Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mosquito ground handling tailwheel bug??  (Read 1833 times)

stugumby

Mosquito ground handling tailwheel bug??
« on: August 05, 2011, 10:03:49 AM »

greetings, ive had fits trying to taxi and take off in mosquitos, in 410 no problems, in hsfx 5.1 it appears the tailwheel is set to full right turn and i have to apply lots of power and left rudder to try and go straight. Can someone else take a look at this? Im using solomons 1943 map qmb scramble as my test map. In every instance whether i lock tail wheel or not i get the wicked turn to the right. i have set both engines together after start up and both rev up equally as is usual. i noticed the tail wheel dosnt want to return to center even when locked with rudder set to neutral. This appears to be the problem, or perhaps engine mass is offset??

Bowie57

Re: Mosquito ground handling tailwheel bug??
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2011, 04:05:59 AM »

Same here. All versions except MkIV. Temporary solution for take-off: apply just enough power on the right engine to make the plane move to the left and then lock the tailwheel. Seen from external view the tailwheel will lock in a left-angle position and then straighten as you apply power to both engines.

Ventura

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2011, 12:08:31 PM »

I find that the best is the using the brakes while maneuvering on the ground. When your lined up, hold them hard till the Engines get up to speed and release to roll/takeoff.

stugumby

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2011, 10:15:41 PM »

yes but the whole problem lies in the tailwheel being cocked to full right no matter what I do. Ive tried braking and throttling up to straighten then lock etc, dosnt do it in 4101m just hsfx, alls good in up3rc4 as well. I tried using more power in right eng to make it go straight then lock as well. So for me im having a hard time with the mosquito on the ground.

Shawn BeBeau

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2011, 11:21:32 PM »

I was flying online using the Mosquito. We were having a hard time getting it off the ground due to these issues. Some of the pilots gave up sure that it is a bug. It requires deft use of braking, rudder and correction. It is possible and it is not a bug. Keep practicing. All planes are different. I did find pilot notes stating that the mossie did have substantial torque steer.
Good Luck

razor1uk

• Tamago no Chie
  • Modder
  • Naturally common sence is always ignored...
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2011, 03:58:15 AM »

Remember, when your aircraft spawns in campaign or online, your tailwheel is never straitght - its aways around the 2 o'Clock position, if once on the runway, you can set all throttles above 20%, the tailwheel will castor to 6o'Clock-ish.
  As you roll at same power, adjust rudder/trim to slightly truning into torque before tailwheel lock. before either stopping or smothly powering up - remember to have all throttles enabled or you'll be spinning around and at least combat flaps with a few flicks of down tail trim. With so little (ferrous) airframe weight to counter-act cranksharft gyroscopics and its power will make this a trickier bird to get used too.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.078 seconds with 26 queries.