (Best quality but slower)
http://www.mission4today.com/index.php?name=Knowledge_Base&op=show&kid=27

I think, not sure again, the option "2" is just like anisotrophic "2x" in driver software, but we can force it up to 16x only by driver software.

santobr.

Paulo Hirth

• MOD is Life!
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2011, 08:59:28 PM »

I notice anisotropic drop FPS, i use OFF, i sugest a antialisyng in 8X, more improvement.

greybeard

• Modder
  • diligo veritatem
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2011, 04:15:49 AM »

Thanks to all people that answered.

In fact, it looks either you set AF only from game (which is recommended even by vidcard manufacturer), or try to add vidcard setting for tiny improvement (at cost of further drop in FPS).

Meanwhile, I tested on my old system (NVidia 9400 GT - AMD Athlon 64 2GHz - 2GB DDR RAM) setting "bilinear" (I would have set "none" if available) on IL-2 Video Setup and maximizing video options in NVidia Control Panel (AA=16Q - AF=16x). Well, I got an AWESOME increase in both quality and performance!

I think the AF management by this old program is no more suited for more modern vidcards and on the contrary, it kills literally framerate.

Cheers,
GB
CPU: AMD Athlon 64 - RAM: 2GB DDR @ 201 MHz - MoBo: ASUSTeK Computer INC. A8N-SLI (Socket 939) - Vidcard: 1024MB NVIDIA GeForce 9400 GT (Club3D) - Screen: L1750SQ (1280x1024@75Hz) - Audio: Realtek AC'97 Audio.

hguderian

• Modder
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2011, 04:56:46 AM »

You can set AF to None:
0=none
1=bilinear
2=trilinear
3=anisotropic

Cheers

PA_Willy

« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2011, 08:25:11 AM »

Not sure, but IMHO there is no way to apply two AF at the same time, because this filter is rendered by hardware, not by software.

Of course, AF is rendered by hardware. But, the way to do it depends on the game DLL,s and game engine. When you add AF from driver, this try to render in a common or universal way (independently from game engine, API, etc).

greybeard

• Modder
  • diligo veritatem
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2011, 09:53:15 AM »

You can set AF to None:
0=none
1=bilinear
2=trilinear
3=anisotropic

Thank you!

GB
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.07 seconds with 26 queries.