Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Picked up Wings of Prey Yesterday  (Read 1617 times)

Jiver67

• Modder
Picked up Wings of Prey Yesterday
« on: October 16, 2011, 12:53:49 PM »

I was at Fry's yesterday to look for a particular case fan for my computer (which they didn't have in stock) when I spotted a solitary copy of Wings of Prey on the shelf. I had read several reviews which were not very favorable, yet curiosity got the better of me and so I decided to buy it. With the exception of the lousy automated update procedure and the large number of big updates, I am pleasantly suprised. When the game is configured in simulation mode and flown from within the cockpit (as any good sim should be) it is not all that bad. The graphics (both cockpit and external) are outstanding! The terrain detail looks very photorealistic and the visual effects are well done, although they tend to be a little too cinematic for my taste. With the exception of the Briggs and Stratton sounding engines and the wimpy Browning .50 cal machineguns, overall the sound effects are quite good. Flight models seem reasonably challenging when run in simulation mode. When using Track IR the sensation of low-level flight is awesome....it really feels authentic! On the downside, you are limited to flying Allied planes only and there is no mission editor. Also, the missions feel a little "gamey" as compared to IL-2. For a console port this title is pretty decent. Just one more sim (uh, light sim) to add to my collection.

Knochenlutscher

• Flying Ass Clown #10
  • Modder
  • aka Segfej
Re: Picked up Wings of Prey Yesterday
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2011, 09:59:04 AM »

My copy of Wings Of Prey isn't limited to a particular side, I can fly 95% of the available studs.
Only a few I can't, need to buy. As you said, overall this Game's not that bad.
In Full sim Mode it's pretty fun.
What I don't understand why they keep telling me I don't need the Add-Ons, as it is already included
in a recent Patch I installed, when I still can't fly them?
This policy isn't well organized, they could just tell the truth, "Buy or Die!" instead giving vague comments where Users keep
scratching their heads.
Wiseman : "Did you speak the exact words?" Ash : "Look, maybe I didn't say every single little tiny syllable, no. But basically I said them, yeah."

Jiver67

• Modder
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2011, 12:35:36 PM »

Knochenlutscher,

On my installation (without the Luftwaffe update) the single player game is limited to flying Allied planes. However, in multiplayer mode I can fly either side. Are you saying you got the Luftwaffe update for free?

Yuplay is a total joke! If you blindly follow their update prompts you will end up downloading the entire game (~7 GB) again. Totally retarded! From the way I understand it, in order to play the Luftwaffe campaign you have to first purchase the Wings of the Luftwaffe update for $15. Just to further illustrate how badly designed the Yuplay interface is, when I clicked on the Luftwaffe campaign and attempted to start a mission, I received a message saying "Do you want to purchase Wings of the Luftwaffe for 45.00 yums?". What the fuck is a yum???   >:(

Once the game is patched up to the latest version (assuming you don't commit suicide in the process) it is pretty fun. It doesn't have the depth and granularity of IL-2 but serves as a good diversion if you are in the mood for a light sim.

SAS~Malone

• flying as #46 with the FAC
  • Editor
  • proud member of that 'other' site
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2011, 12:45:38 PM »

yum yum. :D
bop wop clod, doo wah diddy do
zippadee-doodah, bop wop clod!   8) 8)
.....taking fun seriously since 1968.....  8)

Jiver67

• Modder
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2011, 01:13:15 PM »

yum yum. :D
bop wop clod, doo wah diddy do
zippadee-doodah, bop wop clod!   8) 8)

Hah hah hah!

I'm trying to think of a word that rhymes with "yum" to express my hatred for the Yuplay interface.....
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.075 seconds with 25 queries.