Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Names of Maps in DBW  (Read 1356 times)

agracier

• Modder
    • The Great War in a Different Light
Names of Maps in DBW
« on: September 10, 2011, 03:26:41 AM »

I've been gone for a few months and now that I'm back, I've been heartily surprised and very grateful for all the work done. DBW is so stable and easy to install and use. I can only be in awe of all the effort put into setting this up.

I have been looking through the posts and topics here inside out, and there is one little thing that I just cannot figure out. This concerns the names of maps. They do not appear in the FMB as they are written in the all.ini.

For instance, Mixx_Zapolar, even though it is written as such in the all.ini, appears in the FMB as Norway North. Redko's maps also get different names as well as vkg_Crete which ends up as Crete or Creta ...

So I was wondering if there is any way in which it is possible to have the map names appear in the FMB in the same manner they are spelled in the all.ini file? Having the old familiar names is not only sort of comforting, but also makes it easier to know which map to choose.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

redfox

• Modder
Re: Names of Maps in DBW
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2011, 03:36:44 AM »

The file maps.properties and maps_ru.properties in STD/i18n folder controls the map names in FMB.

You can certainly alter the entries, what I haven't done is remove those files to see if the all.ini names appear.

Cheers - Redfox

redfox

• Modder
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2011, 03:40:19 AM »

Just disabled both the above mentioned files and the map names appear in FMB as named in the all.ini.

Cheers - Redfox

agracier

• Modder
    • The Great War in a Different Light
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2011, 01:42:49 AM »

Here's something else about map names that has me a bit mystified.

I like to have a nice clean and easily viewable all.ini so I began by editing the order of maps appearing, getting rid some of the very oldest maps and such. Also by editing the titles. For instance by changing '****E**** Net1Winter/load.ini' into something more recognizable like ****East_Front**** Net1Winter/load.ini ...

That way you get more easily recognizable geographical areas.

However, to clean it up even more, I then edited it into a plain and simple ****East_Front****  ... and did the same with all the following geographical areas as well. Maybe it doesn't serve much of purpose other than making things look clean and ordered.

However, by removing the last part, the part of a map name, the game no longer loads and crashes at 60%.

Now, it was easily fixed by just putting the names back as they were before. So no harm done. I need no help with that.

But, mainly out of curiosity, what purpose does it serve by having something like '****East_Front**** Net1Winter/load.ini' .... with the last part included? I don't understand why the removal should cause the game to crash ...

SAS~Malone

• flying as #46 with the FAC
  • Editor
  • proud member of that 'other' site
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2011, 01:52:12 AM »

hi mate
it's because of the way the ini file works, and what needs to be in the file for any entry to work.
the same is done with the air.ini file.
in order for the file to display any entry, even if it is just an area, it needs a complete load.ini entry.
it's basically a cheat; we are giving it an existing load.ini entry, but with a different display name, in this case *****East_Front*****
this is really done just to make our lives easier in navigating maps.
you should find if you select the area identifier(East Front), it will load a map as well in FMB, in this case the Net1Winter map.
so the ini part needs to be there for the game to display the *****East_Front***** identifier, etc.
.....taking fun seriously since 1968.....  8)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.062 seconds with 27 queries.