Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 ... 13   Go Down

Author Topic: Hawaiian Islands repaint by Whitecat - Download now v1.1  (Read 58558 times)

WhiteCat

• Modder
Re: Hawaiian Islands repaint by Whitecat
« Reply #36 on: November 12, 2010, 01:10:37 PM »

Tnx mate :) I've looked in wikipedia now and both Kilauea and Mauna Loa have been pretty active intermittently across the 20th century so I think makes sense to make them active in the map.

Besides in the case of Hawaii, it's not only a map for Pearl Harbour, it can be for example the initial mission of any campaign training on new aircraft in the navy in the 1950s, 1960s, etc :) nowadays with these marvelous mods like 1956 one can't assure we do maps for the 1940s anymore :D

Re the smoke objects certainly I've thought about it, I haven't tested yet but I sort of remember reading somewhere that you can't save smoke objects in the actors.static. No worries though, in that case I'll deliver a mission template only with smokes. Again, as few objects as possible, I think it's better to leave that to mission builders to avoid conflicts :)

WhiteCat

• Modder
« Reply #37 on: November 12, 2010, 01:14:51 PM »

Or of course just for the heck of fun have a mission just flying a Tiger Moth photographing Kilauea eruptions in the 1940s for National Geographic or Paris Match!! :D

Triad773

• Triad's website
« Reply #38 on: November 12, 2010, 01:24:28 PM »

Sounds great!

I found this image I already had online where I populated The Target Island with targets.

Note the brownish texture: maybe more red to indicate its volcanic nature?

Triad

WhiteCat

• Modder
« Reply #39 on: November 12, 2010, 01:34:51 PM »

Yeah no worries, that texture is a stock one from MTO map. I'm changing all of them, I appreciate Saburo's effort though. The Map_T needs some small changes but not too many really, there has been an effort in the map to be accurate and the only thing that really needs (IMHO) is more exotic and less european textures :)

Triad773

• Triad's website
« Reply #40 on: November 12, 2010, 01:42:35 PM »

Maybe even the hue is more inline with Viking's original Grand Canyon map? Not the texture itself, but colour?

What ever you do I am looking forward to it :)

WhiteCat

• Modder
« Reply #41 on: November 12, 2010, 01:52:51 PM »

I think one of the Agracier's textures for Spain is gonna be good candidate for that island but I have to check also that all the textures blend together well, wherever that texture is present elsewhere in the map. You know, I've discovered some interesting behaviors in Il2 render engine, it's not only that similar textures in color mix better, actually the render engine (at least the Open GL) renders the borders differently if the textures are inside a certain threshold of similarity...

Hope not being very obscure, anyway leave it to me mate :)

Uufflakke

• Modder
« Reply #42 on: November 12, 2010, 03:28:22 PM »

If textures don't blend very well there are several tutorials/tips/tricks here to make them blend nicely in an easy way.

https://www.sas1946.com/main/index.php/topic,9348.0.html

Your volcano reminds of a way in FMB how to simulate a working volcano.
You can find it here, I tried it out, it works, but need some tweaking I think.
Mission here:

http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/50910533/m/2231096514

And looks like this:

"The Best Things In Live Aren't Things"

SAS~Tom2

• SAS Honourable Member
  • no sweat
« Reply #43 on: November 12, 2010, 03:46:05 PM »

And I thought this one was with a bomb/artillery explosion in it. Working textures sound almost like science fiction! :o :) Great!..

it is amazing how different those 8 islands look from aboce, whole lot of variety in vegetation and topography +land's and coasts charakter.

This is from a German Wikipedia link:
http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hawaii

Niihau:

Kaua'i/Kauai:

Oahu:

Molokai:

Lanai:

Kohoolave:

Northeast..
Maui:

Hawaii:

WhiteCat

• Modder
« Reply #44 on: November 13, 2010, 11:17:37 AM »

If textures don't blend very well there are several tutorials/tips/tricks here to make them blend nicely in an easy way.

https://www.sas1946.com/main/index.php/topic,9348.0.html

Your volcano reminds of a way in FMB how to simulate a working volcano.
You can find it here, I tried it out, it works, but need some tweaking I think.
Mission here:

http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/50910533/m/2231096514

And looks like this:

Cheers pal, it's nice :) But Iwo wasn't as active as Hawaii during the attack right? I think the smoke coming from the crater in some campaigns like Philk's is more due to burning subterranean japanese defenses

Thanks a lot, I didn't know that tutorial but I was using already that sort of tricks in Photoshop and 2 or 3 more I'll share when I have time :)

WhiteCat

• Modder
« Reply #45 on: November 13, 2010, 11:20:00 AM »

And I thought this one was with a bomb/artillery explosion in it. Working textures sound almost like science fiction! :o :) Great!..

it is amazing how different those 8 islands look from aboce, whole lot of variety in vegetation and topography +land's and coasts charakter.

Uufflake example is using fire and smoke objects really, but combining that with lava textures will be nice :)

Thanks for the pictures

WhiteCat

• Modder
« Reply #46 on: November 13, 2010, 11:21:49 AM »

Testing different forest ground and mountains, still not definitive textures but getting there:

Pursuivant

« Reply #47 on: November 14, 2010, 05:38:30 AM »

Textures look great, but some things to keep in mind.

1) Sometimes commercial pictures will have unusually intense blues and greens due to the use of filters and/or photo editing tricks. I think that your textures strike a good balance between the "too yellow" textures of many of the stock maps and the "too green" appearance of a tourist postcard.

2) Volcanoes have altered the coastline of Hawaiian islands (especially Hawaii) over the last 60 years. Don't use modern aerial photographs when placing your lava flows!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 ... 13   Go Up

Page created in 0.081 seconds with 27 queries.