Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What about Stereoscopic 3D?  (Read 2027 times)

benitomuso

• SAS Team
  • P.A.L.
What about Stereoscopic 3D?
« on: November 01, 2011, 12:00:04 PM »

Recently I have started to make my first experiences with stereoscopic anaglyph for movies I'm filming and briefly I started to be concerned about what we are lossing in Il-2 by not having real 3D, and it really is a whole new world.

Who of you have been using any stereoscopic 3D variant? What configurations do you use? I have an ATI card and the indirect solutions available for it are basically impossible to play. With nVIDIA the things are better aren't they?

But it really is a new world. Use some red / cyan googles to see the next.

Cockpits become a wonder when you are flying from inside them:

You can estimate the distance of the incoming planes, somehting that is so relevant...

Our new Black lady looks wondeful in 3D:

The big problem is that everything must be done through DirectX in the current methods, but the game never worked OK with it. But what I really can't understand is why if you even in DirectX have 60fps rate if you use a software solution like iZ3D it drops to 2fps. I could accept a relationship of 1:2 to say somehting, but not 2:60. Composing every frame cannot take 30 times more.

Worried about this, I have started to think about the chance of generating from inside the game an anaglyph image. I think that it's possible. Have any of you programmed OpenGL in depth as to help me with some theories I would like to test?

Regards,
                      Pablo

benitomuso

• SAS Team
  • P.A.L.
Re: What about Stereoscopic 3D?
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2011, 05:00:38 PM »

I have started my first experiments trying to generate anaglyph from internal in the game.

Please if anybody has experience with OpenGL contact me, I'm using it by very first time.

Thanks,
                    Pablo

Paulo Hirth

• MOD is Life!
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2011, 11:39:36 PM »

Very interesting ideia benitomuso! I hope you find a expert, will be a new life to the game! Good luck!

Pursuivant

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2011, 12:39:09 AM »

A few years back there was another method of producing 3d effects which I though was pretty cool.

I'm surprised that it never took off since it doesn't require 3d glasses or special stereoscopic video work.

Youtube video here:

SAS~GJE52

• Editor
  • Orchard Studios
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2011, 06:39:33 PM »

Where does a chap purchase these tinted optical enhancers ?
Do not criticise a man until you have walked a mile in his shoes...  Then you can call him what you like, as you have his shoes ... and he is a mile away......

Blumax

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2011, 06:44:28 PM »

I got the 3d set up from edimensional some time ago and set it up for IL-2 in direct x and it worked up to a point, that is i had to have a flat un-populated map with no clouds, effects etc and still it jumped around like a kangeroo on acid, plus there were lines across the screen so not much use really......however i did get a corsair flying in the air between me and the screen even if it was frozen and a glimpse at what 3d would bring to the game, it was awsome and i believe it would be well worth trying for this......best of luck i hope you can do it!

regards Blumax

Pursuivant

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2011, 06:22:58 PM »

Where does a chap purchase these tinted optical enhancers ?

Some places hand out free (or cheap) paper 3D glasses.
Other than that, just about any computer/electronic media store will sell them. Cost is less than $10 for cheaper versions.

SAS~Malone

• flying as #46 with the FAC
  • Editor
  • proud member of that 'other' site
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2011, 02:35:34 AM »

...and the mod is now in place, please give it a go, and let us know what you think: https://www.sas1946.com/main/index.php/topic,19449.msg209864.html#new  :D
.....taking fun seriously since 1968.....  8)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.092 seconds with 27 queries.