Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Team International Brigade - Andalucia Map about to Take to the Skies  (Read 22729 times)

RAF74_Bimmer

Re: Team International Brigade - Andalucia Map about to Take to the Skies
« Reply #24 on: October 04, 2010, 10:32:20 AM »

I'm also getting lock-ups in the FMB around the Gibraltar area when I try to zoom in. This only seems to occur on the 1024 version of the map. Any ideas what might be causing this?

agracier

• Modder
    • The Great War in a Different Light
« Reply #25 on: October 04, 2010, 10:48:04 AM »

I'm also getting lock-ups in the FMB around the Gibraltar area when I try to zoom in. This only seems to occur on the 1024 version of the map. Any ideas what might be causing this?

Unfortunately it is still an Il-2 mystery. All kinds of ideas have been considered and tried out. The actors are the same in both versions, so it would probably not be the actors file causing it. Leaves the texture files themselves, but this would something new, either textures load when the map loads and all is well from there on in that area, or else a faulty texture will keep a map from loading at all.

And then why only around Gibraltar or map edges. I tried it out with a hugely reduced Gibraltar set of objects and that wasn't the problem either.

Maybe I should try out a new set of 1024 textures, the map could certainly do with a new set, but putting them together is rather time-consuming and there are other maps to finish.

RAF74_Bimmer

« Reply #26 on: October 04, 2010, 11:16:01 AM »

Understood. I'll tinker with it when I have some time and let you know if I stumble across anything. Thanks.

EDIT: Also I should mention that the problem for me is not just in the FMB. I actually first noticed the lock-ups playing mission #2 of Poltava's I-15 campaign. The really odd thing is that they aren't "lock-ups" per se, but just pauses. When flying west-southwest along the coast toward Gibraltar, any switch to full zoom or magnified gunsight view in a roughly 60 degree cone directly forward will cause the game to pause until you switch back to a lower zoom or move the view outside the cone. As you get closer to the target area, the problem intensifies. Similarly, if you try to use an exterior view of the AI aircraft over the target zone, you will have a pause until you switch to another view.

It feels like something cannot be rendered in full detail, but shows up OK at a distance. What this is, I have no idea.

agracier

• Modder
« Reply #27 on: October 04, 2010, 12:12:10 PM »

Understood. I'll tinker with it when I have some time and let you know if I stumble across anything. Thanks.
It feels like something cannot be rendered in full detail, but shows up OK at a distance. What this is, I have no idea.

Here is an actors without the large number of Gibraltar and Ceuta objects.

https://www.mediafire.com/?aokvh7dg5ai72e9

Given your observations and thoughts it does still seem most likely that rendering a large number of objects might have something to do with it. Maybe you can conclude something more.

But if you do wish to try out this actors. BACKUP THE ORIGINAL FIRST!

Another thought: one of these days I will undoubtedly redo Andalucia, from the bottom up probably. It is a region dear to my heart and besides that this is an older map and there have been so many advances and new techniques in map-making that an update would be very useful. There are the new South European/Desert House repaints available for one thing and with those wonderful airfield textures on Mixx's Khalkin-Gol map, it seems like airfields with concrete/sand plates just don't look as good anymore. The old airfields urgently need an update.

RAF74_Bimmer

« Reply #28 on: October 04, 2010, 09:55:30 PM »

I tried out the revised actors.static - no dice. Same problem still exists. I looked at the load.ini and load2.ini and I do see some differences. Load2.ini lists no texture files in the [WOOD] section, and also has a [TMAPED] entry where load.ini does not. I'm not sure of the significance of these differences, but I'll fool around with it more and see if I can track something down.

agracier

• Modder
« Reply #29 on: October 05, 2010, 01:20:31 AM »

I tried out the revised actors.static - no dice. Same problem still exists. I looked at the load.ini and load2.ini and I do see some differences. Load2.ini lists no texture files in the [WOOD] section, and also has a [TMAPED] entry where load.ini does not. I'm not sure of the significance of these differences, but I'll fool around with it more and see if I can track something down.

I don't think either a lack of RGB 24 [WOODS] or a tmaped entry makes a difference. I've made enough maps without [WOODS] this last year, and it doesn't effect anything on those maps. And I've also made tmaps for several other maps and once again no effect on those either. I do confess to not having tried turning off the tmap entry, might be something to try out, but I doubt it.

It must be something else ... yet I've no clue.

RAF74_Bimmer

« Reply #30 on: October 05, 2010, 08:08:37 AM »

Well, I tried systematically replacing all the textures called in load_2.ini with those in load.ini with no success. Between the revised actors.static and the lack of success changing textures, I'm fairly baffled (but then I understand very little of how all this works).

WhiteCat

• Modder
« Reply #31 on: October 12, 2010, 11:42:05 AM »

Agracier, the retextured version of the map is so good that gives me the creeps to fly over my own country, remembering those sad events. I tried Poltava's campaigns and the experience is so real that for the first time in this game I realize how must feel to be British and fly over Canon's Channel map for example, specially if you know of people whose parents or grandparents were directly involved in the conflict, for example.

That is as good as it is your work :)

kapteeni

• Modder
« Reply #32 on: October 12, 2010, 12:36:33 PM »

Agracier, the retextured version of the map is so good that gives me the creeps to fly over my own country, remembering those sad events. I tried Poltava's campaigns and the experience is so real that for the first time in this game I realize how must feel to be British and fly over Canon's Channel map for example, specially if you know of people whose parents or grandparents were directly involved in the conflict, for example.

I did have a same feeling when i took my first ever flight over Gulf Of Finland when Forgottenn Battles was published yers ago..

Here is link to version 1.01 :
https://www.mediafire.com/?okcjwjzmzdm
Hope that this helps, if you can't ge the map work...

agracier

• Modder
« Reply #33 on: October 12, 2010, 02:21:10 PM »

Thanks very much ... we go to Spain every year and Andalucia holds a special place especially. So much so that we'll be moving there in a few years. I've always felt that trying to get the textures right for a landscape is one of the most important aspects of making a map feel right ... in this case I've at least had the experience of being there which helps out when trying to imagine a place in Il-2 terms ...

And in a few weeks from now, we ought to have a map for Madrid/Jarama/Brunete ready. This is another good team effort with the new SE houses by Lejo who also made wonderfully atmospheric templates for villages, farms, towns, Madrid itself, el Escorial and other places ... with his help in populating I predict this Madrid map should be a great addition to SCW maps for the game.

Triad773

• Triad's website
« Reply #34 on: October 12, 2010, 03:00:44 PM »

Ah- and then no wonder you did such a nice job on The Alhambra. I was there more years ago then I care to remember-- that and Malaga. I remember laughing when the hotel we were in put us in a room that faced out on the harbor, with a US Destroyer that happened to be in port at the time that filled our window. Like they wanted us to feel at home or something  :D

Needless to say it was a very memorable trip that I remember to this day- I can understand now how you are inspired  ;D

agracier

• Modder
« Reply #35 on: October 12, 2010, 03:49:47 PM »

Here's a view of the FMB for Madrid

If you liked the Alhambra on the map, then you should certainly find Lejo's templates even better. With his Mediterranean repainted houses, and his talent for making great looking towns and villages, this one will look great from the air. Since most of the landscape is rather flattish, despite the relatively high elevation of the Meseta, we tried to bring in some variation by having objects in sight virtually constantly. But without being too dense of course, except in Madrid. And even there the large housing blocks should make frame rates acceptable ...

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up

Page created in 0.102 seconds with 23 queries.