Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Devastator in 4.11 !!!!  (Read 4640 times)

Scharnhorst1943

Re: Devastator in 4.11 !!!!
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2011, 10:25:49 PM »

Yea, at the time of introduction, it was, "state of the art". Perhaps the best in the world, at the time. I believe, it was the USN's first all metal aircraft with folding wings, retractable landing gear and enclosed canopy. But by 1941, it was obsolete. I guess that's why the USN had already ordered the TBF. BTW, Poor torpedos didn't help.

From Wikipedia:

"The XTBD Devastator, which flew for the first time on 15 April 1935, marked a large number of "firsts" for the U.S. Navy.[3] It was the first widely-used carrier-based monoplane as well as the first all-metal naval aircraft, the first with a totally-enclosed cockpit, the first with power-actuated (hydraulically) folding wings; it is fair to say that the TBD was revolutionary.[4] A semi-retractable undercarriage was fitted, with the wheels designed to protrude 10 in (250 mm) below the wings to permit a "wheels-up" landing with only minimal damage. A crew of three was normally carried beneath a large "greenhouse" canopy almost half the length of the aircraft. The pilot sat up front; a rear gunner/radio operator took the rearmost seat, while the bombardier occupied the middle seat. During a bombing run, the bombardier lay prone, sliding into position under the pilot to sight through a window in the bottom of the fuselage, using the Norden Bombsight.[5]"

@ Pursuivant:
Excellent read. I really enjoyed it. I never knew that the first time they ever took off with a torpedo load out was on June 4th to attack the IJN fleet ... WOW! Those poor bastards did not stand much of a chance ... just incredible. How would you like to have the Battle of Midway be your very first combat mission? Just a little bit daunting if I do say so myself ...

Also more on the Avengers ... they also had very bad losses until American tactics changed. TBF Avenger effectiveness was not very proficient until 1943.

slipcork

• slipcork
  • " It's what's inside a man that he fears."
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2011, 08:18:26 PM »

Well put Scharnhorst.

duffys tavern

« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2011, 04:18:15 AM »

yea, those torpedo crews had a tough job and they didn't scare easy.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.08 seconds with 25 queries.