Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Ricochet dispersion differences on land and water  (Read 107 times)

WxTech

• Modder
Ricochet dispersion differences on land and water
« on: December 24, 2023, 02:08:31 PM »

I've written here in the relatively recent past about the fiddling I had done with the ricochet behaviour in Bullet.class. Specifically, differentiating between land and water hits and the effect this has on the dispersion of the ricochets. My reasoning is based on the fact of ground generally having both greater roughness and density variation, which is expected to result in greater variance in the angle of deflection in rochochet.

The pair of screen grabs below tell the tale. The views are zoomed in from a good height, and at a fairly steep look-down angle (roughly 45 degrees). When shooting from my 8-gun Hurricane, I was striking the ground at a nearly grazing angle so as to generate the maximum number of ricochets. (The probability of such commences at an angle of incidence of 25 degrees from horizontal, and increases at ever lower angles down to in-plane with the surface.) On the left is a burst against ground, on the right are hits on water, the dust/spray of the hits is well visible. The plane is located by the arrows. I've overlaid lines to more clearly reveal the fan-shaped range of angle, which is notably wider for the land strikes. Note that the dispersion applies in elevation angle as well, where the occupied volume is essentially half a cone (the other half would be below the surface.)

I'll remind of a very recent addition to this class whereby the ricochets from ground covered by the 'layer cake' forest are dramatically reduced, on the principle of the trees/shrubbery/loamy ground absorbing energy and projectiles, thus reducing in number the escape of those deflected.

[click for larger]
Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people. - Hyman Rickover (but probably predating his use.)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.092 seconds with 25 queries.