Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Strange Airfield texture Bug ???  (Read 7977 times)

VonWaffen

• Modder
Strange Airfield texture Bug ???
« on: January 19, 2016, 11:07:36 AM »

Hi
I don t know if someone else experience this in the  QMB  in the  Cup channel map  for a Blue scramble mission.
 We take off from Amien  but the Airfield texture is wrong , seem to be a small town one  as you can see on the screen shot after a short trip   flying over Abbeville  it seem other Airfield are ok ....  It s just me who mess up my game or anyone could confirm this...

Strange Amien Airfield texture    Cup Channel map   Blue scramble  QMB pro mod    Cup MME14  WAW17

The enemy is stupid. Believing it's us the enemy,when it's him

henkypenky

• BAT 4.2 Flashpoint & WAW
Re: Strange Airfield texture Bug ???
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2016, 12:26:26 PM »

I can confirm this; red scramble has the same texture. MME14 & WAW18 + fixes

'MadDog'

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2016, 12:30:53 PM »

Yes, this is exactly the same issue I posted about previously, so it is something that has happened to the map itself through one of the MME updates.

BlackAce7727

• BAT, UP, DBW
  • Skinner
  • Clown #77
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2016, 12:45:47 PM »

Well at least this airfield has plenty of taxying routes....but strange error....
Let the victor be justice...

KiwiBiggles

• Modder
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2016, 12:53:24 PM »

Fellas, try this fix. If it solves your bug, let the C.U.P. editors know. 

https://www.mediafire.com/download/y8s7rysynrvmj7e/Objects_Blank_Kronstadt.zip

Fix in this download is a "blank" version of the Kronstadt01 plate, used in the past by map builders to make the environs of an airfield "smooth" for taxiing.

Path of plate object is 3do/Buildings/Russia/Piter/Kotlin/Kronstadt01

If required, would possibly best be implemented in C.U.P. as a JSGME option.

All the best,
KB

VonWaffen

• Modder
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2016, 12:59:58 PM »

Thanks  I will try the fix when i get back home... Kind happy it s not me  who mess something  , it s a main map of the game
The enemy is stupid. Believing it's us the enemy,when it's him

KiwiBiggles

• Modder
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2016, 01:20:21 PM »

Iirc its a modified Kronstadt plate, an early solution to smooth the surface of the entire airfield. Its not a good solution because it makes the Kronstadt city texture on the stock Gulf of Finland invisible. Nowdays there are large blank parking plates, a dozen of them can cover the entire field.

Agreed Istvan, best long term fix would be to edit the map to use the updated large blank plate objects, rather than the blank version of the Kronstadt01 plate.

By the way, for those who didn't know already, Kronstadt, St. Petersburg (then Leningrad) is significant in the IL-2 universe as the setting for Stuka ace Hans-Ulrich Rudel's sinking of the Soviet battleship Marat.

KB

'MadDog'

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2016, 02:04:31 PM »

Do you gentlemen have any insight into why the base plates exhibit this behaviour? Something has overwritten them in the map but how do we find out what?

KiwiBiggles

• Modder
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2016, 02:24:10 PM »

I believe the original channel map always used the Kronstadt01 plate.  Either that, or there were edited versions in circulation which did.  The other way to obtain "smooth" or "frictionless" airfields back in the day was "Zuti's Friction Mod" - an entirely different method not dependent on plate objects.

Some versions of the game included the blank version of the Kronstadt01 plate by default, for example UltraPack 2 (I think).  Some object packs also included the blank plate, because they had been extracted from large mod packs which also included the blank plate.

So, if by chance, you had a map with Kronstadt01 plates, and a game version with blank versions of the plate - happy days.

If not, you need to install a blank version of the plate into your mods folder, and everything works.

The downside of this solution, as Istvan points out, is that it messes up the stock Gulf of Finland map that the original non-blank Kronstadt01 plate was designed for.  In which case the player can easily disable the blank plate in his mod folder if he wants to use the stock Gulf of Finland map. The long term fix, however, is to edit modified maps that utilise "blank" Kronstadt01 plates to use a custom blank plate that doesn't effect the stock Kronstadt01 plate.

If this is a new bug in C.U.P., either a different version of the map has been installed (one with Kronstadt01 plates) or a "blank" version of the Kronstadt01 plate has been overwritten with a "stock" version.

That's a bit of a long-winded explanation, but I hope it helps?  :)
KB

KiwiBiggles

• Modder
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2016, 02:50:11 PM »

By the way, if you're not sure what is meant by a smooth or frictionless airfield: taxi on a stock map. 

On the runway plates, the ride is "smooth".  If you taxi off the runway plates on to the "grass", the ride is "bumpy".  The amount of "bumpiness" is the "friction" setting.  Plates, like runways, taxi-ways and the Kronstadt01 plate, have a friction setting of 0 (as near as I can figure). Zuti's Friction Mod adjusted the friction setting within a user-defined set of (square) co-ordinates on the map so as to make an entire airfield suitable for taxiing and taking off--for example a Battle of Britain grass field.

If a player or map-editor didn't want to use the Friction Mod (which was not always compatible with different modded versions of the game) the airfield could be covered with plates to achieve a similar low-friction effect over the whole area.  The hitch was the texture for the plate had to be made invisible, otherwise the odd graphic effect. Hence modified "blank" or "invisible" texture-less Kronstadt01 plates. :)

KiwiBiggles

• Modder
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2016, 03:29:50 PM »

For the C.U.P editors: Another possible fix is to just clone a copy of the "blank" Kronstadt01 plate in the static.ini, with a different object name, say "KronstadtBlank", then edit "Kronstadt01" to "KronstadtBlank" in the actors.ini of any affected maps with a text editor?

KB

Uzin

• Modder
  • On lifetime holidays
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2016, 03:37:58 PM »

@ KiwiBiggles:
Similar observation made with canonuk's BlankFieldPlates.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.082 seconds with 24 queries.