Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Redko/VPMedia map repaints not default?  (Read 1764 times)

Borsch

Redko/VPMedia map repaints not default?
« on: July 25, 2011, 02:34:04 PM »

Hello and many-many thanks for the amazing UP3 and DBW!

I have one question regarding the strategy of UP/SAS team with regard to maps repaints. On the one hand I see that Crimea map is repainted (by Mixx) as default in DBW1.3, but the UNBELIEVABLE Afrika by Redko is not repainted... Is this a problem in my install, or is it a policy? I like to play campaigns from Mission4today that were done for original Sands of Time etc, and really miss Redko's work.

On the subject of Mixx's Crimea- I personally think that VPMedia's eastern front's Mapmods ("_VP_MAPMODS_v3_2010") and building re-textures ("_VP_TEXTURES_Buildings_v2_2010") are more subtle and yet faar more atmospheric- there is less obvious texture repeating, less 300m long roads from nowhere to nowhere, less "acidic" green colours, less popping up random bushes. I do not mean any direspect ot Mixx- his Zapolare map is a masterpiece, but VPMedia eastern repaints and Redko's Afrika should surely be included instead?

What do you think?

HundertzehnGustav

• Banned on Sep 11/2012
  • Arrogant Narcisistic Pussy
Re: Redko/VPMedia map repaints not default?
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2011, 03:22:36 PM »

its DBW... thze map is there, the game is offline, and Textures are they not a matter of taste?
i do not know, but would it be hard to wap mix´s textures for VPmedia´s files, if you prefer those?

Borsch

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2011, 03:40:23 PM »

Well, I'm using VPMedia repaints already- put them into #DBW# folder and Mixx Crime is no more:) (sorry again Mix!) Just hope it doesnt conflict with something.

But Redko's Afrika is surely beyond the "matter of taste" - its AWESOME and surely should replace default Afrika with its puffy Smolensk trees. The main problem is that when its not default, you struggle to play offline campaign on it...

Borsch

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2011, 04:11:24 PM »

Also , while on the subject of repaints... Could someone tell me if its possible to replace "green pines with white tops" back to original grey-white pines on winter Finnish Gulf map. The pattern of "green pines with white tops" is physically uncomfortable to look at, very tiring on the eyes

Borsch

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2011, 07:32:19 AM »

Boomer,

Many, LOADS of thanks for your work with maps in UP3 and DBW, the amount of work that was put in is mind boggling!

Thank you for your extended answer too!
I think it is all clear now.

With regards to VpMedia repaints- his latest ones (which I quoted in my first post) were not included in Perfect Texture Mod in UP2.01, he said so himself on SimHQ. They are
 quite a bit better than the Perfect Textures Mod.

I understand your position with regards to Redko map repaints, I will try to enable them as default myself. Hopefully it wont be too hard.

Thank you again!
S!

Borsch

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2011, 10:50:15 AM »

Thanks Boomer!

I will try to get somwhere with this myself and if I get stuck at some point, I'll ask for help.

Right now though I am looking at this warning from DBW sticky:

Warning: If you have customised your all.ini, or static.ini before:  Build 1.3 contains many new maps. If you have installed new maps on your own in DBW, you are advised to carefully edit your all.ini with a file compare program, like winmerge. Your #DBW\STD\i18n\maps.properties and maps_ru.properties will also need to be updated. See the features document of build 1.3 for a list of maps added to the all.ini.

~ Copy the downloaded build 1.3 files into your main game installation.
(Part 1-5 contains SFS archives called updbw_mapex_01.sfs to updbw_mapex_05.sfs. They go into your main game folder, replacing the placeholders put there in build 1.2)

We did warn you about installing maps on your own! There will be another big map expantion in not too long a time.
Players who have not added maps by themselves or edited any maps, do not have to worry about a thing.

How much should I be worried? I would hate to have to reinstall UP3rc3/DBW1.3 all over again if I mess it up (the IL2 folder is 15Gb already, so I am reluctant to back it up  as well). How much damage can I do by messing up with making Redko maps default? How hard will it be to put it back to default when DBW/UP3 updates show up?
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.068 seconds with 24 queries.