Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 ... 12   Go Down

Author Topic: Clash of Eagles, Dedicated Mod DCG BoB Campaign for SAS Dark Blue World  (Read 43002 times)

tomoose

• Modder
  • Iiiiiiiit's ME! Hurrah!!
    • 71 "Eagle" Squadron
Re: Clash of Eagles, Dedicated Mod DCG BoB Campaign for SAS Dark Blue World
« Reply #72 on: March 05, 2012, 06:11:42 PM »

Can it be used with SAS MODACT without DBW?

lokitexas

« Reply #73 on: March 05, 2012, 09:57:27 PM »

Up and running now. But came into a few questions...

First, after I generated the first mission, I checked the options in DCG that I needed. I also made some changes to the squads, mission radius, skill levels, etc. I flew the first mission, hit apply, and now am about to start the second one.

So do I ever need to hit "generate mission" in DCG, or will it automatically update all the stuff I changed when I start the next mission?

Slink

• Cosmetic to some; to others a nightmare! - Merlin
« Reply #74 on: March 06, 2012, 02:00:19 AM »

tomoose, afraid not, at least not in it's current form without adding the required planes and maps. If you have all the components present in a ModAct install then it should work. Spitfires, Hurricanes, 109s, any objects, Canon's map with Gilb57s seasonal variations... and the download would be vast... but I'm looking more at 4.11 and DBW 1.8. However, the stock 4.7 to DBW 1.7.1 installation pack makes a DBW install easy, you just need some disk space and bandwidth..?

lokitexas; no you don't, works just like normal DGEN and will simply run automatically. You can still generate a mission manually if you need to for any reason (like after editing, changes apply to the next mission), but otherwise just click Apply and Fly... this should work for any DCG campaign as long as you have "Replace Career Generator" ticked in DCG.
Changed settings in DCG only affect the current campaign though, if you want to make them permanent (when you start a new campaign) you have to edit the campaign files themselves.

New: here's the little update: downloads in first post
Replaces DBX with Cant506 float plane as He115, needs a skin but works very well, this is excellent work from TD, and thanks to Epervier for the cut out.
Fixes the I/JG53 skin assignment
Updates London airfields with positioned objects (still have to do the European/Luftwaffe airfields...)
Updates UK AA sites to 4-gun emplacements, but need to find a dummy gun for the other three, one CY6 battery is enough!
Includes the previous update with new vector and removed Fire objects etc.

This is also a separate jsgme add on, enabling it will install, disable and you're back to the original, just in case something doesn't work (I'm not perfect either...) or you'd rather go back. To see all this you need a new campaign section generated, but you can still continue an existing campaign and the next will have the changes, depends how far along you are.

It's actually meant to run at Slow/Extremely Slow (under Time Passage in the Campaign Settings panel), i.e. 3 or 4 missions a day so you get the full time range from dawn to dusk and beyond... which may take as long to play as the real thing (4 missions each an hour long = an evenings playing time?) but you can also use Random for a bit of variety, some days more missions, some days less.

Also tried the Squadron Defaults settings for skill, does indeed appear to then use only the listed aces as aces (new in 3.47?), only those on the list and with five or more kills showing up instead of the previous randomly generated collection, certainly gives a better overview and we can then use the full DBW AI range with the new separate skill qualities. Need more aces/historicals on the list...

Any problems with this let me know asap, otherwise happy hunting chaps...

sa_475th_Chaney

« Reply #75 on: March 06, 2012, 04:55:36 AM »

Think I've looked a5t this thread like 800 times and still have no clue where the link to the beta is. hehe, would be nice to check it out. maybe my eyes deceive me.

sa_475th_Chaney

« Reply #76 on: March 06, 2012, 05:17:09 AM »

Up and running now. But came into a few questions...

First, after I generated the first mission, I checked the options in DCG that I needed. I also made some changes to the squads, mission radius, skill levels, etc. I flew the first mission, hit apply, and now am about to start the second one.

So do I ever need to hit "generate mission" in DCG, or will it automatically update all the stuff I changed when I start the next mission?

This where I'm completely lost. Slink in a prior post if you remeber, you stated that 3.46 will not work all completely with 1.7.1. Even other people have told me, 3rd party campaigns crash asnd you even said you had to fix some files with 1.71 so it did in fact work better with 3.46. All my 3rd party DCG games are not working anymore. I have to run stock DCG or i guess revert back to 1.6 which is a PITA or stick with what I got. So Lokitexas if there is something I don't know then please share. As of now my B-26 is jacked and my campaigns so lol. Man this is alot of reading lol.

Slink

« Reply #77 on: March 06, 2012, 05:59:37 AM »

Chaney, go to Paul's site, and in the chatbox on the right there's a "Show all posts" link at the bottom. Open this and the main window will show the full list of posts, scroll down till you find the one I quoted, which contains the link.

Lokitexas is referring to the CoE campaign (I think), which uses DBW 1.7.1 and DCG 3.47

DCG 3.46 will have problems with DBW 1.7.1 (using the old compat files for modded planes) due to changes in the plane & weapons lists.
Stock campaigns are probably OK, as almost all stock planes are still the same.

DCG 3.47 needs a new set of files for modded planes.
a: to increase the weapon loadout strings in payloads.dcg to 40 characters, otherwise it won't work.
b: to implement all the changed planes and weapon loadouts in DBW 1.7.1, otherwise there will be exploding spawns.

I put the CoE campaign up so you can use DBW1.7.1 and DCG 3.47 together (which is still in beta) if you want to try it out, otherwise hang on a bit till I finish the compat files for DBW 1.7.1, getting there.

lokitexas

« Reply #78 on: March 06, 2012, 08:16:33 AM »

Chaney, go to Paul's site, and in the chatbox on the right there's a "Show all posts" link at the bottom. Open this and the main window will show the full list of posts, scroll down till you find the one I quoted, which contains the link.

Lokitexas is referring to the CoE campaign (I think), which uses DBW 1.7.1 and DCG 3.47

DCG 3.46 will have problems with DBW 1.7.1 (using the old compat files for modded planes) due to changes in the plane & weapons lists.
Stock campaigns are probably OK, as almost all stock planes are still the same.

DCG 3.47 needs a new set of files for modded planes.
a: to increase the weapon loadout strings in payloads.dcg to 40 characters, otherwise it won't work.
b: to implement all the changed planes and weapon loadouts in DBW 1.7.1, otherwise there will be exploding spawns.

I put the CoE campaign up so you can use DBW1.7.1 and DCG 3.47 together (which is still in beta) if you want to try it out, otherwise hang on a bit till I finish the compat files for DBW 1.7.1, getting there.

Yes I am talking about CoE. I believe Chaney is talking about the actual CoE campaign DL which for me is not on the first page.

Chaney go to page 6, and look for a post from Bob, and in his quote you will find the 2 part DL for CoE. Thats how I DL'd it last night.

Aside from the extremely slow time compression, it runs great. I made the changes I needed such as changing my airfield to Abbeville, and my squad to JG26, and AI to average (I am not a good sim pilot), and now it seems everything is working great. The flight sizes are still small, even though I changed them in DCG, but I assume it will increase as time goes by. So far, everything is playing well, and I am amazed at everything!

Slink

« Reply #79 on: March 06, 2012, 09:56:18 AM »

Aha, then it's me that's getting confused, maybe 'cos this is the alpha and DCG is the beta... (the CoE beta comes with the big map, all squads, complete timetable, more aces, awards, sound packs, more skins in a separate package etc, this alpha is just to to check how it works and fill a gap...).

So maybe I should put all the links on the first page together, wasn't meant to be a real release, just a weekend filler for testing, but might make more sense.

Flight sizes are controlled individually in the timetable by squad, along with the replacement rate this controls when squads begin to appear in missions, such as Stukas should appear in strength on July 4th, JG51 has to hack it alone until the rest start coming back from refit etc, it's largely historical, if not complete in this alpha version, this one starts with low numbers and lets DCG build things up semi-randomly so there's always some variety.

Skill is also set in the timetable, so you start with experienced vets from Dunkirk and France, but quality will reduce as you go on on both sides, most replacements being green, some very green for the RAF, again historically. Overriding this in the DCG control panel should work though, but if you leave it as designed you should get a few experienced vets holding the fort and a bunch of greenies being fed in to fill the gaps. Gives plenty of opportunities for the Luftwaffe against RAF "Idiotenreihen", but they will also begin to struggle as their replacement rate was/is very low, the Luftwaffe being increasingly short of pilots and planes, more so than the RAF, although training was better, but leading Goering to issue instructions for the old hands to look after the newbies, so even in this limited alpha it's semi historical, if mostly "free DCG" for fun.

The Luftwaffe is also limited largely to the channel in the first campaign, but that changes later when they start moving further inland in the second and third, and to London in the fourth and fifth. Only has a fraction of the targets set currently, so this is mostly for just having a good fight. The RAF movements aren't in yet but will rotate historically, you may have to move them manually from up North if you're under pressure as the RAF, or the same if you're running out of targets as Luftwaffe, but DCG will handle it to some extent, though you can always push the panic button by reducing the action radius so the northern squadrons will be transferred to bases closer to the front, but watch out for overcrowded airfields if there are too many squads concentrated in the south or around Calais.

Slowdowns are the biggest problem, which cannot be DCG itself, as all it does is write missions, but if those missions (3rd party campaigns) are heavy loads then the game will let you know. Can be the map too, the Channel map is very heavy in memory, the big map is lightweight and runs faster, but depends on machine and config of course, and how many other things are running at the same time, mod-wise. You could always try it clean with nothing else running and compare, and some mods actually reduce the load, but it's still a heavy load in the first place.

So I'll put the links up in the first post...

Done, now back to the data... one day I'll actually get to play this...

Cycle

• Modder
« Reply #80 on: March 08, 2012, 12:48:05 PM »

Looks very impressive, Slink! I hope that I find time in the next few days to try it out!
Thanks for your work!
"Lenin sagte einmal, der ungebildete Mensch stehe außerhalb der Politik. Heute aber haben wir ein gebildetes Volk. Wie wir in den letzten Jahren handelten, bedeutete, es aus der Politik herauszuhalten. Das ist eine Mißachtung des Volkes. Das ist eine Art Elitedenken." Michail Gorbatschow

ol' Navy

« Reply #81 on: March 09, 2012, 09:28:08 AM »

This isn't directed at anyone in particular.  I'll take advice from any of you smart guys.  Slink gave me all sorts of good advice concerning the installation of his fine campaign.  So good, in fact, that even one as unsmart as me was able to get it to work.  So I sure don't want to overburden him.  Anyway - the campaign is good, loads fine, but Lordy, it really runs slow.  I am having "pauses" that almost would qualify as a "quit".   It has almost caused me to give up on it and consider it pretty much an exercise in futility.  Funny because I can run any other campaign or such which use Canon's map, at Perfect settings, with no slow downs at all.  Can any of you fellers maybe give me some pointers?  I assumed that my hardware was up to it, but maybe I am wrong.  Thanks for any help.

Slink

« Reply #82 on: March 09, 2012, 11:14:28 AM »

Bob, did you install the update? update: http://www.datafilehost.com/download-9ed9ca2d.html
This removes the multiple vectors (pause every 5 minutes) and Fire objects (increase view distance, but then slower), adds some stuff and fixes a couple of timetable glitches, but seems to help most people with frame rate problems.

Also check your density settings in DCG (3 of them, squads, columns, and stationary objects - this is now explained in the first post).

The high-res textures shouldn't be a problem for you (and this is actually according to TD specs), but try disabling them too, you never know.

Also check you don't have the instant logging mod installed, seems to slow things down too.
(due to lots of action? maybe why Oleg didn't do it in the first place? May be a variable though, have to try putting it in and out again).
Best is probably to try with any other mods removed and see if you still have the same problem, this after installing the update (new campaign needed).
Tried this myself and it's possible to get >150 fps looking up and >60 down (2560res; at 1600 windowed it's up to 250fps looking up), single plane over coast with high-res textures (on my rig of course), also with time acceleration at 2x. (So which mod is causing the problems?).

What is really weird is that most times it will run at high fps but will still occasionally be slow from the start, 7-8 fps on loading, which doesn't improve (not with all mods removed). If this happens it's probably best to end the mission and restart the game to reset the graphic drivers. It may also slow down if you play for very long periods (half the night), and remember that in the IL2 manual it does say not to pause for more than ten minutes or the game will slow down. There is a memory leak in openGL32 which was never fixed, which might explain problems with long missions using lots of objects, something that used to be put down to DCG (which as said, only generates missions...), where starting and stopping a track recording was meant to help, but this hasn't come up in ages.

Try these things and let me know how you get on, if something is unclear just ask.

ol' Navy

« Reply #83 on: March 09, 2012, 01:23:52 PM »

Bob, did you install the update? update: http://www.datafilehost.com/download-9ed9ca2d.html
This removes the multiple vectors (pause every 5 minutes) and Fire objects (increase view distance, but then slower), adds some stuff and fixes a couple of timetable glitches, but seems to help most people with frame rate problems.

Also check your density settings in DCG (3 of them, squads, columns, and stationary objects - this is now explained in the first post).

The high-res textures shouldn't be a problem for you (and this is actually according to TD specs), but try disabling them too, you never know.

Also check you don't have the instant logging mod installed, seems to slow things down too.
(due to lots of action? maybe why Oleg didn't do it in the first place? May be a variable though, have to try putting it in and out again).
Best is probably to try with any other mods removed and see if you still have the same problem, this after installing the update (new campaign needed).
Tried this myself and it's possible to get >150 fps looking up and >60 down, single plane over coast (on my rig of course), also with time acceleration at 2x.

What is really weird is that most times it will run at high fps but will still occasionally be slow from the start, 7-8 fps on loading, which doesn't improve. If this happens it's probably best to end the mission and restart the game to reset the graphic drivers. It may also slow down if you play for very long periods (half the night), and remember that in the IL2 manual it does say not to pause for more than ten minutes or the game will slow down. There is a memory leak in openGL32 which was never fixed, which might explain problems with long missions using lots of objects, something that used to be put down to DCG (which as said, only generates missions...), where starting and stopping a track recording was meant to help, but this hasn't come up in ages.

Try these things and let me know how you get on, if something is unclear just ask.

I didn't mean to bother you again with my problems, but thanks.  I'll try your update, and the other stuff.  I do have a question (but then, don't I always seem to?) - what is that "instant logging mod" you speak of?  And where is it found?  Is it supposed to be in the JSMGE folder?  I don't have a MODS folder anymore.  It seemed to have disappeared at some time or other.  I just have the DBW and DBW 1916 folders.  Now I feel bad that you had to stop what you were doing and answer an old guy's ravings.  Thank you.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 ... 12   Go Up

Page created in 0.082 seconds with 26 queries.