Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: LandLight.mat and CloudShadows.mat used in full potential  (Read 8582 times)

Avala

• Modder
LandLight.mat and CloudShadows.mat used in full potential
« on: January 03, 2011, 10:05:42 AM »

I know that all of us probably know what they are and what they are used for. But recently I was working with them more and now
I think that we can use them more.

As you know they are mentioned in load.ini file of every map in line:

[LIGHT]
LandLight = LandLight.mat
CloudShadows = CloudShadows.mat

I would suggest that when making a map and load.ini file for your map you move them in your textures folder. You can even change the names, important is the correct path to them and what says in them (BTW I think its good way to do also if you are using your own clouds for the map)

I did it like this:

[LIGHT]
 LandLight = Avala/serbia/Zemlja.mat
 CloudShadows = Avala/serbia/Senke.mat

In this way no one can mess with your map settings and you can fine tune your map and show people exactly what you intend to show them.

In 4.10 patch "the default" maps like Slovakia and Bessarabia can't be tuned by changes in "LandLight.mat and CloudShadows.mat" like we did before. (moded maps can) So, my guess would be that TD realize (or just stole the idea) that maps are looking better, and just move the files somewhere (but we cannot know this for sure until we see those map's load.ini files).

What those files are changing? As far as I have noticed:

LandLight.mat:

Ambient

This line determines the lighting and contrast on the ground (don't forget that the ground is 3D object, just like the planes). When you increase the number behind it, your ground textures are getting brighter and your ground is getting less contrasted, more dull. Map looks less relief. When you decrease the number, your textures are getting darker and you overall ground is getting darker. But map has more visible contrasts on the 3D mesh. For example side of the mountain which is in shadow, or side of the gorge which is in shadow will be more darker, and that brings more contrast to the ground. Ground looks more relief, more 3D, more realistic.

Diffuse

This line works more with colors on ground textures. When you increase the number behind it your textures for the ground are getting more brighter and intensive in colors. When you decrease it, textures are getting more darker with less intensive colors on them. In my opinion its best to set it in contrast with "Ambient" line. Dark "Ambient" (and you will have shadows darker) and bright "Diffuse" (you will have side of the mountain which is in the sun more brighter) and in that way overall better looking map. With this, I think that there is no more need for so many texture tunings in photoshop.

CloudShadows.mat

Has only one line:

Diffuse

Which determines intensity of the clouds shadows on the ground. Bigger the number, darker shadows. Be careful, I think that shadows actually does affect performance, while "LandLight.mat" does not affect performance at all.

I have these screenshots just as a example, but you can see it for yourself how it is really working (and looking) only if you try it on your own maps which you know the best, and in that way you will see the differences the best. I can guaranty that you will be surprised how your maps are looking more 3D with more realistic geography.

Time on all screenshots are 16:30.

SAS~Malone

• flying as #46 with the FAC
  • Editor
  • proud member of that 'other' site
Re: LandLight.mat and CloudShadows.mat used in full potential
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2011, 11:18:59 AM »

this is cool stuff, thanks for your 'explorer' work with these values, Avala....
i'll be sure to use this info for my own experiments... ;D ;)
.....taking fun seriously since 1968.....  8)

redko

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2011, 03:38:31 PM »

So Agracier wasn't wrong. There is something new in the way light works on maps now with 4.10.
Did you send this to Agracier too ?

Avala

• Modder
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2011, 04:17:39 PM »

this is cool stuff, thanks for your 'explorer' work with these values, Avala....
i'll be sure to use this info for my own experiments... ;D ;)

Experimenting is the key word here.

In the next few days I will also write how to made and use bump maps (known as BumpH in IL2). Nvidia took care of that with plug-in for photoshop  :P

So Agracier wasn't wrong. There is something new in the way light works on maps now with 4.10.
Did you send this to Agracier too ?

eeeer, nooo  ::) Was hoping that he drop at superschool from time to time. Will do it now  :)

agracier

• Modder
    • The Great War in a Different Light
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2011, 04:55:26 PM »

eeeer, nooo  ::) Was hoping that he drop at superschool from time to time. Will do it now  :)

I got the line and many thanks for it ... this is very useful and of course another step added to the complexity of map making. But which could give very good results indeed.

By the way, with the 4.09 and 4.10 forums effectively doubling the number of sections to follow, I get lost there enough already ... I have to make a habit of checking in here too.

Avala

• Modder
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2011, 02:50:27 PM »

I must correct myself, seems that TD didn't change anything in "LandLight.mat and CloudShadows.mat" and that I made a mistake when testing by not exited the game, and thus getting the same looking maps.

Anyway, plus for us, we can use it.

Avala

• Modder
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2011, 09:17:13 AM »

Here are the already made files:

https://www.mediafire.com/?aofq8q55878l6aq

Drop it in MODS folder or put them where Boomer explained. There is also CloudShadows for playing.

Boomer, thank you on this simplification  :)

Slikk

• Modder
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2011, 09:39:48 AM »

Thanks for this Avala.

And thanks for the example Boomer.

This helps out a lot.

Slikk

slipper

• Modder
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2012, 09:00:21 AM »

Avala

Could you please upload the Landlight.mat files and the cloud shadows please, or can someone explain how to make a cloudshadows.mat file please (i can follow Boomers for the Landlight)

Cheers all

slipper

mandrill

• Modder
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2012, 10:31:11 AM »

Thanks for opening up an interesting new area in map making!

Avala

• Modder
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2012, 12:55:44 PM »

Avala

Could you please upload the Landlight.mat files and the cloud shadows please, or can someone explain how to make a cloudshadows.mat file please (i can follow Boomers for the Landlight)

Cheers all

slipper

Here they are, I currently use these in my HSFX install:

https://www.mediafire.com/?cc5o435iv2czi1b

In short: you have only one value in "CloudShadows.mat", that's "Diffuse 1.10". With increasing the number you make your ground shadows of the clouds darker, of course with lower value shadows are more bright. I think that the default value is 0.60, but thats just too "soft" for me, the real world is much more contraster than that.

Just saw that I have picked up my cloud textures too with the "mat" files. They are not essential for the work with "CloudShadows.mat" and "LandLight.mat", that was just my mistake  :D

slipper

• Modder
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2012, 01:52:34 PM »

Thanks a lot mate, really appreciated

regards

slipper
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.073 seconds with 27 queries.