Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: Djibouti Map version 3 - Download Link  (Read 39938 times)

agracier

• Modder
    • The Great War in a Different Light
Djibouti Map version 3 - Download Link
« on: November 06, 2010, 06:40:58 AM »

Here is a link to the newest version of Djibouti. Unless you are particularly attached to previous versions of this map, it is suggested that you delete the older versions completely and install this version as if it were a new map. Missions made on previous versions will still work. Airfields have been retained as they were, though possible targets may no longer exist since virtually all objects, towns, villages and such have been redone from scratch.

More on this in the notes included in the download.

A small hint on flying times on this map. There used to be a saying 'Only mad dogs and Englishmen go out in the noonday sun.' This should apply for this map too. Midday flying will give harsh and overly bright landscapes, unless you have specific settings with a Gapa Gamma program or Avala's Mat Lighting mod. Otherwise it is suggested that early morning or late afternoon/evening flying will give the best results visually, along with use of hazy/poor/blind weather.

Download Link
https://www.mediafire.com/?w98tkgb1xyz7455

There are notes and links included in the download file. Screenshots can be found here:
https://www.sas1946.com/main/index.php/topic,10258.0.html

This is war-time magazine cover from the UK showing an artist's rendering of the assault on Berbera in Somaliland.

gianluca

Re: Djibouti Map version 3 - Download Link
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2010, 06:45:17 AM »

Hi Agracier and thks a lot for this (I did not have the old one) surely beautiful map!
Can you address me to missions made for this?
Have a nice day!
Gianluca

agracier

• Modder
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2010, 07:01:06 AM »

Hi Agracier and thks a lot for this (I did not have the old one) surely beautiful map!
Can you address me to missions made for this?

I don't think I've ever encountered any missions made for this map. It's of an obscure theater of war where not much of importance happened. I made it primarily because of the landscapes and vistas and the exotic aura that the area evokes.

I made a few missions for myself, mainly for testing, but these are usually with many planes and are a bit of a free for all. Nor are all planes skinned properly either.

Mick

• Modder
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2010, 07:14:52 AM »

THX a lot for sharing Agracier

As I am that dumb as to be unable to make missions myself from scratch (I can tweak them then) would you be so kind as to post the ones you made for testing the map... ??  ;)

agracier

• Modder
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2010, 07:28:38 AM »

As I am that dumb as to be unable to make missions myself from scratch (I can tweak them then) would you be so kind as to post the ones you made for testing the map... ??  ;)

Uhhh ... OK ...

https://www.mediafire.com/?x31yj08j5z40gzh

I don't pay much attention to historical accuracy at times with these missions. Sometimes I also use planes as hacks, so that nationality is not always consistent. But they are useful if you just wish to shoot down a lot of enemies ... ha ha.

Mick

• Modder
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2010, 07:58:36 AM »

But they are useful if you just wish to shoot down a lot of enemies ... ha ha.

THX so much Agracier, I promise to cherish and tweak them like there was no tomorrow and post the result for the community, provided I somehow manage to install the map that is ...  :P

mandrill

• Modder
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2010, 09:06:30 AM »

Very nice little city. Is it based on photos? Or just your own inspiration?

agracier

• Modder
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2010, 09:16:33 AM »

Very nice little city. Is it based on photos? Or just your own inspiration?

Mostly imagination ... I looked up the location and how the general layout was regarding the bay and such, but in our time, then postulated a small European quarter back in 1930's-40's. Afterward it was more a question of getting a pleasing effect visually. The same applies to the other towns.

On another possible map in preparation, I did however manage to find a number of nicely detailed maps regarding the main city of the area. And since it's not too large, there might, stressing the word 'might', there might be a possibility of copying the main city (well town really) fairly accurately, or let's say recognizably as based on old maps.

Not going to say where yet, but let's say if you think Djibouti is an obscure place in the world, you'll be surprised. It will be a desert map.

Mick

• Modder
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2010, 10:01:41 AM »

... It will be a desert map.

...  :P  ;D

Agracier we need one of our campaign maker friends to do something with this :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/East_African_Campaign_%28World_War_II%29

agracier

• Modder
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2010, 10:16:33 AM »

...  :P  ;D

Agracier we need one of our campaign maker friends to do something with this :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/East_African_Campaign_%28World_War_II%29

Very good link. And I may have to redo the FMB maps to include some flags I seem to have overlooked ... a colorful array they are on Commonwealth and Allied side.

SAS~Bombsaway

• Choose your battles wisely.
  • SAS Team
  • A day without laughter is a day wasted
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2010, 11:38:28 AM »

Great map Agracier but when I saw that old shallows texture I made for you back in 2009 I was thinking" Oh my that's terrible" That's back when I first started making these things. Have you ever look at some of your older work and thought " Did I really make that?  ??? " I have been trying to make one for desert maps that looks ok and so I saw this old texture and decided to see if guys like the newer one. I hope you like it most of all.

Here is the link to the page.

https://www.sas1946.com/main/index.php/topic,600.msg112044.html#new
Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

agracier

• Modder
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2010, 11:53:13 AM »

Any shallows texture that I can download is welcome. This one might come in very handy for a new map in the making.

And as for looking at older work. You bet I cringe. And I'll be cringing for a long time to come now that I've learned more about proper populating and had lots of help from Riptide and uufflakke ...
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 9   Go Up

Page created in 0.083 seconds with 25 queries.